The Elder Scrolls Online

Terial

Trakanon Raider
you know what is good...
-not having stupid pop ups asking you to pay money to buy something
-not starting with 12 inventory slots only to fill up and have to pay to get more
-looting magic items does not cost you money to equip
-not having to worry about some "shard" system to buy things off an internal store

Honestly, this is so refreshing to not have any of that crap all the time. I'd pay $15 a month to never have to see that crap again without batting an eyelash.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Honestly, this is so refreshing to not have any of that crap all the time. I'd pay $15 a month to never have to see that crap again without batting an eyelash.
Depending on the MMO product, realistically, I could justify up to $40 a month... That's about the price of my cable TV service and I barely get any entertainment value from that crap.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How the hell do you get cable for $40/mo, jesus - here it's like $70 for a barebones package.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
How the hell do you get cable for $40/mo, jesus - here it's like $70 for a barebones package.
You bundle it with phone service (that you never use) or opt for the "special" package that they often have. Essentially you never stick with your same package; always keep moving on. Once your introductory deal wears off, get a new one.

As far as the game, if ESO hasn't done away with the trinity, groups and raids could be a lot of fun. There appears to be more emphasis on dodging and strafing than in most other games, and as long as there is a way to keep threat and heal you should be ok.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I've always hated the free to play model, if the game is good, people will pay a monthly fee. I was happy with EQ and happy to pay for the entertainment. if this is good enough to me, i'd be happy to pay as well.
Every Free to play game has lasted no more then 2 weeks due to the whole pay to do anything.
I used to have some games on my iphone, something like Vampire or something, you get to do battles and stuff and eventually they try to get u to buy shards to heal faster, to fight more, to pretty much do anything or you can wait 1+ hours for a timer. That is how _all_ of the free to play games feel to me.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I agree with you. The model is broken as shit. But it's as much broken as paying a sub fee to play a single player game. (TESO, and SWTOR)

Played for an hour ish. Nothing exciting. Certainly didn't feel worthy of a sub fee. Will hopefully get in a longer beta period where there's actually a decent shot at getting a group and seeing if there's much "mmo" to it. Kinda felt like just a nice looking Skyrim single player game. With people running around.

Meh. Don't know what, if anything, I was expecting really. Just something that would elicit more of a feeling of "omg I must play this."
Be careful. Lord Blanco and BW will call you out as an Anti shill or an alt account of mine.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmm, used my beta key last night and downloaded the client. Just got home from work to try and log in before the stress test ends (has 7 min remaining) and I'm getting "Login Failed. Your username or password are incorrect or not active at this time." I'm positive it's the right email/pw since I just used it to log into their website. Am I missing something obvious?

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
The funniest thing about this stress test was all the people going, "WoW kiddies couldn't handle SWTOR/GW2."

Just, wut. I don't even...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hmm, used my beta key last night and downloaded the client. Just got home from work to try and log in before the stress test ends (has 7 min remaining) and I'm getting "Login Failed. Your username or password are incorrect or not active at this time." I'm positive it's the right email/pw since I just used it to log into their website. Am I missing something obvious?
You had to login on the website to verify the email address before you could DL the client from their webpage - that's my only guess what's going on with you.

And on cable services - oh was quoting my bundle price pretty much - I go for the $80/mo package that includes some extras, it's like $70/$10/$0 between TV/Internet/Phone though with a -$15 or something off the top for bundling or some such. So basically the same net, just I guess they're charging you less on the TV portion and more on the others than FiOS is for me ATM.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Anyways, very enjoyable for what I saw of it. Really liked that you had to explore to find everything, and the leveling system was awesome. Having everything level independently of each other scratched that jrpg itch.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
You had to login on the website to verify the email address before you could DL the client from their webpage - that's my only guess what's going on with you.
Yeah I already verified my email address and downloaded the client. I get the error I posted when Im on the login screen for the actual game (not the website)

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Played for an hour ish. Nothing exciting. Certainly didn't feel worthy of a sub fee. Will hopefully get in a longer beta period where there's actually a decent shot at getting a group and seeing if there's much "mmo" to it. Kinda felt like just a nice looking Skyrim single player game. With people running around.

Meh. Don't know what, if anything, I was expecting really. Just something that would elicit more of a feeling of "omg I must play this."
It doesn't feel like it should require a sub, does it.

It looks fun, but I wouldn't say "first time logging into EQ1 / WoW / Anticipated game" fun.

Questions that I would ask would be things like:

Can you "steal" harvesting nodes? -- if so fucking get into 2013 please, that shit needs to be over and done with NOW, GW2 style.
Can you steal mobs?

