The Elder Scrolls Online

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Eq2flames used to have a variety of devs posting until the community's mood became vitriol. Then they released all their PM's lol and devs stopped interacting.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Eq2flames used to have a variety of devs posting until the community's mood became vitriol. Then they released all their PM's lol and devs stopped interacting.
Is anyone missing much? Not really. There are a few that are worth their weight but they do not work in this genre and you wouldn't know who they are based on wanting to stay anonymous. They even use VPN's to post so they can freely express their opinions. That's how bad it has gotten. Throughout the history of FoH the two that posted the most (Schilling and McQuaid) were also the most full of shit. Even the press releases now are filled with half truths. So it is better off just having a community that loves games without the intervention to at, the very least, keep it real.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sorry but I don't believe a fucking thing around here. Can you blame me with our history here?
Nah not really. But you have some developers that post here under psuedo and will tell the truth about how they feel and the industry, as long as it doesn't get drowned out by other posters talking about negativity or cite your source to those same people. That's become the usual on SA as sadly, that entire gaming forum is slowly turning into one giant grassroots campaign for the majority of it. I suppose it was only a matter of time. It's nice to know that here however, Draegen holds a more ethical stance. Nothing wrong with telling the truth about dev cycles, products, and being transparant for others when it's too hard for some of the relics.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sorry but I don't believe a fucking thing around here. Can you blame me with our history here?
Fucking Trannies and perky set whores ruin everything

On side note we are MMO whores moving from one to the other spreading our collective ass cheeks for some empty promise of richs. We are left cold naked and ashamed lying on the floor until we do some kegels and head back looking for are next one. Ingoring our anal fissure tears from the last time saying this time it we be different but its the same 5 dudes making these MMOs. Talk about battered womans syndrome we got thst in spades.

The whole interaction in nut shell

Me: Hey how do I get into beta
Them: We need to see Id
Me: /bends over spread ass cheeks
Them: oh K13R come right in sorry swtor didnt work for you.
Me: yeah thanks hey arent you the same dude that did blah and blah that blew ass
Them: no that was someone thst looked like me but we learned a lot from blah snd blah
Me: what the fuck wheres the rest of game
Them: we need to have some secrets for launch for now where going to test the low level and get nice and polished we promise to let see end game stuff later.
Me: /polish turd for 6 months
Them: ok we are launching in 4 weeks
Me: what end game testing
Them: oh we tested it internally its awesome here some vids of random dev with concect art explaining how awesome it is
Me: ok buys box
Smash cut 3 months later this game blows but hey eq next is opening beta

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Me: Hey how do I get into beta
Them: We need to see Id
Me: /bends over spread ass cheeks
Them: oh K13R come right in sorry swtor didnt work for you.
Me: yeah thanks hey arent you the same dude that did blah and blah that blew ass
Them: no that was someone thst looked like me but we learned a lot from blah snd blah
Me: what the fuck wheres the rest of game
Them: we need to have some secrets for launch for now where going to test the low level and get nice and polished we promise to let see end game stuff later.
Me: /polish turd for 6 months
Them: ok we are launching in 4 weeks
Me: what end game testing
Them: oh we tested it internally its awesome here some vids of random dev with concect art explaining how awesome it is
Me: ok buys box
Smash cut 3 months later this game blows but hey eq next is opening beta
such a sad state weve fallen into.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The sad part is more often then not the IP alone sells enough boxes for the release to not be a total failure, and player retention after a month isnt credited to "the game was crap and people only bought the IP" but various other excuses like "changes in the consumer market". I think Rift is the only western MMO that wasnt banking on some kind of IP (WAR, AoC, TOR and now this) or being a sequel.

Blackwulf

N00b
PAX East will have a canned playable demo available at their show, and then they will have a couple weekend beta events. Half the game isn't even finished yet. And is set (must launch) in November.
Rerolled is a good place to be for real information. I am glad this forum does not buy into the "Hey a Dev!" garbage that was going on at FOH. Because 95% of the time you aren't going to get a solid answer anyway.
But you have some developers that post here under psuedo and will tell the truth about how they feel and the industry, as long as it doesn't get drowned out by other posters talking about negativity or cite your source to those same people.
Just for the record, can you confirm that your first quote there is a fact and not an opinion? Like you have a dev sending you PM's saying that half their game isn't done, they have a canned demo, and they have a set launch date in November?

