The Elder Scrolls Online

Have to try and protect that subscription reevenue as long as they can, because they know damn well after 2 weeks no one in their right mind is going to make an Alt and powerlevel it. Which has become a great business model for WoW. I am now leveling my Shaman through dungeon running only with a buddy of mine and flying through.

The people behind these decisions are firmly planted in 1998 and completely clueless about their current market.
Think of how much value downlevelling and playing with your friends alts has given GW2. It's a crazy decision. Encouraging alts is like adding free longevity to a game.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Think of how much value downlevelling and playing with your friends alts has given GW2. It's a crazy decision. Encouraging alts is like adding free longevity to a game.
Completely agree. I can see reasons for * some * level range. But I was in Wailing Caverns last night as a level 15 shaman with a level 22-23 warrior, 17 rogue, 15 pally (My buddy) and some healer. Gained 2 levels in one instance run and cleared the thing in 20 minutes. Which was great, because 1) I had to get to bed. 2) I wanted to at least get ONE instance run in after we started leveling to 15 that night.

I can see why anyone wouldn't want a Diablo 3 "Come join me in hell and you can go from 1-60 in 12 minutes", but good lord. You combine this with every other bullshit decision they have made, and it is absolutely perfectly clear their new goal is to salvage investment costs.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Ended up canceling my pre-order from GMG last night. Just too many things about TESO that I don't like or see being a complete and utter train wreck.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I've got 2 RL friends who want to play this thing, but I don't think either were in any betas. From reading the last few pages, this game sounds fucking terrible. Is this just the typical RR overreaction and the game is actually decent, or is it a trainwreck?

So I've got 2 RL friends who want to play this thing, but I don't think either were in any betas. From reading the last few pages, this game sounds fucking terrible. Is this just the typical RR overreaction and the game is actually decent, or is it a trainwreck?
It's not that bad. I am critical because they have made some really dumb decisions and pretty clearly the game is coming out too soon but it's kinda fun and the PvP was great in the beta. If you can stand the typical release crashing and queues stuff you will have a decent time.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Honestly it comes down to how much they enjoy MMO launches. I'm finding myself getting closer to picking this up just for the launch experience. The game itself does have some very well done things in it, but as others have pointed out the designers just seemed to have gone brain dead on a lot of things. You have to also understand that we pretty much hate everything here.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You either like how the game was designed or you don't. Some people here who don't like how the game was designed have been trying as hard as they can to convince people not to buy the game.

Some people here who like how the game was designed are fully aware there are still technical issues that need to be addressed. Whether you believe those technical issues will be addressed in a timely manner or will never be addressed is largely dependent on whether you approve or disapprove of how the game was designed.

esloan_sl

shitlord
I think it is. Sure it has problems:

1. Still no word about adventure zones, which worries me.

2. Megaserver seems to be excellent with showing literally hundreds on screen at once, with little lag or framerate issues, but also may be the culprit with all the bugs with quests we have seen in the last couple of betas. Still a big question whether they have it fixed or not.

3. Questing can be fun depending on whether the quests work or not (see above) or whether you like the story and style. The quests are done a bit differently from WoW, you get fewer quests but they are longer quests and can take you all over the place. I like it just fine, when it works, but some may not.

4. Zenimax has made some stupid decisions. Not showing buffs or de-buffs in the UI or in mods is pretty dumb. No central Auction house may also be a bad decision but I am going to wait to see how that plays out.

5. Animations can be somewhat meh at times as can combat. Combat has improved with each beta but the animations are probably around to stay. Doesn't bother me much but it might others.

Other than that, I love the graphics and look of the world. I love the character graphics, excepting a few of the animations. I love the crafting and the PvP is phenomenal, if you like the Realm vs. Realm style of PvP (if you are a battlegrounds type of guy, you may not like it.). I loved the dungeons and I like the combat for the most part.

I had fun during most of the beta except for the buggy times.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm like a broken record on this:

Don't buy this game if you don't intend on playing with anyone during it. The solo experience is hit or miss for most, for me, it's a miss.

