The Elder Scrolls Online

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
There is nothing wrong with 3 hard coded factions. There are balanced arguments for and against.

There is nothing wrong with PvP as a major end game option.

What is most important is execution. The combat has to be fun. The game must run well. Players must have various play style options, especially at end game.
I personally despise hard-coded factions in most cases. It forces a ton of duplication of content, it's a lazy way to generate conflict, can be a nightmare to balance populations, and unnecessarily (again, totally imo) segregates the player base.

That being said, I agree in principle with your post. If well executed, all of these can work. Given that those routes are so fraught with peril and so at odds with the IP on which the game is based, the chances of the devs pulling that off and the fan base which is a natural constituency of this game accepting those deviations are not great.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I can't wait for them to drop the NDA.
I really want this to be good. I hope the Oracle gave you some good news.

rrr_img_49098.jpg

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I personally despise hard-coded factions in most cases. It forces a ton of duplication of content, it's a lazy way to generate conflict, can be a nightmare to balance populations, and unnecessarily (again, totally imo) segregates the player base.
I agree hard-coded factions was proven to be a bad move (even with three factions; which is way better than two faction MMORPGs but still not a good idea).

Give players the ability to change their faction/alignments by their actions in the game (like EQ?). Don't make it linear also; make it so it's not impossible to befriend more than one faction.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
There is nothing wrong with 3 hard coded factions. There are balanced arguments for and against.

What is most important is execution. The combat has to be fun. The game must run well. Players must have various play style options, especially at end game.
There is *everything* wrong with making PvP the end game AND artificially forcing your population to separate in 3 factions where the one with the most beatiful mangina-friendly character models will win by sheer numbers. Population imbalances is just the first and gargantuescan problem they are going to face.

PvP as end game also alienates about 70% of your potential market (stats about PvE-PvP servers are out there to see, for every game made to this date), I for one won't touch this game with a 10 ft. pole (although pvp is just the icing on the cake).

Execution? So you mean "done right" which is a recurring joke on FoH/Rerolled since the dawn of times. Nobody did it right for everyone, at best you have some devs/software house that did it right for a portion of the playerbase and even there you get a lot of criticism anyway. When you put your faith in people who previously delivered what is pretty much shit on a platter, you can't even expect that (talking about people in charge, not the actual workforce, aka those that gets shit done in the end).

They should just lift the NDA and let players do the talking. I suspect they don't for some very good reasons.

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider

Just delete your account, it's the only way.

"The Elder Scrolls Online announced endgame content heavily features Player versus Player gameplay where three factions will fight over Cyrodiil, the Imperial City, and The Ruby Throne. Since the game is scheduled to launch around Spring 2014, how come we have yet to see any PvP gameplay yet? ? From Bondurant
When the time is right to show PvP, we will do so. Look for it in the near future."

This has to be the hands down best question dodge ever. Why the fuck did they even bother. Siri could tell us more about ESO at this point.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If finding out more info involves that creepy dude in their videos, I almost prefer being kept in the dark...

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Just delete your account, it's the only way.

"The Elder Scrolls Online announced endgame content heavily features Player versus Player gameplay where three factions will fight over Cyrodiil, the Imperial City, and The Ruby Throne. Since the game is scheduled to launch around Spring 2014, how come we have yet to see any PvP gameplay yet? - From Bondurant
When the time is right to show PvP, we will do so. Look for it in the near future."

This has to be the hands down best question dodge ever. Why the fuck did they even bother. Siri could tell us more about ESO at this point.
You made no counter arguments to what I said. I stand y what I wrote.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Execution? So you mean "done right" which is a recurring joke on FoH/Rerolled since the dawn of times. Nobody did it right for everyone, at best you have some devs/software house that did it right for a portion of the playerbase and even there you get a lot of criticism anyway.
Have you guys heard the story of the man, the boy and the donkey?

There was a man, a boy and a donkey traveling down the road.

The boy was riding on the donkey when they came to a town town where the people said, "Wow, I can't believe this young strapping boy is riding the donkey and making the old man walk." So, the boy and the old man switched places.

When they reached the next town, the people their suggested that both the man and the boy both ride the donkey. "The donkey is strong enough to carry both of you," they exclaimed.

However, as they continued to walk, they noticed that they were getting strange looks from the people walking along the road. "Why are you both riding on that poor donkey?" They asked. "It looks so tired! You shouldn't be riding it." So, they decided to both walk and neither of them rode the donkey.

When you try to please everyone, you lose your ass...

DMK_sl

shitlord
How can PvP be good when the most basic combat mechanics are second rate due to it being an MMO not to mention PvP has no significant meaning.

There's a reason why FPS's can have separate maps that don't contribute to a world. Because the combat mechanics of the FPS are the draw for people not the world.

That's where MMO's lost their magic developers forgot that people where drawn to MMO's because it felt like a living world.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unless PVP is good this game is over hyped garbage.
Over hyped?
There's zero hype over this title.

I've yet to see someone excited about TESO and I can't remember reading any kind of anticipation on other MMORPG websites or YouTube channel. I think this underwhelming feeling towards TESO is going to be its strongest point.

Many people have low-expectations; who knows the game might be worth playing after all (but I doubt it).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I agree. They should go all in with the PvP.
Then you'll be happy to know that "All in" for them is defined as two people on the PvP team, Wheeler and another guy, for 4+ years while Sage got all the assets for his level 1-15 area.

Just now is PvP actually being developed, 4-5 months before launch. It's also why no one has seen anything.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
That's where MMO's lost their magic developers forgot that people where drawn to MMO's because it felt like a living world.
I must have missed that living world MMO in my last two decades of playing these things. The only two worlds that came close were AC2 and SWG, both RIP. The rest of the crop were static respawn fests. Even DAOC which had the best PVP really lacked real objectives and real change.

EQ was most fucking certainly not a living world. Great design and ahead of its time, but nothing ever changed on it. EQ's faction system, classes, and races as well as important items are what made it what it was. It was not living in any sense.

I'm still waiting for technology to catch up and enable what we want. The problem is EQ Next is finally pushing the technology changes we want, but doing it in a Little Big Planet way instead of a Dark Souls one that I personally want.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Many people have low-expectations; who knows the game might be worth playing after all (but I doubt it).
To be honest, most players have low expectations about anything concerning the MMO world. When the most exciting thing on the horizon is the next wow xpack, something is damn wrong. Maybe wildstar will be interesting, hopefully so.