The Elder Scrolls Online

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
The only good part about this game is the lore and outdoor zone design. Combat/animation is below average. PvP(AvA on Cyrodiil) is slightly above average. All open-world "dungeon" are copy/paste, too small, same shit over and over again. Raids are the same. This totally kill the immersive feeling for me. I wouldn't go back ever again. GW2 is better on every aspect imo if you really want to play an MMO other than WoW at this moment.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Maybe its just me but at this point in my MMO career I have ZERO desire to run around talking to NPCs with "!" over their head and then clicking through numerous dialog options. This is fine for a single player RPG, but for an MMO I have no patience for it anymore.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Your first time ESOing won't be bad. The game will last you, casually, about 200 hours of quality game-play where you can read lore, explore places, delve into your character and jerk off casually to ERP guilds.

Past casually the game is a fuck-fest of bugs (Last I played) and mediocrity.

There are (/were?) bugs in the game last I played that were around since release of the game. Things like joining an instance group SOMETIMES worked. Years after release that shouldn't be a "SOMETIMES" thing.

Some "features" require a guild, like selling your shit at an auction house. "IMMERSION" was their reasoning behind locking this feature behind a guild. You CAN join a "Auction guild" (you can join 5 guilds at a time) of sorts where you basically have access to a "guild merchant" of sorts but that merchant is in a certain place in a certain zone, there isn't a central marketplace.

"Raids" last I played were nothing more than WoW "Challenge Mode" dungeons. Disappointing since I was really looking forward to some cool raids and double disappointing because end-game combat isn't creative, it's mundane. If you compare end-game WoW raiding with End-game ESO raiding...ESO raiding is like "Developers first raid" where the devs are all from second-life and they found out that some artists made a fire effect and then the dev made that fire effect burn people whereas WoW raids are polished as fuck theme-park experiences.

Best way to describe ESO?

Theme Park experience where all the employees hate working there and are really just there for a summer paycheck.

The reason ESO is so successful?

It's one of the FEW fantasy based MMOs that still exists on consoles that isn't from Asia. Oh and ELDER SCROLLS!!!!!!!!11
Being decent on console is a big reason I play this. I wouldn't play it on PC. I imagine once I finish Caldwell's Gold I'll just come back for the yearly expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Seems perfectly fine for a casual game, and you are a fan of the series. After playing EQ2 (I know, lol) for awhile, it looks visually amazing, performance is fine,and plenty of world to explore so far. I can't imagine this would appeal to the hardcore at all. I'll 100% agree the combat is kinda crap, but I've played worse.

I can't stand controllers, any game I play with one feels less responsive than KB+Mouse. Exceptions would be flight/driving/ect of course. Only reason I have a gamepad is GTA, or similar stuff. Personal preference, and 3 decades of PC gaming, not a bat vs shovel argument.

Can you do UI addons with console? I couldn't imagine playing this without a few of those installed, no minimap was the #1 thing that made me get stuff installed ASAP.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seems perfectly fine for a casual game, and you are a fan of the series. After playing EQ2 (I know, lol) for awhile, it looks visually amazing, performance is fine,and plenty of world to explore so far. I can't imagine this would appeal to the hardcore at all. I'll 100% agree the combat is kinda crap, but I've played worse.

I can't stand controllers, any game I play with one feels less responsive than KB+Mouse. Exceptions would be flight/driving/ect of course. Only reason I have a gamepad is GTA, or similar stuff. Personal preference, and 3 decades of PC gaming, not a bat vs shovel argument.

Can you do UI addons with console? I couldn't imagine playing this without a few of those installed, no minimap was the #1 thing that made me get stuff installed ASAP.
No addons on console. I've played most of my single players on console the last 9 years so I'm comfortable with them. I should clarify that the reason I wouldn't play it on PC is that I've done almost everything in the game at least once and I wouldn't want to switch platforms personally, not that I think noone should play it on PC.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok so... against better judgment seeing this is only $14 bucks and I could have all the expansions, I got it on Xbox One X and made a Necro. Story so far is very boring in Elswyer. Is Morrowind and Summerset better or is it just me? Might be the fact I couldn't care less about the cat shit.

Pops

The story is garbage, but I thought Summerset and Morrowind were just as bad.
Their sub used to offer access to everything and the bag. Now you have to buy the current DLC or you are locked out. 60 bucks for another half- assed expac. I can't go back.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The story isnt "riveting" and the game isnt as compelling as I would want - but its tolerable in a state of boredom. I thought Summerset was far more enjoyable than Morrowind. But after the main storyline in Summerset, I started doing other stuff and quickly lost interest in the game. I bought Elsewhere a week ago as well, just in case I do get to that point of boredom again - but I would rather catch up on casual content with WoW, FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, than this (In that order).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
The story isnt "riveting" and the game isnt as compelling as I would want - but its tolerable in a state of boredom. I thought Summerset was far more enjoyable than Morrowind. But after the main storyline in Summerset, I started doing other stuff and quickly lost interest in the game. I bought Elsewhere a week ago as well, just in case I do get to that point of boredom again - but I would rather catch up on casual content with WoW, FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, than this (In that order).
Yeah I spent 28$ CAD in the expacs, and tossed in the month sub to boost the mount speed a bit. Cheap enough for a game I never quite wanted to play due to AAA price and HD space, but was curious to see for myself for years.

I've already done the WoW/FFXIV/GW2/EQ2/ect part of the cycle already past year or 2, I'm bored as fuck as far as MMO's go. I'd almost play VaporQuest, I mean Pantheon, if it came out next week.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm firing this up on PS4 if anyone else wants to take a dive. I am only around level 25 and I play at odd hours. How can anyone you pass up this offer?!