Do buy this game if you intend on playing with friends, or atleast attempt to make some in the game. Cyrodil and some of the group content is sure to fill your entertainment needs. (Assuming you can navigate the megaserver deal to play with your friends)

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
NocentralAuction house may also be a bad decision but I am going to wait to see how that plays out.
Agree with a lot of that, although no 'central' auction house suggests that they have auction houses spread over but aren't connected in any way. They simply have no auction houses of ANY kind in this game, whether centralized or not.

The only reason I correct this is because I've seen quite a few people still under the impression that they actually exist erroneously due to people giving them misinformation and confusing explanations about how these guild stores work.

It's worth mentioning again because while most of the people on this forum probably don't care about AHs in general, it's a safe bet to say that the vast majority of casual mmo players view an auction house as not only the lifeblood of a game, but where people tend to hang out in social hubs.

It's all going to depend on the pricing that crafters are throwing out there for their wares and the availability of those fair crafters to do it when those people want/need it on demand vs what they sell in the NPC shops. If people find that neither are good options and their drops/quest rewards don't sustain them.. yeah, it's gonna be messy later on.

esloan_sl

shitlord
Agree with a lot of that, although no 'central' auction house suggests that they have auction houses spread over but aren't connected in any way. They simply have no auction houses of ANY kind in this game, whether centralized or not.

The only reason I correct this is because I've seen quite a few people still under the impression that they actually exist erroneously due to people giving them misinformation and confusing explanations about how these guild stores work.

It's worth mentioning again because while most of the people on this forum probably don't care about AHs in general, it's a safe bet to say that the vast majority of casual mmo players view an auction house as not only the lifeblood of a game, but where people tend to hang out in social hubs.

It's all going to depend on the pricing that crafters are throwing out there for their wares and the availability of those fair crafters to do it when those people want/need it on demand vs what they sell in the NPC shops. If people find that neither are good options and their drops/quest rewards don't sustain them.. yeah, it's gonna be messy later on.
I worded that poorly. The guild markets are supposed to take the place of the AH. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. I am in a wait and see approach with that. I will probably be more okay with it than some other people. I have played MMOs since DAoC, so I have been in games where there was no AH. Its going to be a much bigger shock for players who started playing MMOs after WoW's release.

On one hand, it may create a larger social environment. On the other hand, it may just create problems. Thus I am wait and see. I won't condemn them for it and I actually applaud the attempt but I am skeptical at the same time.

Vitality

HUSTLE
What would you guys say to a Guild Store browser board in cyrodil? Where in your campaign you could view all available keeps' markets side by side? I feel like this would keep markets competetive on a campaign wide basis while also providing the general player base some kind of guild "pride" or "Visibility".

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I worded that poorly. The guild markets are supposed to take the place of the AH. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. I am in a wait and see approach with that. I will probably be more okay with it than some other people. I have played MMOs since DAoC, so I have been in games where there was no AH. Its going to be a much bigger shock for players who started playing MMOs after WoW's release.

On one hand, it may create a larger social environment. On the other hand, it may just create problems. Thus I am wait and see. I won't condemn them for it and I actually applaud the attempt but I am skeptical at the same time.
Meh, you didn't do it underhandedly, no foul.

It's just that I've seen on quite a few forums this discussion happens, some guy asks about AH, some clown says yeah they have them blah blah blah.

Half the time I think the guys who say ESO has AHs really aren't doing it on purpose; they actuallybelievethey are in there some place because after all, in 2014 what mmodoesn'thave an AH?

I know during the last beta I didn't even look for one because I was busy testing classes and looking around. I didn't even find out there wasn't one until the beta was over.

edit: I don't think AHs are any more of a destructive social environment than games I've played that didn't have one like in FFXIV 1.0. The 'social' aspect was

"Selling X item for Y gil"

"Fucking ripoff. Good luck getting that"

"GTFO with that stuff haha. no 1 will buy your shit"

"Leave him alone. He can sell it for what he wants"

Just imagine that X 1000 because you won't have a place where people can just walk up and get the fair price for mats/gear/weapons right away.

