The Elder Scrolls Online

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have you played Cyrodiil since the siege update? There's destructible bridges and milgates now. PVP was also recently retuned so proc item sets are no longer allowed, so shit like this can't happen anymore. The pvp is more skilled based than what it was before.

Brother I quit ESO three months after it came out :D I'll probably never go back, I know the game has gotten better since release but the high-level design is antithetical to everything I wanted out of an elder scrolls MMO.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have you played Cyrodiil since the siege update? There's destructible bridges and milgates now. PVP was also recently retuned so proc item sets are no longer allowed, so shit like this can't happen anymore. The pvp is more skilled based than what it was before.

Love how the music is setting that player up to be some kind of "God" in pvp when that combo is basically all he f'n does. I never pvp'd in ESO but if I saw shit like that, I would have noped out anyways.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
Love how the music is setting that player up to be some kind of "God" in pvp when that combo is basically all he f'n does. I never pvp'd in ESO but if I saw shit like that, I would have noped out anyways.
PVP was getting bad -- New proc sets were just two shotting people with no counter. So they've been experimenting with shit -- sets you can wear in pvp zones have been reduced to stat gains only. I like it a lot.

Gestahl

Trakanon Raider
Thinking of starting this game, can't commit to grouping so need a good solo class. Any tips?

• 2Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Thinking of starting this game, can't commit to grouping so need a good solo class. Any tips?
Templar, Warden, or Necromancer have great solo toolkits. It's also a good time to start because of the companion feature. You always have a friendo around now and technically aren't soloing anymore

Xerge

<Donor>
I built a templar tank recently with the tormentor set, so now my explosive charge ability charges and aoe taunts. Feels like a WoW paladin

• 1Worf

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I built a templar tank recently with the tormentor set, so now my explosive charge ability charges and aoe taunts. Feels like a WoW paladin
Templar and Sorc are my two favorite tanks. It's so damn fun to tank on Templar. Templar is just amazing.

• 2Like

Coka

Golden Squire
Recently come back to this game and realised how awesome my Magicka DPS Breton Templar is.

Want to try tanking on him though. Alcast really have the best guide for it?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Recently come back to this game and realised how awesome my Magicka DPS Breton Templar is.

Alcast should have guides for everything, but there's also another good website. Keep in mind that a lot of these tank guides will recommend very party/raid friendly gear setups, with armor that buffs your team. That's kind of what is expected of you as a tank. but it can also be super fun to do a selfish build and be almost invincible. I have a build that uses Leeching and brahmans curse or whatever that makes it so I can afk tank like 50 mobs and it's hilarious. It's really strong in clueless pugs cos I just can't die.

So you don't HAVE to get the armor that buffs your allies, but it is what is expected in high levels. Nobody will care in random dungeons and most vet dungeons tho. google "templar pve tank selfish build or invincible build" for those types and ideas.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>

Templar tanking is fun as shit. You don't end game with it; you run dungeons with a templar tank.

You want to farm the set Tormentor, this will turn your explosive charge ability unto an aoe-charge-taunt. You can pair it with another easy set like Ebon or even a dps set. You won't want to tank a pug on anything else afterwards.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Couple dumb questions about the PS5 version of this. Already had the base PS4 version from dicking around with it back in the day, got the free PS5 upgrade and installed that instead.

-There's also a $5.99 version that includes Morrowind. I'm guessing this is completely redundant now?
-Blackwood is the latest expansion right? So I'll get all previous ones (including Morrowind) as long as I get it?
-I have to get the "Collection" version of Blackwood to get previous expansions, while getting Blackwood Upgrade will just be that one?

The expansion collection is on sale for $20 (regular $60) on the PS Store until the 8th so I should probably get it. Just wanted to check in with these dumb questions first. Basically, is Blackwood Collection the right thing to get, and does it include Morrowind.

Also it's weird how there are four different versions of the same thing (Blackwood) on the store. And the Blackwood Collection only costs a few dollars more than Blackwood Upgrade. It's weird enough that I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Edit: Oy, there's also a "Blackwood Collection CE" that includes collector's edition stuff for Blackwood. It says "all previous chapters and CE content"...does that mean all CE content for all expansions? And is it worth another $7 for someone who doesn't care about ornaments etc?

Last edited:

Xerge

<Donor>
Couple dumb questions about the PS5 version of this. Already had the base PS4 version from dicking around with it back in the day, got the free PS5 upgrade and installed that instead.

-There's also a $5.99 version that includes Morrowind. I'm guessing this is completely redundant now?
-Blackwood is the latest expansion right? So I'll get all previous ones (including Morrowind) as long as I get it?
-I have to get the "Collection" version of Blackwood to get previous expansions, while getting Blackwood Upgrade will just be that one?

