The Elder Scrolls Online

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
The problem with all the dopey reviewers is that they were expecting Skyrim but in a world of 3000 people. That's impossible to make right now. They were expecting a Skyrim that was an MMO instead of an MMO that was based on Skyrim. There's a difference.

That doesn't speak to the quality of the game in a negative or positive way for me, but I think too many people are going into the game with the wrong expectations. Which is mostly due to the nature of the IP than anything else.

It's a shame all the reviewers are a little naive.
The problem is, Skyrim mmo was made already.

It's called Darkfall, and it's better at PvP/RvR than this probably will ever be... without breaking any lore canons.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Bah its not that bad. Ive seen worse. Im only like 30 min in so haven't seen much, but from what I saw all this negative shit is way overblown. Will give it some more time tonight.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree its not horrible like some ppl think, well at least what i've seen up to level 9. Besides the super long ass load times w/ constant loading.

I was thinking this was going to be like FFXIV levels of bad when I tried that in beta but its no where near that bad.

I can see the lock on though removing a lot of the fun from pvp. Will have to try the pvp some time this weekend.

I was trying to make a cleric type playstyle(1h/shield, heavy armor and heals), I can get 2/3 of it with templar + 1h/shield(even if I never use the 1h skills, though maybe the bash later) but can't do heavy armor since its all tank bonuses and light armor has all the + mana, mana regen and - mana cost for skills. Almost tempted to just go full caster and use the restoration staff.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
If you have a job where you can't take a day whenever you want, you'd rather want to wonder about your career choices than others'.
He can't take a day off; he lives in Detroit.

He does that, then the next day he goes to work and there's a line outside his office around the block.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Bah its not that bad. Ive seen worse. Im only like 30 min in so haven't seen much, but from what I saw all this negative shit is way overblown. Will give it some more time tonight.
I think that's what most of the writers said; it's not horrible it's just.. meh, and that's a problem.
Any game that's going to be good in the long run is going to make you want to not stop playing it in alpha/beta, kind of like how the people who are talking about WildStar and Landmark do now. I don't like WildStar and don't plan on playing it (at least for awhile) but those that are seem to be saying they can't wait to log back in. Landmark has people going nuts in alpha.

We know that most games usually get better over time as they squash bugs and junk, but one thing that usually doesn't improve over time is the 'fun factor'. If a game isn't hooking you in the beginning where you don't want to turn it off, it's never going to and that's bad for mmo's, which are designed to do just that.. keep you playing.

ESO will have its fans no matter what, but when you read comments of those who can actually get in you don't hear anyone saying they can't wait to play it all day.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Check my email looks like I was invited to the stress test went through thier account creation bullshit waiting on my activation email which doesn't look like it coming any time soon, checked the Junk file nothing.. Guess if you as company can't complete a simple task as sending me an activation email I don't need to play your shitty game..I'll pass and save the GB on my HD.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Check my email looks like I was invite to the stress test went through there account creation bullshit waiting on my activation email which doesn't look like it coming checked the Junk file nothing..Guess if you can't complete a simple task as sending me an activation email I don't need to play your shitty game..I'll pass and save the GB on my HD.
Proper spelling and disk management are your main issues in 2014 ?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Here is a different review:http://www.gameinformer.com/games/th...few-hours.aspx

The preview opportunities I've had to check out The Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) over the past year-and-a-half have been largely confined to a single beginner area - Stros M'kai. While visually appealing, the areas and aspects of the game that I explored felt stale and linear to a fault. The combat encounters were bland, as were the abilities I had access to. Today I'm going to talk about a more recent preview opportunity that let me out of the sub-par new player experience and into the actual open world of The Elder Scrolls Online, into the teen levels and the actual game.

Let's get this out of the way. I think the new player area of Stros M'kai does the game a great disservice by presenting a rather drab introductory experience. I was absolutely delighted to find that this experience rapidly changes as characters move into the world and explore areas such as Daggerfall and beyond. The contrast is a stark one; it's almost like two different games, and changed my outlook and expectations for this title significantly. This rapid shift occurs for a number of reasons.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Here is a different review:http://www.gameinformer.com/games/th...few-hours.aspx

The preview opportunities I?ve had to check out The Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) over the past year-and-a-half have been largely confined to a single beginner area ? Stros M?kai. While visually appealing, the areas and aspects of the game that I explored felt stale and linear to a fault. The combat encounters were bland, as were the abilities I had access to. Today I?m going to talk about a more recent preview opportunity that let me out of the sub-par new player experience and into the actual open world of The Elder Scrolls Online, into the teen levels and the actual game.

Let?s get this out of the way. I think the new player area of Stros M?kai does the game a great disservice by presenting a rather drab introductory experience. I was absolutely delighted to find that this experience rapidly changes as characters move into the world and explore areas such as Daggerfall and beyond. The contrast is a stark one; it?s almost like two different games, and changed my outlook and expectations for this title significantly. This rapid shift occurs for a number of reasons.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
my only issue is fucking bandwidth. I got 250 gig bandwidth limit per month. so i can't download this shit right now...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, that's the only weapon they have left to combat Netflix because they are never going to strike down net neutrality rules.

Television profits are why the internet is going to be ruined.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Better get used to it. Every ISP in the US will be on metered bandwidth within the next 3 years.
Or go for a business connection at home. Costs only a few bucks more a month and gets you QoS'd ahead of residential traffic and no caps. Well worth it for me.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Figures the game world get massively better after you get out of that hell hole. I couldnt stomache to even finish that first zone on my first Open Beta invite.

Or go for a business connection at home. Costs only a few bucks more a month and gets you QoS'd ahead of residential traffic and no caps. Well worth it for me.
So.. how much are you paying a month for access? Cause Im paying 20 bucks a month for 10 meg connection with no cap and great service. Perfect for my use. A 250gb cap on a high speed connection though would be used up in a couple of weeks I would guess.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From all this bullshit everyone was spewing here today, I thought this game was like the Shadowbane beta.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
From all this bullshit everyone was spewing here today, I thought this game was like the Shadowbane beta.
Well, to be fair the game has gotten a lot better. Daggerfall is as far as I've made it and every area is progressively better. The starting area isn't that bad, but it is very basic.

I'm digging it, and I hated it before. I came in with pretty low expectations and the game surprized me so far. That said I don't want to assume the whole game will be good *cough Tortage cough*.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Gotta agree. This isn't as bad as I remember a few months back. It's just...bland.