The Elder Scrolls Online

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Why does an elder scrolls trailer have a night elf in it?

But seriously, trailer was so/so. The stuff with the siege on the massive tower was cool, the rest was boring. I mean yeah these trailers blew everyone's mind when Blizzard first did them, but now every company spends stacks of cash on a generic fantasy fight scene between a bunch of dudes in cool armor, you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Doesn't help that there's very little actual distinction between the factions. In games like WAR, DAoC, WoW etc. each of the factions have very distinctive looks, color schemes, armors, atmospheres, motifs, etc. not really seeing that here.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
After DCOU and SWTOR were a bust I refuse to get hyped by cgi trailers. Save the money and make the game not suck.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Why does an elder scrolls trailer have a night elf in it?
You mean, a Dark Elf, right?

(as in, those blue-skinned elves that started showing off back in Forgotten Realms, conquered Everquest, and infested Morrowind finally)

Azrayne

(as in, those blue-skinned elves that started showing off back in Forgotten Realms, conquered Everquest, and infested Morrowind finally)
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I didn't think the ES elves had purple skin and 6 inch ears
tongue.png

Azrayne

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I didn't think the ES elves had purple skin and 6 inch ears
tongue.png

xzi

Mouthbreather
Where in the fuck did you get purple skin from?

Not that it matters, but I was under the impression that was a Bosmer / Wood Elf, which are in Elder Scrolls.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I gotta agree with the first reaction the trailer received. That trailer was pretty awesome and did its job. Being that it showed its PVE elements and its PVP elements, all the while telling a story about the invasion of Cyrodil and finally how the other three kingdoms hated each other. The walking of the circle at the end showing the Snake Emblem was pretty tight, too. I would say the same thing about not spending money on this trailer, but instead the game. However, they have to get people excited for a generic MMO somehow? Right?

I cant believe you guys are arguing over the looks of an Elf in Morrowwind, though...

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Warhammer Online still has the best trailer ever. Game? Not so much.

I swear to fuck, trailers need their own thread because they have nothing to do with anything except getting people hyped over the piece of shit that's underneath the 24-karat wrapping paper.

And you don't get to keep the wrapping paper.

spronk

FPS noob
little disappointing that the game seems to emphasize that getting to max level is where the real game starts, that has not worked out at all for new MMOs. Just like WAR, SWTOR, AOC, etc I get the feeling a big chunk of the staff has not played many MMOs or very few got to real endgame, so they are doomed to repeat all the exact same mistakes of shitty endgame, wild class imbalance, focusing too heavily on a scripted leveling experience, not truly being prepared for how fast users consume content, etc.

Just like swtor I'm sure all the oblivion fans will think of this game as Skyrim 2-5, and be heavily disappointed and bitter when it turns out to be not as good as even skyrim. Oh well, I'll probably play at launch too but no CE this time around!

The one interesting thing was the PVP talk about keeps and stuff, but then again AOC, WAR, and GW2 all talked a great PVP game but just couldn't quite make it great.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
Warhammer Online still has the best trailer ever. Game? Not so much.

I swear to fuck, trailers need their own thread because they have nothing to do with anything except getting people hyped over the piece of shit that's underneath the 24-karat wrapping paper.

And you don't get to keep the wrapping paper.
That game is still my biggest disappointment, it had so much potential and was released at a time that it could have made it big. Too bad it sucked.

Anyhow, i agree trailers have been perfected. I can't believe how Absolute garbage movies and games can have such fantastic trailers. Fool me once.........

Azrayne

wow you weren't kidding, those animations look terrible. Environments aren't much better, game looks a good 5 - 6 years behind the times.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
wow you weren't kidding, those animations look terrible. Environments aren't much better, game looks a good 5 - 6 years behind the times.
I never understand this. Its a....MMO, i thought by now everyone knew you couldn't have cutting edge graphics in this type of game. Now i understand complaining about animations, many games look horrible in this department, but hey this is an alpha build.
The graphics and the environments look like typical Elderscroll gameplay to me, do you play these games?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The environments look good, character / npc models look good. Combat animations seems a bit weak, to slow or not violent looking, I guess is how I would describe them. The lighting seems a bit off too, many of the outside shots seemed to have a "studio" light quality to them, a lot like EQ2. It'll be a big let down if the combat system is the typical tab-target / stand-in-place whack-a-mole (like Rift), but I guess its too much to ask for to have a game have combat like Tera. ;p

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing I got from that trailer is wow, are they getting good at making rendered cinematics look realistic. I wish some of these guys would make feature length films of these IP's. I'd rather go see that than play the games they advertise.

But I'll play this game. As long as it keeps me occupied for at least a month then it will be worth the price of admission . I won't prejudge it. The gameplay video didn't thrill me or turn me off.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Yeah I have to take back my previous statement, animations and combat effects look very weak to me. Environments and character models look fine to me though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I watched that video lat night, since I don't have access to YouTube at work and what that video seems like to me is a movie with frames missing. Its odd and definitely not smooth like it should be.