The expansion collection is on sale for $20 (regular $60) on the PS Store until the 8th so I should probably get it. Just wanted to check in with these dumb questions first. Basically, is Blackwood Collection the right thing to get, and does it include Morrowind.

Also it's weird how there are four different versions of the same thing (Blackwood) on the store. And the Blackwood Collection only costs a few dollars more than Blackwood Upgrade. It's weird enough that I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Edit: Oy, there's also a "Blackwood Collection CE" that includes collector's edition stuff for Blackwood. It says "all previous chapters and CE content"...does that mean all CE content for all expansions? And is it worth another $7 for someone who doesn't care about ornaments etc?
Yes when you buy any copy of blackwood you'll end up with morrowind. 'upgrade' is for current users who already own any previous part of the game, so do not buy upgrade if you'e new. CE is up to you really.. i'm a nut for it when it comes to mmos. The 4 versions should be 2 for current users (upgrade, CE upgrade) and 2 for new players (collection pack and CE). From here you either buy DLC packs or sub to the monthly for access, which is what I suggest. Also note there's a diff between expansion and DLC; marrowind was an expac and not a DLC so it's included when you buy game's current expansion, while on the other hand DLCs are never included.

edit: Probably one of the better MMOs to get into atm.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yes when you buy any copy of blackwood you'll end up with morrowind. 'upgrade' is for current users who already own any previous part of the game, so do not buy upgrade if you'e new. CE is up to you really.. i'm a nut for it when it comes to mmos. The 4 versions should be 2 for current users (upgrade, CE upgrade) and 2 for new players (collection pack and CE). From here you either buy DLC packs or sub to the monthly for access, which is what I suggest. Also note there's a diff between expansion and DLC; marrowind was an expac and not a DLC so it's included when you buy game's current expansion, while on the other hand DLCs are never included.

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. LOTRO does the same thing as far as DLC/expansions go where the expansions are separate from like quest packs and other smaller additions, and at least in that game it makes for a confusing setup. I'm sure ESO is at least clearer about what's what, because LOTRO is a pretty user-unfriendly game for new people.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

Just curious but friends looking to kick around on a MMO for the new year and how would you compare Guild Wars 2 vs Elder Scrolls? Not sure who has the better thing for them into the new year but I've heard good things about both recently.

Amazing how many MMO nomads we have with the exodus of WoW and people getting through the story of FF14.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Just curious but friends looking to kick around on a MMO for the new year and how would you compare Guild Wars 2 vs Elder Scrolls? Not sure who has the better thing for them into the new year but I've heard good things about both recently.

Amazing how many MMO nomads we have with the exodus of WoW and people getting through the story of FF14.
GW2 is a lot friendlier to get into and can feel rewarding with their mount game being really good. ESO however is just as easy to get into for mmo vets(find build online, do content, level up) and I believe will be more rewarding towards a solid team interested in end game. ESO lets friends of different pace group up with out issue as well which is nice via the game scaling your player power to roughly bare bones max level, until you hit a certain point. Not saying it's a good idea to bring in a sub max level person into a raid, but i've done it for giggles.

I think it comes down to a learning curve vs something familiar.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I feel like an MMO nomad even though I'm still working on EQ when I can, sporadically. I still need to do the FF14 story run, and I have a ton of unfinished business in LOTRO. Would also like to do some Vanguard and FF11 on emulator servers since I totally missed out on them. All this in addition to ESO which I'd like to get to max level in as well.

What would be a quicker "get to max level and experience the story" run, FF14 or ESO? Prolly do the quicker one first. I've got them both on PS5 now.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
GW2 is a lot friendlier to get into and can feel rewarding with their mount game being really good. ESO however is just as easy to get into for mmo vets(find build online, do content, level up) and I believe will be more rewarding towards a solid team interested in end game. ESO lets friends of different pace group up with out issue as well which is nice via the game scaling your player power to roughly bare bones max level, until you hit a certain point. Not saying it's a good idea to bring in a sub max level person into a raid, but i've done it for giggles.

I think it comes down to a learning curve vs something familiar.

That's extremely helpful. I think that's what initially attracted me to GW2 was what appeared to be the ease of getting into. I just can't see what our core friend group, which is our WoW guild, would really get into the easiest. We have probably two groups, semi-casual but lean towards the raiding type of player, that would probably enjoy the more traditional MMO scene. I just can't remember what turned us off from ESO. We are all Elder Scrolls fans but I do remember it not lasting long. I haven't played GW2 at all and I'd say none of our guild has either but we entertained the idea of come back the next tier of WoW and it was quickly shot down so the officers are back looking again. lol