The E-cig Thread

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Any of the sub tanks (meaning, the coils used are 'sub 1 ohm', i.e. 0.9 and lower) are much easier to setup then all of our tech talk might make them sound. I only got into vaping this last year, and I still remember how the vape guys at stores talked, forgetting that people don't hear all the ohm,wattage, etc.. talk as a foreign language at first.

It sounds like the ecig pen style wasn't enough for your wife, if she's into a modular setup now, and I'm guessing the modular setup was some kind of basic tank and battery mod to start.

The Aspire Odyssey Kais mentioned is just the name of the package, which includes the Aspire Triton tank and Aspire's Pegasus battery mod. You can buy either part separately if you want, but it's a pretty good value together and probably a very good starting point if you are ok with that price point (70ish total). I was using the prior generation of the Triton tank, the Atlantis, for quite awhile until this last week.

Without know what modular setup you've been using, what you like/dislike about it, it's hard to suggest something else. As an all-around package, that's probably where I'd start.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just ordered this mod...https://www.fasttech.com/p/3331700Its been getting crazy good reviews from all the youtuber vaping community. I still like the single battery minis since I rarely go below .5 ohm on my coils. This shit is getting crazy cheap and crazy good. My last mod, IPV MINI first gen (there is a picture of it somewhere in this thread)was like $65+ and no temp control.

Lately I have been getting back into the sub ohm crap after a summer of vaping on my kanger protank2 with high nic juice. Started roiling my own coils and shit on my kanger subtank mini RDA and its nice. Tried a clapton, which I didnt really like. Its ramp up time was to long. But the twisted 26g I made is nice and have been using it since. 5 wraps at 2.5mm dia came out to be about .7 ohm. Perfect for about 20-22W. thuis shit is turning into a mini hobby of colecting shit like tools and tanks and attys and building your own coils and stuff.

Ive been hearing some good shit about the UD Bellus tank with a rebuildable velocity style deck. It also has top filling which is nice, and the price is nice too, about $25. Its getting good reviews. Im probably going to pick it up although I do like my kanger subtank mini. Its got a small, single coil build deck on it, but IMO its perfect. I even got a 3mm dia coil to fit on this thing. and after using this thing for about 6mos, no leaks yet.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Someone here was asking me for my peppermint juice recipe, a bit late but here it is...

This is for 30ml about 60/40 vg/pg, 6mg juice. If you want higher vg, just have either the flavor or nic mixed 100% vg, all of my flavors and nic that I get are 100%PG base. If you want 3mg, you can cut the nic down to .9ml and just add another .9ml to the VG. The coolada is flavorless but adds that cool mouthfeel to vape. The stevia lquid drops can be found in any grocery store, you can also substitute splenda liquid as well. This obviously adds sweetness. Do not use the packets of sweetener diluted with water or alcohol, they have additives in them since the percentage of actual sweetness in those packets is small.

I have heard that some like to add a bit of vanilla (TFA) flavor to their peppermint flavors in like the 3ml range, I have never tried it but it sounds good, just adjust your VG filler to accommodate the +3ml vanilla flavor. Same goes for the nicotine, if you want, say a 20% nic juice for the old higher ohm tanks, just adjust the nic to 6ml (20% of 30ml) and then adjust the VG base to suite. I use the 100mg nic base because it makes maths easy.

1.8ml 100mg nic juice 100% PG
6ml Peppermint (TFA)
3ml Coolada (TFA)
19.2ml VG
2 drops of stevia (liquid)

I use a kids medicine dropper to measure, they have a dropper style one for 5ml capacity they sell at any drug store. But I usually mix 120ml of the above recipe so I use a 10ml syringe type medicine dropper, again you can find this at any drug store. Just got to be careful with the nic base. That shit can kill you if it gets on your skin for an extended period of time (its a poison that seeps through your skin at that concentration). You can use gloves or just be careful. I have a mug of water that I rinse my droppers with right after I pour the nic base. You do the same for the flavors, after you dropper your flavors, just rinse the dropper in water.

(TFA) is The Flavor Apprentice flavors, any reputable seller of this shit usually stocks TFA flavor concentrates.

This is pretty much the formula for any juice you can dream up, Flavorings account for about roughly 15%-20% of the total. So you could use like 3mg strawberry, 3mg bananna, 3mg vanilla, and call it strawberry banana split! Mix and match any flavorings of your choosing. My wife likes the fruity flavors alot so thats what I mix up for her.

Also, these flavors really taste better in the sub ohm tanks, the old style tanks like the kanger protanks or the nautilus with the coils being 1.5ohm to 2.5ohm cannot really extract that vapor and flavor like the sub ohm tanks can. Sometimes they taste burnt. You really need the volume of vapor that the sub ohm tanks produce to fully appreciate the flavors.