• 1Worf

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I so I hit CP200, primarily from just queuing for dungeons. I don't understand what people see in this game. Clearly there are a shit ton of people playing it (at least that's the feeling since you can be in middle of bumfuck nowhere and see some jack ass running around). My friend is literally jerking off over this thing. Just don't get it. The one term I would use to describe this game is "blah". Everything is just "blah".

• 1Truth!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yep. I should have never bought Elswyer on sale either. I was bored to fucking years. Plus it ran like ass on my Xbox one X. Final fantasy 14 will be the only one from here on out if I ever get the itch. I just cannot get passed that post ARR MSQ that takes forever and would rather just go to the expansion. :(

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yep. I should have never bought Elswyer on sale either. I was bored to fucking years. Plus it ran like ass on my Xbox one X. Final fantasy 14 will be the only one from here on out if I ever get the itch. I just cannot get passed that post ARR MSQ that takes forever and would rather just go to the expansion. :(

Honestly, I only ever got into this game when I was bored to f'n tears with every other game I was interested in. But then, I got to this point where.. I just lost all interest? I do the same thing with Guild Wars 2 occasionally. I'll get really into it, and then all of a sudden.. one day I just stop logging in. Kind of silly I guess, but I just cant ever put my finger on what causes me to ultimately stop playing GW2 and this. Not that they are in the same league in terms of quality, but the fact remains.

As for FFXIV, just pay for the skip. Go to the wiki, read the story (takes all of 5 minutes) to catch yourself up on it, and then just pay for the skip. Slight slippery slope kind of thing, cause Heavensward has its moments of "God, can I just skip this?" and then you pay more... etc.

Xerge

<Donor>
I so I hit CP200, primarily from just queuing for dungeons. I don't understand what people see in this game. Clearly there are a shit ton of people playing it (at least that's the feeling since you can be in middle of bumfuck nowhere and see some jack ass running around). My friend is literally jerking off over this thing. Just don't get it. The one term I would use to describe this game is "blah". Everything is just "blah".

Have you completed vet versions of norm and dlc dungeons? Around that CP I was starting non-dlc vet dungeons. The game has a beefy list of accessible dungeons if you have the paid sub. Any MMO player should hit every dungeon at least once on vet difficulty. It's decent content with some good fam.
Gone to Craglorn and joined a trial group? Your CP puts you around non-dlc normal trials.
CP PVP requires CP obviously, if you're into that. You haven't met the 300/600 CP thresholds for stats yet.
Tried tanking? It's very involving with having an interactive block mechanic.
Formed a group to beat the dungeon challenges yet? No death runs etc. Every DLC dungeon has achievement rewards if you got some tough bois to knock em down. Not for the faint of heart thou.
Did you finish a no death VMA run? Prob. the toughest solo MMO content since mages tower.
There's also the group arena, too. Grab your bois.

Animations and class design aside, the game does have some content to play through. Have to give credit where it's due.

That's about it for endgame unless you want to chase fashion, houses, economy, quest and ERP.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Have you completed vet versions of norm and dlc dungeons? Around that CP I was starting non-dlc vet dungeons.
I think I've done all the veteran-mode non DLC dungeons at this point. Honestly, it's the only thing I "enjoy" about the game. I play a Templar healer which is simply keeping HoTs going and mashing the big heal when things get hairy. It's just not very satisfying. I've played a priest, druid, and monk healer in WoW and it was always been fun and engaging. With ESO I dunno...maybe it's because of the fact there's no cool downs and the spells that I have at my disposal aren't that much different from one another. Also, hard to get "into" my character since the models are so amateurish both in look and animation. It reminds of EQ2, although not quite that poor.

I have no interest in PvP so haven't tried that and probably won't.

I've always noticed this but the video confirms it.
Another thing, people say how amazing the environmental graphics are. Are they really? Something looks off. It's like they don't use any sort of filtering so everything looks unrealistically sharp and pixely, for the lack of a better term.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
I think I've done all the veteran-mode non DLC dungeons at this point. Honestly, it's the only thing I "enjoy" about the game. I play a Templar healer which is simply keeping HoTs going and mashing the big heal when things get hairy. It's just not very satisfying. I've played a priest, druid, and monk healer in WoW and it was always been fun and engaging. With ESO I dunno...maybe it's because of the fact there's no cool downs and the spells that I have at my disposal aren't that much different from one another. Also, hard to get "into" my character since the models are so amateurish both in look and animation. It reminds of EQ2, although not quite that poor.

I have no interest in PvP so haven't tried that and probably won't.

Another thing, people say how amazing the environmental graphics are. Are they really? Something looks off. It's like they don't use any sort of filtering so everything looks unrealistically sharp and pixely, for the lack of a better term.

WoW does one thing amazing and that is make you feel engaged into the class non stop post level 10 for most classes. Healing is really dry until DLC vet dungeons/trials. Just being honest with you, vet mode non DLC dungeons I can solo. It is not challenging content due to the fact ESO was once tiered like other MMOs until a major patch. On the other side of it, I straight up wouldn't accept you into a depths of malatar pug TBH @ 200CP. Would gladly give sub 400 CP DPS the boot in the PUG too if I was tanking and my healer buddy and I really wanted the DLC daily done.

They've admitted the CP grind is holding the game back and that's why they haven't done much to the system. In the future it is being overhauled. 200 CP is stupid weak.