Or are you saying you ARE a dev using a pseudonym? Now, you don't have to cite your source, just tell me, man to man - how much is opinion and how much is from a 100% reliable source. BTW, you wouldn't call some random guy sending you a PM a reliable source, would you? I mean you have more than that, right?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Does it matter if he says he has a reliable source or not? You can come back and quote him when he's wrong, or he can quote himself in a few months if he's right, doesn't affect anything either way regardless. Until they actually show something that looks good and might contradict what Utnayan said though, I see no reason to believe it's wrong. Maybe I'm jaded but I'll take that approach over trusting the devs that what they're saying is actually true or at least that it's not entirely false.

At this point there's like nothing on this game right, other than that crummy video from a few months ago then utter silence?

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why do developers, and you, think land mass matters when as we have seen from GW2, part of the downfall of that is the massive amounts of running back to any action that was deemed fun?
Land mass can be used as a way to mitigate the effect of unbalanced numbers in PvP.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I think land mass matters more in a sandbox type game with little to no instancing. Only have so much space to put content otherwise before folks don't have any spots to go that aren't camped.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Land mass is useless when you can't do anything with it. In GW2, all you do is spend time running from keep to camp to castle to tower putting out fires. The terrain never changes, and it's just a playground that you run around in. This 3 sided war thing TESO is describing just sounds like a bigger version of Wintergrasp or Ilum, but limited due to the engine and 200 people on screen.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
In GW2, all you do is spend time running from keep to camp to castle to tower putting out fires. The terrain never changes, and it's just a playground that you run around in.
There has to be some sort of limiting factor. When you killed a group in Dark age or GW2, you could rely on them being dead. In Wow you could go from killing a group of 10 dudes to killing the same 10 dudes 3 times over again, all in one sitting due to respawns(talking Vanilla, when world pvp existed). That doesn't work in real PvP games.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Real PvP games? I can draw more parallels between WoW's battlegrounds and Quake than EVE or DAoC. Which one is real? Which model has more participants? That's a weak argument to enter into.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There has to be some sort of limiting factor. When you killed a group in Dark age or GW2, you could rely on them being dead. In Wow you could go from killing a group of 10 dudes to killing the same 10 dudes 3 times over again, all in one sitting due to respawns(talking Vanilla, when world pvp existed). That doesn't work in real PvP games.
Like what? You die in a ganking in WvW that you just spent 20 minutes in queue to get into, and now you have to wait 20 minutes before you play again? Yeah sign me up for that game.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sigh. Take the entire game of DAoC using the start areas and PvE areas as safe sectors for individual sides. Add a ton of land mass. Take the open realms and multiply the space by 100-1000. Enhance keeps/towers with better defense systems based around gold spent on those structures. Add mining nodes through out the competitive regions that pop randomly based on what sectors they are in. These nodes would be used for weapon/armor/structure crafting since players could loot corpses. Add in guild recognition like flags with player recognition like achievment boards. The graphic engine could remain the same, since I am more concerned with how the game runs and what the game offers in play value.

That is a very basic skeleton of what I would love to see. It can be done damnit, if somebody with money would just try it. There is so much potential to be had with a sandbox game of that caliber. I loved the concept of EvE but just did not like the "Space Ship" world of it.

In short, imagine Ultima Online going out on a date with Dark Ages of Camelot and the one thing they had in common was how much they both enjoyed the game EvE.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That was some fun stuff right there!
Hey would you look at that, 200 players on screen at once and it isn't a slide show. Done 12 years ago when the genre was emerging and barely anyone had computers to run these games.

I am glad they can do that again... 12 years later, with 5 year old computers. And then spin that as a feature.
rolleyes.png

Blackwulf, to answer your question, man to man, I can assure you, man to man, that you should not purchase this game until it is on discount and they actually fix/implement everything they want to about 8 months after the game launches. With the added benefit it will also be free to play by then without a sub fee. I would say you could at least get a feel for the demo level at PAX next weekend, but they are banning any video cameras or still photos taken of TESO and only letting people write about their experience.

(Obviously a couple videos may leak, but they will be shut down rather rapidly)

rolleyes.png