Still, the PG/VG/NIC and flavors are cheap as hell when bought in bulk. I get a 120ml bottle of 100mg nic for about $25 and it lasts me for like a year (thats over 66 30ml bottles worth of juice at 6mg, double that for 3mg).The flavors vary in price, but most you can get for about $5 for a 30ml bottle. So you get all this stuff and youre paying like $.50 for a 30ml bottle you mix up yourself rather than paying $15 for it in vape shops or online. Plus you know exatly whats going into those bottles when you mix them up. also, it does not take too long either. when you get it down after a few mixes, it takes like 10 min to mix up a few 30ml bottles.

Some flavors also need to steep for a while. Like a good wine, they develop over time. So when it tastes like shit, come back to it in a week or two and try it again, you might be surprised. Some even change color over time. Like the black cherry I just mixed up for my wife a few weeks ago. It started a pale off white, and it turned into a reddish brown color over a few weeks. Same with the blackberry I mixed for her, its quite cool.

You can also find copycat formula for all the famous flavors of the major ejuices on the market too, just do a google search for a clone recipe. It mihgt not be exact but close enough and way better price.

Here is where I get all my stuff from...DIY E-Cig Supplies E-Cigarette Liquid | Make Your Own E-Liquid | RTS VapesThey even sell blank 30ml glass bottles with droppers for cheap, and droppers and all that shit. But I just use my old bottles that I have cleaned, also the empty glass 120ml bottles they sent me with the flavors. Order yourself up a $70 order of all the stuff and you will be all set for months, as far as juice is concerned.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Just ordered this mod...https://www.fasttech.com/p/3331700Its been getting crazy good reviews from all the youtuber vaping community. I still like the single battery minis since I rarely go below .5 ohm on my coils. This shit is getting crazy cheap and crazy good. My last mod, IPV MINI first gen (there is a picture of it somewhere in this thread)was like $65+ and no temp control.

Lately I have been getting back into the sub ohm crap after a summer of vaping on my kanger protank2 with high nic juice. Started roiling my own coils and shit on my kanger subtank mini RDA and its nice. Tried a clapton, which I didnt really like. Its ramp up time was to long. But the twisted 26g I made is nice and have been using it since. 5 wraps at 2.5mm dia came out to be about .7 ohm. Perfect for about 20-22W. thuis shit is turning into a mini hobby of colecting shit like tools and tanks and attys and building your own coils and stuff.

Ive been hearing some good shit about the UD Bellus tank with a rebuildable velocity style deck. It also has top filling which is nice, and the price is nice too, about $25. Its getting good reviews. Im probably going to pick it up although I do like my kanger subtank mini. Its got a small, single coil build deck on it, but IMO its perfect. I even got a 3mm dia coil to fit on this thing. and after using this thing for about 6mos, no leaks yet.
I've had that mod for a while as well as its big brother the Wismec Rouleaux RX200 (sister company, same chipset) and they are both pretty much unsurpassed in that they can both do stainless steel temp control for a ridiculously low price.

I found the Subtank to be pretty poor vape wise, depending on how you like to vape (mouth to lung or direct to lung) there are tons of better options out there.

Squape RS Style RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer w/ 5 x Additional Deck - Silver, 316 Stainless Steel, 4.0mL, 22mm Diameter - 3FVape

My favourite mouth to lung tank.

Just to add, pick up an electronic scale that measures down to 0.01 grammes, it makes DIY much faster and more precise.

riptorn

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just read about this recently, havent given it much thought before. Definitely going to try it.
I don't understand this. When using beakers etc, you can't get all the liquid (especially vg) from the glass. What are you using with the scale?

Devlin

Golden Squire
I don't understand this. When using beakers etc, you can't get all the liquid (especially vg) from the glass. What are you using with the scale?
I don't understand which side you're saying you're confused about?

With scales you add your ingredients to your bottle and reset after each one is added. This way you don't really need to use syringes etc. Measuring is very precise and there is less mess, I usually mix 100ml of juice at a time and it takes ten minutes.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, in case anyone didn't know. The FDA is very close to outlawing 99.9% of vaping products on the market. Only those that existed prior to 2007 (a handful of e-cigs like BLU) would still be allowed to exist unless the manufacturers pay $1million PER product (every flavor and combination of nicotine is considered a separate product. So, 3 flavors in 3, 6, 9, 12 and 24 mg nicotine would be 15 separate applications, so $15 million) to be evaluated by the FDA.

This is clearly benefits the big tobacco companies, who own some of the products like NJOY, Fuze and BLU now, by trying to shut down everyone else.

