The Division

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Wow lol.... This is the only game I didn't look at since the PS4 reveal. This just went to the top of must have PS4 games. Graphics are amazing. Squad based game with PvP. You can play with a tablet? Hell yes!!!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Publishers are just stupid dicks this generation if they dont release on all platforms.
Developing for PC is 100 times more of a pain in the ass than developing for a console. Consoles always have the exact same hardware. PCs have hundreds if not thousands of different hardware variants/combinations so if you want a quality product you need to make your engine scalable, not to mention all the other stuff you have to do like designing a UI and gameplay interactions with a keyboard+mouse in mind instead of a controller. I don't play but maybe a game or two per year on a console, but I can completely empathize with how painstaking (and costly) it would be to develop a game for PC when you have made an in-house engine.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Developing for PC is 100 times more of a pain in the ass than developing for a console.
It's not so bad now. Dx9 days it was rough yea, especially if you wanted multisampling. You had to have the game test what the card said it was capable of because so many of them would lie.

Now with 10 and 11 you can assume a base level of functionality and ask about the super advanced stuff. Then there's just the quirks between nvidia / ati, and those aren't too bad.

When the new architectures hit, I have no idea what will happen though. DirectX supposedly isn't getting updated again. I don't know much about GL but it seems like they just extend it for new functionality. We might get ati / nvidia specific apis like the early days with glide and such.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's all the various shit that can be found on a PC that makes them hard. The graphics APIs and the two major GPU companies have their shit down pretty much, at least as far as Windows goes, and things are getting better for Linux.

But then you have to think about the fact that it needs to be compatible with Vista onward, with XP support being good if you can swing it.

And then you've got to get the thing to crash as little as possible despite all the crapware people have running on their machine, or have a really good tech site for telling them how to get the crapware off their machine.

Microsoft needs to come up with a Slim Boot option, to go on the startup menu right alongside Safe Mode, that loads only the drivers for your network, graphics, sound and registered input devices and that's fucking it. And then in the next version it has to delete the normal boot mode, because Windows is seriously fucked up. The fact that random installers can still put shovelware and adware and other malware onto your desktop and into your browser without your consent is fucking garbage.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
In fact, if I was CEO of Microsoft, I'd get on that shit tomorrow. I'd march right into the Windows division and tell them that there needs to be a new Windows SKU specifically targeted for high performance applications, and that we're getting out of the console market entirely.

There would be 4 SKUs for Windows on the desktop:
Media Center
Performance
Professional
Ultimate

Media Center would be the basic SKU, designed for home systems without dedicated video cards. It would have web browsing, media playback, some basic productivity apps and that shitty new app store.

Performance would come with no extraneous anything installed, slimmest possible service profile, and have the boot option for the high performance boot.

Professional would be the same as professional now, with domain logon and all the LAN/VPN and security bullshit, and have a boot option for maximum security.

And Ultimate would be literally Performance and Professional, installable on the same partition but with separate registry environments for each, so you could keep each environment completely separate, but you could VM into the Professional environment from the Performance boot so you could still run your productivity apps in the background or on another monitor while you played games.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Developing for PC is 100 times more of a pain in the ass than developing for a console. Consoles always have the exact same hardware. PCs have hundreds if not thousands of different hardware variants/combinations so if you want a quality product you need to make your engine scalable, not to mention all the other stuff you have to do like designing a UI and gameplay interactions with a keyboard+mouse in mind instead of a controller. I don't play but maybe a game or two per year on a console, but I can completely empathize with how painstaking (and costly) it would be to develop a game for PC when you have made an in-house engine.
Really? What exactly do you think every single game at the E3 was being ran on? A fucking PC.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You mean they don't develop games on the consoles themselves? This is an earth shattering revelation.

Next you're going to tell me that those PC's were built specifically with the hardware inside the new consoles so they didn't in any way deceive their potential customers.

Trailer gave me wood.
God dam however this needs to come out on the PC too.
If game looks that amazeing on Next Gen consoles, just imagine how bad ass it would look on Ultra PC.

Cheers.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Just adding that this is probably the most amazing gameplay video I've seen in forever. No word on a release date that I can find and not available for preorder on Amazon yet.
frown.png

DMK_sl

shitlord
When they said 'open world pvp with loot' I felt like there was a sexy nurse with a finger in my ass hitting the g spot. Not that I know what that feels like. I know a guy. No homo.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
This is the only console exclusive that I even remotely give a shit about and by far the most interesting game on the horizon.

spronk

FPS noob
I believe the game is currently set for fall 2014 release so its really far away, anyways

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I believe the game is currently set for fall 2014 release so its really far away, anyways
That's good, means by the time i have to buy a console because this and a couple other games are not on the PC(which is a travesty), the price should be down a little I hope.