The Elder Scrolls Online

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm not saying that the impact will be huge. I am saying that it will still have an impact on the scope of the next ES game. Also as I've enjoyed the ES games so much growing up I feel a certain obligation to support the franchise no matter what. And I think they are partly targeting exactly that, loyal fans. Of course not everyone is going to have that line of thinking. If I was sure the game was going to be an OK success I wouldn't bother supporting it. I know exactly what you are saying but I get this nagging feeling that I should be supporting a brand that has given me so much in a day an age where theres so much shit spewed out. Same thing with Blizzard although diablo rocked me a bit. I'll always buy there products to support the quality they produce. It's probably my own twisted sense of loyalty and pretty irrational but it is what it is.
Buy whatever you want. Just go over to betacake and read some of the comments made by beta testers from the beta boards. There are more then enough people that are so hyped for this, your money won't make a difference even if your theory was right.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Buying a product that sucks from a company to support a different product is utterly insane. Support the product that doesn't suck, and let the other product line die.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Buy whatever you want. Just go over to betacake and read some of the comments made by beta testers from the beta boards. There are more then enough people that are so hyped for this, your money won't make a difference even if your theory was right.
Every single comment on that site it seemed, at least in the TESO section of comments, were posted by game developers. Only game developers and quasi journalists walking on egg shells to not be "too negative" will say shit like, "I think that the graphics were outstanding for an early beta build. The environments were top notch, although I feel some more work can be done on character models". Or, "The fluidity of the animations seems on par with the single player RPG. Some work may be able to tweak the combat stiffness but otherwise fantastic work!"

It fucking sickens me seeing just how shitty grassroots has become in this industry, but within the MMORPG genre itself, it's just invasive everywhere.

So here is the non politically correct "I work for a developer" comment section from me:

1) The vegetation pop in, some graphical texture copy pastes, and overall clunkiness of the game itself, should end the debate that should have never been one in the first place that Hero Engine is behind the game. Not that it should deter anyone by that fact alone. Bioware-Ausin butchered the hell out of it.

2) What a horrible user interface. There just are no words.

3) Did someone really just copy name fonts for player characters from EQ and then Vanguard? Short answer: Yes they did.

4) The combat in early stages is boring as hell. I already knew this though. This video exemplifies this. Basically in later levels you will have a mesh of action spam from DCUO and later, the same ability layout as Guild Wars 2. But holy shit if you do not quit the game within the first 6 levels while being bored to tears, I'll make a tic tac toe MMORPG for $49.99 and you can be my target market.

5) Those are max settings graphically. And sorry, it isn't going to get any better aside from a few PC/NPC texture passes. (Maybe 2 passes at most) Don't expect anything here because that "200 players on screen at once on older machines!" means your eye candy even on higher end rigs is articifially limited.

6) As you can tell, this is about the gist of what they have completed. They are building the plane as they fly it, and wow is it going to get messy. This launch might make Rich Vogel look respectful. With that said, QA is going to take a major hit in the actual content being tested. But hey, at least you will be able to log in and use that character creator.

Even the two mouthbreathers on the SA forums that work for ZO stopped posting in the thread after everyone saw how shitty this game was. Including the one that said, "THIS GAME IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!"

On to the next.

