The Elder Scrolls Online

DMK_sl

shitlord
I must have missed that living world MMO in my last two decades of playing these things. The only two worlds that came close were AC2 and SWG, both RIP. The rest of the crop were static respawn fests. Even DAOC which had the best PVP really lacked real objectives and real change.

EQ was most fucking certainly not a living world. Great design and ahead of its time, but nothing ever changed on it. EQ's faction system, classes, and races as well as important items are what made it what it was. It was not living in any sense.

I'm still waiting for technology to catch up and enable what we want. The problem is EQ Next is finally pushing the technology changes we want, but doing it in a Little Big Planet way instead of a Dark Souls one that I personally want.
A living world as in Communities, social dynamics, PvE and PVP dictating a large part of the economy, actions having consequences whether it be good or bad. When I played UO I didn't need a story to be told to me I was apart of the story. The community told the story and UO was the canvas on which we painted.

I'm not saying we go back to the old days of grind fest, everything is a pain in the dick.. I'm talking about devs focusing on bringing players together. Instead we constantly trade safety/convenience/everyone gets everything for community/reward/social dynamic. MMO's have become watered down versions of other genre's mean while other genre's are taking all the good shit from MMO's. Devs need to focus on what makes MMO's great.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
My problem is the stories from UO were closer to 'Dexter' than King Arthur....

I agree with your points, pretty much. I think it'll take a 'Star Citizen' type approach, with a fiery visionary a la Chris Roberts to actually get a really nextgen sandbox open world dynamic MMO.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My problem is the stories from UO were closer to 'Dexter' than King Arthur....
This is a great observation. Do you think that the art style had as much to do with this than anything?

UO was a dark world, intentionally. Coupled with the PK game mechanics, it doubles down on the "dark" feeling.

It's sort of like music. Take a dark beat + dark lyrics = super dark song. Generally, you see a lighter beat + dark lyrics = homeostasis or darker beat + light lyrics = homeostasis.

UO doubled down on darkness and got a game that felt super dark. You put the same game in a setting like DAoC's Hibernia and I think it would've been a better balance.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Got invited to an ESO beta event this weekend. Looking forward to seeing more than an hour or so of the game like I had during the stresstest.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got the same email, but will be out of town the entire time... good thing I'm bringing the laptop!!

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Got invited to an ESO beta event this weekend. Looking forward to seeing more than an hour or so of the game like I had during the stresstest.
Yea, same here. We get to play up to level 17 as part of any alliance this time, which is AWESOME.

I really liked what I saw of it last time, though I doubt it will oust WoW for me.

Blackwulf

N00b
Yeah, should be a fun weekend. I gotta say, their marketing sucks. This game has shit for buzz. Been a couple weeks since I've even really thought about ESO. That can't be good, right? Hopefully they start ramping up their official channels, showing us they're really gonna be ready in a few months.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yeah, should be a fun weekend. I gotta say, their marketing sucks. This game has shit for buzz. Been a couple weeks since I've even really thought about ESO. That can't be good, right? Hopefully they start ramping up their official channels, showing us they're really gonna be ready in a few months.
was just thinking the same thing actually... but that might be because I've just recently started to get really stoked on Landmark which is right around the corner

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The vibe and atmosphere of Morrowind was so much foreign or alien than it was in either Oblivion or Skyrim. Id love to see something closer to Morrowind.