The Elder Scrolls Online

I agree it's not unusual AT ALL! All the total flop MMO's have had the NDA in effect until launch
smile.png
Like Darkfall

Darkfall devs let someone make a preview article about the game which she called "Welcome to ninja crafting" where she said you could go in a player town that isnt yours and start crafting. Thing is when you enter a player town theres a big alarm siren going off in the form of a system message telling you that a player just entered your town. Beta testers were under NDA so they couldnt correct this without breaking NDA

spronk

FPS noob
wow had no nda during beta which started march 2004, alpha testers were allowed to post there alpha thoughts after march (alpha was ~sep 2003 - march 2004). Open beta started 2-3 weeks before launch, and anyone could get in, but for the 7 months before that they had a few thousand closed beta testers with no NDA. this was also all before youtube, twitch, etc though.

afaik TESO has no ongoing real closed beta? its also kind of strange they have made no announcements on CE editions, headstart, etc.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Like Darkfall

Darkfall devs let someone make a preview article about the game which she called "Welcome to ninja crafting" where she said you could go in a player town that isnt yours and start crafting. Thing is when you enter a player town theres a big alarm siren going off in the form of a system message telling you that a player just entered your town. Beta testers were under NDA so they couldnt correct this without breaking NDA
It wasn't wrong, you could and lots of people did go into cities to craft if the crafting was a shipyard or warforge cause those stations were rare. It just wasn't as easy or as common as she pretended. That was before the vent bots a few years in turned that little yellow warning message into a real alarm.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Two and a half months. Not sure I've ever seen an MMO with so little outside testing this close to release.
They know people are skeptical, but they've worked hard and know there's no way this game will fail because everyone likes Elder Scrolls. See, they're too busy moving devs over to roll out Phase 2 and make this game even more successful: A CCG with rare scratch off loot cards and a space expansion.

Visit to Aetherius occur even less frequently than to Oblivion, for the void is a long expanse and only the stars offer portal for aetherial travel, or the judicious use of magic. The expeditions of the Reman Dynasty and the Sun Birds of Alinor are the most famous attempts in our histories, and it is a cosmic irony that both of them were eventually dissolved for the same reason: the untenable expenditures required to reach magic by magicka. Their only legacy is the Royal Imperial Mananauts of the Elder Council and the great Orrery at Firsthold, whose spheres are made up of genuine celestial mineral gathered by travelers during the Merethic Era.
Altmers in Spaaaaaace!

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Two and a half months. Not sure I've ever seen an MMO with so little outside testing this close to release.
If the NDA was being enforced and working, how would you know one way or the other if there was or wasn't a closed beta with outside testing in progress?

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
If the NDA was being enforced and working, how would you know one way or the other if there was or wasn't a closed beta with outside testing in progress?
Enforced how? Kicking you out of the beta? Is there a clause that you have to subject yourself to memory wiping if you violate the NDA? NDA enforcement only works if you actually fear losing beta access.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Enforced how? Kicking you out of the beta? Is there a clause that you have to subject yourself to memory wiping if you violate the NDA? NDA enforcement only works if you actually fear losing beta access.
Closed beta leaks are pretty rare in my experience

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Blackwulf, have any changes have been made to try to make the combat smoother? The clunkiness and crappy feel of combat were my biggest initial gripes, although like I said I haven't actually played the game in several months.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Blackwulf, have any changes have been made to try to make the combat smoother? The clunkiness and crappy feel of combat were my biggest initial gripes, although like I said I haven't actually played the game in several months.
I am in closed and weekend. There have been no changes to how combat feels. Last weekend play test there were more bugs than before. Closed is better but not by much.

At this stage of the game you won't see any changes to these mechanics to smooth them out. It will have to wait until post launch. As of this point, I would like a parser just to see if the abilities are even working correctly. That's the new concern.

Blackwulf

N00b
I am in closed and weekend. There have been no changes to how combat feels. Last weekend play test there were more bugs than before. Closed is better but not by much.

At this stage of the game you won't see any changes to these mechanics to smooth them out. It will have to wait until post launch. As of this point, I would like a parser just to see if the abilities are even working correctly. That's the new concern.
My experience differs from this and once again makes me wonder just how much shit you pull out of your ass.

Yes, it's smoother than months ago.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit looks pretty good to me /shrugs. I have not been following this game at all so I really dont know the meta play of the game or anything, but based on that last video, shit looks solid. Well except for the fast travel.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haven't tried this yet(last time I tried couldn't even load their website for some reason) but the environments look good and the spells look great but some of the casting animations are really wonky and the first fight, the guy with the 2h mace, just looked horrible swinging it. It was almost like he had gumby arms and was just flailing around.