The Elder Scrolls Online

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly it seems fun but i mean no more fun than say GW2 or any other "MMO" on the market today.

Not that 15 a month is a hell of a lot to spend but it is a spending that doesn't need to happen really. They are going to have a cash shop, already known, and they are going to have a monthly sub requirement.

The game IS fun but I just don't know if I want to emotionally invest in another monthly sub game.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Might be something like that, the zoning time leaving was VERRRRRY long. Any time there's zoning it's pretty horrendous right now.
I thought it was because I had FF running still in the background, but glad to see that wasn't the case. (Well sort of glad, ew.)

I had heard many negative things about the game; I don't really think any of them were warranted unless they've changed a lot. I can't wait to play more of it and I've been spamming log in since the servers went down.
tongue.png

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So far I'll say that it feels like it will be very anti-social which is a huge part of MMOs to me - Barrens chat while soloing really isn't an "MMO" to me and so far the combat even with a named I found (that was outleveling all of us taking it down L5 to L2/3's) relatively unexciting to fight not feeling any different than trash - but obviously not something that can truly be evaluated yet.

Some archers are having the "avoid zone" nonsense, but the timing feels right to give some semblance of a chance to converse in text while dodging them though.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Big plus for me with this game compared to any MMO recently is it will have mods. I hope I get into beta so I can start working on some before launch.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
So far I'll say that it feels like it will be very anti-social which is a huge part of MMOs to me - Barrens chat while soloing really isn't an "MMO" to me and so far the combat even with a named I found (that was outleveling all of us taking it down L5 to L2/3's) relatively unexciting to fight not feeling any different than trash - but obviously not something that can truly be evaluated yet.

Some archers are having the "avoid zone" nonsense, but the timing feels right to give some semblance of a chance to converse in text while dodging them though.
I really like dodging and moving while in combat; my only nitpick currently is that I cannot see the class abilities doing much for an archer. In Skyrim I went stealth archery, so I chose nightblade and picked up a bow. The abilities I've bought so far have been from assassination and siphon; both use MP, and while siphon cast be cast from range, my assassination ability is 5 yds.

Nice for soloing when they get in too close (But again, being able to strafe and double tap for dodge means this does not often happen) but if I'm not soloing, it's sort of a wasted ability.

Do they anticipate more classes, or are the classes essentially there to augment your weapon preference, or vice versa?

can someone please link the site where i can login to download the game? i cannot find the site where i can login with my beta key & i deleted the email after i registered.

Vaclav

Do they anticipate more classes, or are the classes essentially there to augment your weapon preference, or vice versa?
I'd be shocked if there's only 4 classes in final - perhaps only 4 per faction sounds plausible, 4 total doesn't.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I'd be shocked if there's only 4 classes in final - perhaps only 4 per faction sounds plausible, 4 total doesn't.
Yea, I mean, not all of the nightblade abilities are melee - this is the class that gives +dmg from stealth, and there are other abilities that augment you just by increasing certain things, like dmg, or improved stealth etc, but those are passives, and a fair bit of the assassination abilities are melee.

Also interesting that those things are mana based; I expected stamina, and while my first few points went into it (As I rolled around a lot to stay at range) I anticipate adding quite a few to magicka if it stays this way.

Lord Blanco_sl

shitlord
Red Alert:: Numerous people other than blackwulf are enjoying their teso experience.. Shill alert, shill alert. everyone contact Utnayen/Dmk

Vaclav

Red Alert:: Numerous people other than blackwulf are enjoying their teso experience.. Shill alert, shill alert. everyone contact Utnayen/Dmk
To be fair, it could highly depend on your expectations - if I didn't like Skyrim and was expecting something like EQ1 or WoW - I'd be uninstalling already I'm sure. Plus with how it's looking from a social standpoint there's good reason to have doubts about it from a social aspect (which should be important to an MMOer normally).

Right now this is looking like a great SP experience and a questionable MP experience - which if that's the case, we only need to look at SW:tOR to see how that pans out for most people. I personally see more meat to TESO's formula so far (frankly I couldn't stand SW:tOR past level 3 or something... which was maybe 30 min... I'm anxious to login after each reset tonight with TESO) but the core "non-MMO" MMO thing could very potentially plague it.

It is a great SP experience however without a doubt.

And remember that Skyrim is wildly popular with most, but some are very highly polarized against it - so it's to be expected a similar portion will immediately be turned off to TESO since it plays similarly.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Oh shut the fuck up. This game is fun in the same vein that any MMORPG that is fresh is "Fun" for the honeymoon stage. Multiple people are already saying they cannot see themselves paying any sort of subscription. They also say it is a single player game. There also still is no RvR even in the main beta.

Look man, I am sure that I had fun with it for about 4 days too. I had fun playing Pong for 4 days. That doesn't mean it is a good game, nor does it mean it won't flop. Once the novelty wears off (Most beta testers, about 5 hours in from the folks I have spoken with) people will bitch about it. Defiance was fun for 4 hours too. We all saw how that turned out.

What we all suffer from here is MMORPG starvation. And the people in charge (Of all companies) know this and exploit it for box sale revenue.

Big plus for me with this game compared to any MMO recently is it will have mods. I hope I get into beta so I can start working on some before launch.
What?

Vaclav: Good post.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
so my reaction overall is that this is a very good SP game but not only is it very good for MP, it doesn't seem to be very well designed for MP at all. It just really feels like Skyrim with people stealing your kills. is that a bad thing? not really, but it's not going to be what a lot of people are looking for.

so as a singleplayer game, I'd give it a 8, but I'd give it a 6.5 - 7 as a multiplayer game.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So as a single player game, that's all well and good until you have to pay $14.99 to continue in a month (if you want too) where as Black Marsh (Oops) will pretty much be the cats meow.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
How are you guys able to experience the multiple portion of it? As far as I can see, this is much like the early levels of wow, where there is little to no interaction with other people because you are running around/exploring/being sent off on quests.

I haven't encountered a "real" dungeon that might necessitate a group, or even a difficult boss. It's better than what I expected, and the leveling/ability system is actually rather cool, but how are people even able to see any of that stuff and rate it?

Is it just an overall view, or are people actually delving into that kind of thing and seeing it lacks? Otherwise, it feels like more other MMOs at the start; where you are level "fuckoff" and you won't run into anyone with any sort of need for several levels. Hell, I am still in the starting area I think.

Vaclav

Personally I'm just dubious from the nature of the play design and such right now + that one high level (for this area) named with a pack of folks. But until real MP designed dungeons are available it's going to be incredibly hard to evaluate.

But I really can't wrap my head around this style of combat being fun and challenging in a multiplayer setting - either it's going to be faceroll or frustrating with the only things I can envision.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Played for an hour ish. Nothing exciting. Certainly didn't feel worthy of a sub fee. Will hopefully get in a longer beta period where there's actually a decent shot at getting a group and seeing if there's much "mmo" to it. Kinda felt like just a nice looking Skyrim single player game. With people running around.

Meh. Don't know what, if anything, I was expecting really. Just something that would elicit more of a feeling of "omg I must play this."