I guess there are a ton more little things that I have issue with. The main thing, MMO skyrim is pretty sexy but the package is so MEH atm..

tack on that I essentially will be paying for "Skyrim" 2 times on release than I'll essentially be buying another "Skyrim" once every 2 months? Content wise it just doesn't feel worth it.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The problem with the sub model is value. This isn't 1999 and if players are paying for content, then give them content. Even if it's a horrible treadmill, WoW gives a lot of content for it's $15/month. If they want the sub, then they need to make creative content consistently. No color by numbers copy from WoW. I could see paying for EQN. They will be giving a free content creator MMO as part of the purchase early. I'm not willing to pay just to get bags though or reduce annoyances. I'm the consumer and I expect more. I'll show my displeasure by just not buying the game in the first place. I don't pay for MMOs in the first 3 months anymore. There are a ton of other games I can buy used or off steam for that $60-$90.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
The problem with the sub model is value. This isn't 1999 and if players are paying for content, then give them content. Even if it's a horrible treadmill, WoW gives a lot of content for it's $15/month. If they want the sub, then they need to make creative content consistently. No color by numbers copy from WoW. I could see paying for EQN. They will be giving a free content creator MMO as part of the purchase early. I'm not willing to pay just to get bags though or reduce annoyances. I'm the consumer and I expect more. I'll show my displeasure by just not buying the game in the first place. I don't pay for MMOs in the first 3 months anymore. There are a ton of other games I can buy used or off steam for that $60-$90.
That's the thing though, realistically it isn't 60 or 90 dollars.

For most of us we are married or sex friends and a purchase of this type may mean 2x boxes.

So assuming 2 people, 1 year -- ~$460

2 boxes x $50 -- 12 months x 2 x $15 = ~$460

$460 is a TON of steam games. Lets just take the Elder Scrolls Anthology ~$80 and contains ALL elder scrolls games from the beginning to skyrim. How many YEARS of content would that be for 80 dollars?

The comparison is that Guild wars 2, while not an AMAZING game, has had an INSANE push of content in a game that doesn't even have a monthly fee. Relatively, if I am to purchase a game with a monthly fee, that is the standard that i would hold a company to for content generation.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's the thing though, realistically it isn't 60 or 90 dollars.

For most of us we are married or sex friends and a purchase of this type may mean 2x boxes.

So assuming 2 people, 1 year -- ~$460

2 boxes x $50 -- 12 months x 2 x $15 = ~$460

$460 is a TON of steam games. Lets just take the Elder Scrolls Anthology ~$80 and contains ALL elder scrolls games from the beginning to skyrim. How many YEARS of content would that be for 80 dollars?

The comparison is that Guild wars 2, while not an AMAZING game, has had an INSANE push of content in a game that doesn't even have a monthly fee. Relatively, if I am to purchase a game with a monthly fee, that is the standard that i would hold a company to for content generation.
You cannot compare the two genres of games like that though. For me at least, I do not enjoy single player games that much because ive been spoiled on mmos for too long. To me even playing as a single player in a mmo is a vastly superior experience than any single player game. I buy those steam games as well but I just cannot get myself to finish them. Im always thinking, man I could be leveling up some character in an mmo right now, or shooting it up in Black Ops II or BF3...

But I do agree that the monthly cost is just not justified anymore. Shit someone mentioned how wow has this great content push but do they really? 4-5 patches in 2 yrs time? Is that worth the $360?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My thoughts: The game is really fucking pretty and probably more than worth the box price. I didn't see shit worth a sub. At first I wanted to say I hated the controls but it still feels a fuckton better than SWTOR (Not high praise I know). I'd gladly pay an $80 flat fee. Honestly, I think $149 for SWTOR was more than ample payment for what we got including patches. And I think for what has been patched on now, I'd have payed $35 straight up for what's there. The raids in SWTOR are not even remotely WoW-level and therefore don't serve as why I should pay monthly for them but I digress.

$15/month though? No thank you.

Edit: First thoughts were on TESO, but I streamed into talking about SWTOR. Sorry!

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I actually really like sub-based models, even if it doesn't feel "worth it". A lot of the F2P games are just atrocious, even ones that they've converted to F2P. SWTOR is probably the most notorious; it's the worst model I've ever seen since they targeted quality of life aspects, and that should be the last thing you do. However, business wise it *may* be smart; I'd have to see the numbers on that, but I know when I went back to level up republic, I was tempted to sub for a bit because i got so frustrated just doing normal quests - not having a mount till much later, a reduction in exp gain + no rested, not being able to get all of the quest rewards, no bank etc. It was tempting, and I imagine that is their goal - to make it frustrating, because SWTOR's single player game I thought was really fucking awesome, and if you like it, you're probably willing to shell out a sub price just to finish that stuff.

Also, I tend to look at subs not as paying for content/patches, but as upkeep. Xbox live requires a sub, versus playstation (not plus) and it's the general consensus that xbox live is the superior experience.

The FF guy actually mentioned that he wants to keep it as a sub for awhile, because that means he knows what he can work with - you have a steady income, and don't have to rely on (mostly) ridiculous purchases from a store that tend to target only a small demographic. This seems a better way to pay for the relative "quality" of the game, not necessarily length and/or content. I always tend to look at wow patches as something I already paid for when I bought the expansion, and my sub fee the price I pay to ensure a team is keeping the game from breaking.

Unless ESO's end game/multiple player portion just utterly blows, I don't really feel bad about paying a sub price to play the game.

The quality of the game I think is pretty superb; not anything outside of the box or what have you, but it felt really polished over all, was really beautiful, and had a fairly deep and interesting class/skill system. If the sub price is what I am paying to keep a game like that going, well..

That doesn't mean I don't want content, far from it. I stopped both SWTOR and GW2 because of the lack of a real "end-game", so hopefully ESO doesn't fall prey to that too. I do however, think swtor had a lot of shitty mechanics and whatnot - they created a wow clone that just played worst in every aspect, whereas ESO is literally TES online.

We'll have to see, but the sub price is probably winning me over more than it is balking me from paying/playing.