PLEASE go to this linkSend a Message
and submit a letter to your local and state representatives and Obama.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They had to find some way to make up the money they were losing from people vaping instead of smoking.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I saw that. I'm wondering if it's due to lack of tax money from cigarettes, or the number of explosions of vapers in the face of people. Or a matter of kill 2 birds with one stone type of deal.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The sad thing is they are masking this as a "Lets save our poor children from Vaping" campaign, and yet this smells like big tobacco money lining the pockets of these FDA fucks. The old "gateway drug" argument. How somehow vaping will lead people smoke. yeah no shit, if you take away all my means to vape?

Im all for restricting teens and kids from vaping, that's not the issue here, im sure 101% of all adult vapers would get behind that. But these other gestapo like regulations on vape products just basically kills all but the big tobacco vapes. So get ready to pull out your gas station blues again.

Its funny how vaping now is more regulated than smoking itself.

Im buying up all sorts of shit slowly. We all have like 3 or so months (or 2 yrs? from what I have read until the full force of these regulations lands). Im getting some extra mods, batteries, tanks and an ample supply of 100mg nicotine base to last me a while. I guess you can freeze the stuff for longevity. Im thinking of buying a few gal of the shit and throwing it into my freezer in the basement.

I remember like 2 yrs ago I really wanted to open up my own vape shop. Sell some of my own juices and mods and shit. Thank god I never went down that road. I remember thinking to myself, there will come a time when the gov comes down hard on this shit, and sure enough it has and even bigger than I anticipated.

I just got my wife to switch over. Heavy smoker and the only thing that ever worked was vapes. She was hesitant and reluctant to do so, but her father being sick with lung cancer (now dead) finally made her switch. Shes been cig clean for like 6 months now.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I remember seeing part of the argument for the FDA stance, and it had some BS statistic like 'use of vaping among teenagers 18-19 has risen XX%, think of the kids!!' with no mention how many of those kids had been smoking before that. It SHOULD be increasing among 18+, that's the whole point of vaping, it works and more people switch every day.
Talking about teenagers picking up vaping is a useless statistic if it's not compared to how many are quitting smoking in the process. If a teenager, even one under 18, is smoking cigs and switches to vaping, that's a good thing. They were using the 'growth' of vaping among teenagers as part of their basis for this regulation.

As for 'exploding' devices, that's a pretty rare occurrence, and almost unheard of with all the newer mods. It really only happens on mechanical mods, and I really don't see an advantage to using those anymore. It's more of a thing the 'tech' guys like to mess with, and that kind of accident can happen with any redneck tinkering around in his garage. It's not exclusive to the vaping industry. You'd have to outlaw all batteries, chemicals, etc.. to ever prevent that kind of stuff.
The analogy would be if someone lit their home on fire using gasoline, you wouldn't blame the gasoline company. But, somehow vaping gets a bad rep for the dumbshits messing around with home built electrical devices when they don't understand how they work.

Thing is, I DO agree the industry needs some amount of regulation. I would like to know that any e-liquid, no matter where I bought it, was being held to certain quality standards, for example. However, these regulations are just too ridiculous and will kill the entire industry.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
According to the new rule Cigar (each variety) will have to be submitted to the FDA for approval. So goodbye botique cigars as well. Nobody is going to submit a hand rolled cigar for approval considering they are normally limited and change constantly.

Devlin

Golden Squire
As long as you have the nicotine stored none of the rest is a major worry, they just pulled the same shit in Europe.

PG/VG have many uses other than vaping and won't be banned, flavourings are the same deal.

This whole thing is a global conspiracy by tobacco companies bribing politicians. I hate saying that but there isn't any other explanation for it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hey guys. For Father's Day, I wanted to get my Dad a vaporizer, to try and help him to stop smoking. He's been smoking Camel unfiltered for years and years, and he says he's tried vapes before, but without success. So I'm a little late for Father's Day , but still wanted to get it for him. A co-worker recommended this. He says he quit in the normal 3-4 weeks using this.

Aspire - Aspire Starter kit consisting of K1 Glassomizer and G-Power 900mah

Appreciate any suggestions.

fris

Vyemm Raider
i know many that moved from cigs to vapes. some still vape, some quit both. only one i know that still smokes cigs only tried a few vape pens which are notoriously unreliable and eventually break.

that pen looks to be of decent quality, but that would be my main concern. 2nd, is due to it's size, is battery life. can it go a whole day w/o needing to be charged?

if it breaks or runs out of battery, your dad will go back to cigs.

the good thing is most that give vaping a solid try for a week or more, no cigs in that time, have a pretty good success rate in not going back. they will try a cig eventually and realize all the other flavors that they don't want.