Edit: I think the only successful thing that will come of this? Feeding some homeless people with their food truck.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Realistically speaking, there are a lot of possible options that weren't shown in that graphics tab, and a lot of them would be add on atmospheric or post processing affects that could definitely bump up the eye candy on the game. Graphics over all don't cause any true inspiration for me, but if they can hold true to some of the lore and other elements of game play from the previous single player games, I could give a shit less about graphics. I still puts around on Morrowind from time to time, and that game hasn't held up all that well even with the complete graphics make over mods. Oblivion was a rancid piece of graphical ass, but was still a fun game to play. Skyrim took the cake because it was all that and had great graphics. I am a touch disappointed by the back slide in graphic quality, but some looks like missing/disabled options and/or his crappy fraps capture. You can tell some of it is the capture, when he's moving the text in general chat is almost unreadable, but if he stops moving even for a second it clips back in just fine. So far, I'd lean towards giving it at least a box sell, I love the TES series, and to be honest knew that the MMO wasn't and probably shouldn't be expected to have the same level of detail as Skyrim graphically. My primary concerns at this point are how badly they've butchered iconic portions of the IP for their own bastardized reasons. That video didn't do anything, but put my expectations back where they really should be, which is a wait and see if the game is fun, instead of worrying about if it will run my graphics card so hard I can toast bread off the exhaust port on my pc.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
3) Did someone really just copy name fonts for player characters from EQ and then Vanguard? Short answer: Yes they did.
The font used for all NPC overhead names is exactly the same font from Rift. Assuming I didn't read that wrong, and you are indeed talking about NPC/Player names, EQ used a different font, one called Arial. Vanguard? no idea, I played it for about 3 days and just.. stopped, can't even remember a thing about it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The font used for all NPC overhead names is exactly the same font from Rift. Assuming I didn't read that wrong, and you are indeed talking about NPC/Player names, EQ used a different font, one called Arial. Vanguard? no idea, I played it for about 3 days and just.. stopped, can't even remember a thing about it.
Gotchya. I am old now. They looked identical to me when watching the video.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Edit: I think the only successful thing that will come of this? Feeding some homeless people with their food truck.
That is the thing that makes me not believe this game is even close to being ready. They tweet more about a fucking food truck then actually releasing any information about the game.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And I think they are partly targeting exactly that, loyal fans.
It sounds like the fans are the ones who are most disappointed though. I don't play single player rpg's much, get bored too quickly. Only lasted a couple hours in Oblivion, and still haven't picked up Skyrim. So I don't have much emotional baggage when it comes to the Elder Scrolls franchise. As an outsider looking at that video I thought the graphics were fine. Nothing stellar but it wont' stop me from buying the game. And I liked the spare ui, just hate cluttered screens.

But other than that the video didn't say much to me. It's pretty standard mmo fare. A standard fantasy setting, standard questing and most likely standard combat. More of the same.

Probably buy it anyways and spend a few weeks exploring the world because that is a big part of mmo's for me. But unless there is something really cool and different about the game, I'll bail once I've seen most of the zones.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That is the thing that makes me not believe this game is even close to being ready. They tweet more about a fucking food truck then actually releasing any information about the game.
Yeah this is what these people do. Don't show anything worth while because there is nothing to show, continue to shut down any attempts to actually show anything, and go into pure damage control mode before the thing even hits a reasonable aside of beta testing. Have to protect those box sales.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
I'll be honest... I wasn't that impressed. I know most starting zones aren't very exciting, but at least GW2 and Neverwinter start you off with some event. The high quality trailer, followed by remaining hush hush on further details... it's starting to smell a lot like swtor. The only benefit of the doubt I can give them is the fact that not all graphics options were displayed. I'm hoping that was just the DirectX 9 flavor of the game or something. I'm not going to write it off just yet, because I'd rather play the game before reviewing a video. The way they handle character progression/gear still intrigues me, and graphics aren't everything. I guess I've moved from cautiously optimistic to just cautious.

