The E3 2021 Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I read some guy break down that we're never getting the MP trilogy for switch and it comes down to the shitty fucking wii controls, the amount of work to fix the game play from that wiimote point and shoot game play to the switch would be a lot, way more than could justify the cost. So, yeah, fucking thing sucks.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I read some guy break down that we're never getting the MP trilogy for switch and it comes down to the shitty fucking wii controls, the amount of work to fix the game play from that wiimote point and shoot game play to the switch would be a lot, way more than could justify the cost. So, yeah, fucking thing sucks.

They could just have it use the GameCube controls for the first two.

I guess I made a mistake selling my Wii copy of MPT. Made a lot on that one while expecting a remaster sooner or later. This was in 2018.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I imagine that tune could change if Skyward Sword sells like gang busters.

I was excited to see Metroid Dread; Mario Golf looks fun, like all mario sports games, that was about it.

And, someone commented on the Game & Watch. I think those actually have been selling pretty well for Nintendo? Probably in Japan.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Idk, the game and watch looks OK but I assumed it would be more easily hackable to add more games. I might actually get the zelda one anyway because I am a dirty corporate whore.

Metroid Dread looks fine, I really wanted prime though, I guess they're just giving up on that.

Botw2 looks badass,as expected.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Horizon sure does look good, at least. It's absolutely stunning. So is Ghost. W3 too to an extent. Not so much BOTW because I don't love what I see in that one. It's got this washed-out color palette and I couldn't even get into it visually unlike the others. I put that one down after like five minutes. And I'm historically a huge Zelda fan. Even got it at Switch launch when half the people I know were playing it and raving about it. Maybe I'm a contrarian?

I love Horizon's DLC (then again I'm a huge fan of videogame frozen terrains, same goes for MHW's Iceborne) and I'm looking forward to that more than the main game.

Speaking of MHW...that's the kind of stuff I really get into now. Monster Hunters and Soulsbornes. Also beginning to get into CRPGs because they're something new for me and have the likes of Warcraft 3, Pillars of Eternity, and Planescape Torment on the shortlist.

Just feels weird buying these AAA open world adventures and not being able to get into any of them because the genre is so played-out. Meanwhile I can make time for the dull-as-a-rock AC Valhalla, for some reason.

I didn't even know this one existed, just looked it up and it looks like it'll fit right into my CRPG collection.
Horizon looks okay. The facial tech in Horizon is very outdated--e.g., the eyes kept jiggling and don't track to what they're looking at correctly. Mass Effect 1 facial tech was more realistic. The colors are way too saturated. No, turning up the saturation on your TV does not make your movies "look better" fyi. The graphics are so close to being great that ANY deficiencies in the graphics rendering stands out like a sore thumb and instantly breaks the immersion, and these heavily detract from the overall presentation even if they're small issues. (I don't, however, consider the facial tech a small issue.)

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The 8-4 guys over the weekend said they doubted there would be a Switch Pro announcement at E3 since its not in Japanese daylight business hours. (Obviously there are stock ramifications.)

That means nothing for it coming out this year, mind you, wasnt the 3DS XL two weeks after E3?

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I think they do major announcements early morning or later afternoon or evening in the US via Nintendo Directs. Usually the Nintendo Directs are midday when it's just normal stuff.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Basically, outside of Microsoft (plus the "Onnn Dayyyy Ooonnnne on GamePass") the rest of the show is meh, in term of games.

(I still think Devolver is the most meta good showing)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was pretty hype about the chances for a good nintendo showing until I saw that guy nixing the Metroid Prime stuff, and the rumors (which you can never believe) behind the MP4 stuff is just dire, kind of cut the hopes down to just Zelda info which I guess they did deliver on.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

This is nonsense because if you detatch a Joycon from the Switch then you have a Wiimote.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Without a hardware update, the Switch is going to start looking really god damn old compared to the Xbox and PS5.

Crisco

A greasy jar
Without a hardware update, the Switch is going to start looking really god damn old compared to the Xbox and PS5.
Figure with the chip shortage and nintendo making profit on each item sold i bet it got delayed until they can have non supply constrained production.

I still can find an xbox and no way am i paying scalper prices.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I wasnt expecting much but the Advance Wars reboot is crap. I've been waiting for them to do something with the series since Days of Ruin. Apparently people didn't like Days of Ruin because it was "too dark." Its a game involving war: grow a spine, bitches. So now it's back to happy commanders sending hundreds of men to their deaths I guess.

I was hoping they take the series to space. That would have been nice.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd expect nearly all games to run on the OG Switch and most of the improvements to be in the framerate department rather than looks. I'm hoping for a big improvement in handheld mode, especially a bigger/better screen (and it would be nice if they finally joined the 21st century and put some Gorilla Glass on their shit too, but I suspect Nintendo is too cheap and retarded for that to happen).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is nonsense because if you detatch a Joycon from the Switch then you have a Wiimote.
By "some guy" i should have said one of the senior designers for the Prime games. My bad, idk who people are.

1623796098519.png

He posted this in April, and made other comments intimating that he keeps up with the devs at Retro Studios (he fucking works for Booz Allen now, yikes) so it seems like he would know if this were in development or could feasibly be done. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It could be done.. I think the big problem is that MP3 specifially all the fights would have too be re-tuned(Unless they just don't care but I don't see RETRO skimping on that)..

and also ya figured nothing on MP4.. cause fuck Nintendo now

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
They don't have to convert MP3 to non-motion controls, they can just require the game be played using a Joycon motion controls. TWEWY just rereleased on Switch with such a control scheme, I can't imagine why this wouldn't be possible for MP3.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So, now that this thing's over with, here's the things that actually have my attention:

Stuff I'm actually excited for:
Elden Ring
Breath of the Wild 2

Stuff I'm at least somewhat interested in:
I still want to see Starfield gameplay at some point.
Likewise, Kena Bridge of Spirits continues to look interesting, but at some point they need to actually show an extended gameplay segment.
Cautiously optimistic about Guardians of the Galaxy.
Weirdly enough, Avatar. Guaranteed to be a narrative trash fire, but a Ubisoft-style sandbox where you can free roam around an alien planet on the back of a space pterodactyl? I can probably get on board with that.

And that's honestly it. This was one of the sadder E3s that I can remember.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure there was footage of a single game that made me more interested in paying for it. (Alright, fine, Psychonauts 2's graphics don't look terrible now.)

Given how far off nearly all the newly announced games are, I don't think there's a single new announcement I care about yet either.

I guess this isn't a bad time for chip shortages.