Blackwulf

N00b
FOLLOW-UP: RECENT CHANGES TO API ZOS_PaulSage mod 3:01PM edited 3:01PM in Psijic Developer Discussion As many of you know, there has been a lot of discussion over recent changes to the API. As you are probably aware, we recently publicly clarified our overall UI modding strategy, and our reasons for making changes to the API. To reiterate, our goal was: to keep the playing field level for our competitive environments.

The initial release of our API was intentionally wide open in order to test the boundaries of what could be done - which is exactly what happened. We saw things which necessitated that we change the API. When we made the changes to restrict our API, our goal was to make sure you couldn't see more information about your enemies than we intended. But we also found that certain events could be used to allow add-ons and macro programs, used in conjunction, to do many things which otherwise should require player skill. For example, it was trivial to create an add-on "listen" for a debuff, and be able to remove this debuff automatically - or to create an add-on that allowed group members' adds-ons to report their status through chat allowing party members with the same add-on to automatically cast heals.

In order to keep the playing field as level as we could for competitive PvE and competitive PvP at ship, we removed the ability of the API to access this functionality. We left as much of the API open as we felt we could. If later we feel changes or additional functionality is a good thing without damaging the overall game, some features may be re-enabled. We do not want players writing scripts that play their character for them, and that was the direction ESO UI modding was headed.

Our changes to the API were exclusively about keeping the playing field as level as we could in a competitive environment, not about keeping the game immersive or trying to make sure people could not see numbers. However, it is certainly true we don?t natively add icons to show buffs and display timers. You might ask why?

First, we feel a clean and unobtrusive UI is a key part of The Elder Scrolls Online. We have worked to keep many things off the screen that were not absolutely necessary. As an example, we have broken down buffs and debuffs into a few key effects. If you puncture armor, you can see that overlayed on the health bar of your opponent as a ?cracked? graphic. If you or your opponent is powered up, you will see a bright aura around the health bar. If you are suffering from a DOT, you will see arrows representing a decrease overlayed on your health bar. Further, we have animation, sounds, and particle effects in world to give you further clues as to what is happening. We believe these actually represent your state and that of your opponents much more clearly than icons. But why not have icons?

To put it simply, icons are for another game with different controls and a different purpose. The controls of our game naturally tie mouse movement and looking around the world together in a mechanism reminiscent of previous Elder Scrolls games. We don?t have a free mouse where you can get information about what the icons represent by hovering over them in the heat of battle. Also, showing timers through icons isn?t what we wanted. Part of the skill in ESO is situational awareness and seeing when events are happening in the world and in some cases on the UI. Another reason we don?t show buff/debuff icons is that icons appearing and disappearing on the screen looked bad, especially considering ESO has shorter duration debuffs and buffs that would be constantly appearing and disappearing.

Finally, our UI and game isn?t built just for experts, min-maxers, and number crunchers. Our UI is built to have broad appeal while still providing necessary information to be successful. Could more be done to improve the information? I think so. But every improvement has to be weighed carefully against other upcoming features, improvements, or new content added to the game. We are constantly working to improve ESO ? which will continue as long as people are playing the game ? and we will continue to iterate on the UI and information presented to you.

Lately we?ve been quieter on the boards and in public as we head towards launch ? but know that we are always listening and reading. We very much appreciate constructive feedback. We are looking very forward to seeing you in Tamriel on Sunday.
It's tough always being right. ..

Vitality

HUSTLE
Okay blackwulf, that drawn out "Fk you playerbase, you're idiots, we don't want to give you many choices" is definitely not a +EV for this game.

FWIW those ingame effects that get applied, get overwritten by the most recent application.

Example: Try fucking telling the difference between a simple burn and getting hit with burning oil. GG there goes half your health before you realize you need to purge whatever the fuck messed you up.

Another Example: Having a bleed on you, but then casting a hot, the hot overwrites the bleed animation and the arrows so you have no fucking clue if you're still Dotted or how many dots are on you or any of that shit.

Devs TL;DR: "You guys are plebians, we'll make all the important choices for you, and any important choice you need to make in the future will need to be shrouded in mist to cater to the lowest common denomination."

Source: Patch notes and Letters released by devs.