Blackwulf

N00b
I'll be honest... I wasn't that impressed. I know most starting zones aren't very exciting, but at least GW2 and Neverwinter start you off with some event. The high quality trailer, followed by remaining hush hush on further details... it's starting to smell a lot like swtor. The only benefit of the doubt I can give them is the fact that not all graphics options were displayed. I'm hoping that was just the DirectX 9 flavor of the game or something. I'm not going to write it off just yet, because I'd rather play the game before reviewing a video. The way they handle character progression/gear still intrigues me, and graphics aren't everything. I guess I've moved from cautiously optimistic to just cautious.
I'm with you, Bacon. I wasn't real pleased with what I saw, but I figure there are a lot of things to consider: We don't know what is turned on graphically - just because it says 'ultra' doesn't mean all the bells and whistles are enabled. We DID see some phone vids of play sessions at PAX and they looked a lot sharper than this footage. So.. whatever. More importantly, I have to remember that the reasons I'm interested in this game don't have a lot to do with shiny graphics and noob zones. I'm interested in the depth of character development and world exploration. I'm interested in the RVR aspect (yeah, I am proud to admit that I still consider DAOC the pinnacle of MMOs.) So, I have to wait and see how those things play out. Am I a little less excited after seeing this clown's vid? Yeah. Am I still looking forward to this game? Yeah. I mean, dude, I currently play DDO - clearly cutting edge graphics aren't my priority.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Put not your hopes in graphical settings nor place faith in magic release day patches. TESO is a beta in pre-alpha condition.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It sounds like the fans are the ones who are most disappointed though. I don't play single player rpg's much, get bored too quickly. Only lasted a couple hours in Oblivion, and still haven't picked up Skyrim. So I don't have much emotional baggage when it comes to the Elder Scrolls franchise. As an outsider looking at that video I thought the graphics were fine. Nothing stellar but it wont' stop me from buying the game. And I liked the spare ui, just hate cluttered screens.

But other than that the video didn't say much to me. It's pretty standard mmo fare. A standard fantasy setting, standard questing and most likely standard combat. More of the same.

Probably buy it anyways and spend a few weeks exploring the world because that is a big part of mmo's for me. But unless there is something really cool and different about the game, I'll bail once I've seen most of the zones.
see, this is my biggest problem right here. if it were a random IP from some random company, standard might be okay. but this is TES. this was supposed to be eye popping, jizz inducing awesome, not just status quo.

Phred_sl

shitlord
A fine counterpoint to the "We want Guk/Sebilis/etc." crowd is to mention Legacy of Ykesha. It was an expansion ofexactlywhat they wanted (middle of nowhere with no fast travel so going there was 'significant', everything was uninstanced, rare spawns in camps with rare loot*, etc) and everyonehatedit.
I don't know which LDoN you played but most of the raiding players on my server ran those Dungeons continuously for months. The mini raids were a bit retarded but the single group content was popular with both Raiders and casuals from what I saw.

Oops. LDoN != LoY. Never mind Holy crap I didnt realize I was that far behind in the thread. sorry for the necro.

DMK_sl

shitlord
The problem has nothing to do with the graphics. Simply tell me ONE thing TESO is doing better then ANY mmo released years before it? Yeah nothing. It's milking a brand plane and simple.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
The problem has nothing to do with the graphics. Simply tell me ONE thing TESO is doing better then ANY mmo released years before it? Yeah nothing. It's milking a brand plane and simple.
Classless character system
Character skill based progression
FFA PvP
Open PvP enabled dungeons

edit:I may be confused between the way they *should* have done it and the way they've really done it.

DMK_sl

shitlord
All been done before. There has been no evidence to suggest these features have been done well. In saying that 'done well' is a matter of opinion. I still believe that TESO offers nothing but the lure of the ES world.

Loco_sl

shitlord
The game looked ok to me from a graphical standpoint. I have been playing EQ for the past 6 months though, so maybe my standards for graphics are a bit low.

As far as gameplay... it didn't look like anything revolutionary, just bland in a different wrapper.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Buying a product that sucks from a company to support a different product is utterly insane. Support the product that doesn't suck, and let the other product line die.
This sums it up nicely.

DMK, assuming enough others act like you, the next Elder Scrolls single player game will take lessons from a supposedly wild success of TESO and screw it up with factions and battleground instances for your campaign character and shit, because you bought it out of misguided brand loyalty? Thanks in advance for screwing up my TES6, dude.