The Elder Scrolls Online

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
Real PvP games? I can draw more parallels between WoW's battlegrounds and Quake than EVE or DAoC. Which one is real? Which model has more participants? That's a weak argument to enter into.
Real was a poor choice of words. World(mostly random) PvP is specifically what these RvR games are striving to achieve.

Like what? You die in a ganking in WvW that you just spent 20 minutes in queue to get into, and now you have to wait 20 minutes before you play again? Yeah sign me up for that game.
That's an extreme example. GW2's method of dealing with unbalanced numbers was to cap the number of players along with having a hilariously large amount of land mass to cover. Might have been a mistake to have so much to contest?

Like What? I don't know. BGs worked in WoW because of the instant gratification and (sometimes)competitive play. Frontiers worked because of the randomness of encounters, persistance of a world, and some(sorry, if you were the dude standing on top of those 100 dudes, you deserved exactly what you got) anti-zerg mechanics. A happy medium between all that sounds like the 'what' you're looking for.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
That's an extreme example. GW2's method of dealing with unbalanced numbers was to cap the number of players along with having a hilariously large amount of land mass to cover. Might have been a mistake to have so much to contest?
TESO will have just as large (if not larger) a landmass and a hard cap of 2k per instance. What will be different here? Sounds like the same pitfalls. Except you won't have to wait in a queue.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
In short, imagine Ultima Online going out on a date with Dark Ages of Camelot and the one thing they had in common was how much they both enjoyed the game EvE.
I agree in principle but I'd probably like to go much further myself.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
TESO will have just as large (if not larger) a landmass and a hard cap of 2k per instance. What will be different here? Sounds like the same pitfalls. Except you won't have to wait in a queue.
2k per instance actually sounds more than reasonable, though. It's difficult to really put it into perspective without having stepped into it.

I'm right there with you. Playing Dark Age and being able to handle a ton of dudes vs playing something like SWTOR blew my mind. Capping players this far into the MMO genre(to a point) just can't happen anymore.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
2k per instance actually sounds more than reasonable, though. It's difficult to really put it into perspective without having stepped into it.

I'm right there with you. Playing Dark Age and being able to handle a ton of dudes vs playing something like SWTOR blew my mind. Capping players this far into the MMO genre(to a point) just can't happen anymore.
What was the queue cap in RvR across the three servers that joined in Guild Wars 2?

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What was the queue cap in RvR across the three servers that joined in Guild Wars 2?
I don't know but I remember being in the forever que never got in. Which basically cause me to say fuck this. It might have been 2k split 3 ways.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I don't even know why having a lot of people on screen is some amazing feat, the giant zerg shit is never fun. It's the smaller fights around it that make MMO PvP fun.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't even know why having a lot of people on screen is some amazing feat, the giant zerg shit is never fun. It's the smaller fights around it that make MMO PvP fun.
I agree.

Following a zerg to bash into another zerg is just boring to me.
The zerg warfare is needed for the little guy. Not everyone is going to be able to run in your 8 man full of foot long dongs.

edit: And assuming the appropriate anti-zerg mechanics are installed(daoc), those little guys get to have their fun, and they get to be food for the ultra organized.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
They need to find a way to do it without loss of control. Any stun / mez / screwover move needs to last one second tops. Ideally you wouldn't have any at all. Crowd control is only fun for the crowd controllers in pvp.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Draegan_sl said:
I have Press Passes but I'm not sure if I want to drive up to Boston.
I'll take it off your hands if you don't make it, 30 minute drive for me.
wink.png

I can take a shit ton of quality pictures for you, or something of that nature.

wink.png

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Does make you wonder how EVE simply skinned to a fantasy setting would have panned out.

*One handed sword level 3 completes in 2h 23m
*You have received an insurance payment for your wooden wagon mk2

I will say one thing, after the slew of MMO's that have released since everquest, EVE was the only one that made me feel as I did when I was a noob first starting up in west freeport. The fear of the unknown and that sense of accomplishment after a large fight. Sitting on a gate with 10 of your buddies as 20-30 enemy BS warp on top of you and TS suddenly lighting up.

"Inc 20 heavy knights 10 light melee and 5 casters!"