The Elder Scrolls Online

Salshun_sl

shitlord
The game is really, really bad.

It makes Rift and swtor look like wow.
I checked out gameplay videos that just looked plain awful. I don't know shit about the UI or how you can modify it, but the one being used was awful. No UI of any kind, like the player was going to take a screenshot. Player pulls up a text menu with all the available spells/abilities, scrolls through it, finds fireball, shoots one off. Must've taken 3-4 seconds to find it. Then went into a boss battle where the boss hid behind a pillar, player did the same from across the room. Both would pop out, shoot at each other, a few points of splash damage, hide, repeat. Must've taken 10+ minutes.

Keep in mind I might not have been viewing the current build, or a proper UI setup, but that's what I saw word for word. And that abilities menu is vomit inducing. If that's going to be in retail I can't see people soloing to any level of success and fuck raiding with it.

I've downloaded the beta, going to give it a try Friday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Blackwulf

N00b
I checked out gameplay videos that just looked plain awful. I don't know shit about the UI or how you can modify it, but the one being used was awful. No UI of any kind, like the player was going to take a screenshot. Player pulls up a text menu with all the available spells/abilities, scrolls through it, finds fireball, shoots one off. Must've taken 3-4 seconds to find it. Then went into a boss battle where the boss hid behind a pillar, player did the same from across the room. Both would pop out, shoot at each other, a few points of splash damage, hide, repeat. Must've taken 10+ minutes.

Keep in mind I might not have been viewing the current build, or a proper UI setup, but that's what I saw word for word. And that abilities menu is vomit inducing. If that's going to be in retail I can't see people soloing to any level of success and fuck raiding with it.

I've downloaded the beta, going to give it a try Friday, but I'm not holding my breath.
Uh.. doesn't even sound like this game.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Uh.. doesn't even sound like this game.
Newp. Legit complaints are being forced down a narrow path to get to endgame cyrodiil. The snap-to targeting removes quite a bit of the pvp skill and really the whole purpose of actiony combat. The on-rails questing is going to make doing more than 1 character through the level zones painful (hey swtor!) and I just really never felt the hook in the game. It has that real point A to point B quest hub feel to it...not quite as bad as Wildstar, but still.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Newp. Legit complaints are being forced down a narrow path to get to endgame cyrodiil. The snap-to targeting removes quite a bit of the pvp skill and really the whole purpose of actiony combat. The on-rails questing is going to make doing more than 1 character through the level zones painful (hey swtor!) and I just really never felt the hook in the game. It has that real point A to point B quest hub feel to it...not quite as bad as Wildstar, but still.
With regards to the questing on rails bit, how many starting areas are available and how diverse are the classes? Those are the 2 big ones that would strike me as being the main parts of spicing up the questing system.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I actually like the most minimal UI possible. That wouldn't be one of my complaints (assuming it's not like Skyrims retard console UI). I haven't played the game yet so I'm going off of vids.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider

Can you link this vid? I can't find decent ones on youtube.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Well setting the whole shitfest thing aside, the worst part is that no extra polish has been added to the game anytime recently.
I'm interested to try this again tomorrow and see if this is the case. I have a buddy who hated the game six months ago, and now just preordered it.

I played a few hours last year and thought it really sucked. I'm going to give it a good, hard look this weekend and see if I've changed my mind.

I actually want to like and play this game. I like the non cartoony look. I like the design. I hope it's more fun than last time. It's somewhat the reverse of Wildstar, in that I hate the graphics, dislike the 'toon feel', and not happy with the design but find that game to actually be fun to play.

I'm curious what the feedback will be after this weekend since a bunch of us will be playing. My expectations are pretty low, so all I need is combat that doesn't completely suck, and halfway decent graphics and I'll be pleased.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm going to be in tomorrow. I'll see what I can see given limited play time. The class system they have is pretty interesting. Let's see if it matters.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Well setting the whole shitfest thing aside, the worst part is that no extra polish has been added to the game anytime recently.
The build the weekend beta testers will play on this weekend is not the same one they played on a couple weeks ago.

I'll go out on a limb and predict regardless of how things go this weekend, the haters are still gonna hate.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
What the fuck is up with the client download? It says it needs 30 gigs. I had like 40 on my gaming drive. It won't download, saying there isn't enough space. So I free up like 18 more gigs, it finally downloads, and is now installed to the drive, and seems to only be taking up about 20 gigs... but wouldn't DL when there was 40 available? Something wrong or did I just not pay enough attention to what was going on?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Games sometimes need room to expand files and install them and sloppy client installation sometimes inflates that number.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Games sometimes need room to expand files and install them and sloppy client installation sometimes inflates that number.
Don't they usually list the inflated number, though? It seemed to need nearly 50 gigs to download and install 20? Never had a game, beta client or otherwise say it needed a certain amount and then that amount not being enough. Well, Vanguard beta client was like this if I recall, so that's something.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
What the fuck is up with the client download? It says it needs 30 gigs. I had like 40 on my gaming drive. It won't download, saying there isn't enough space. So I free up like 18 more gigs, it finally downloads, and is now installed to the drive, and seems to only be taking up about 20 gigs... but wouldn't DL when there was 40 available? Something wrong or did I just not pay enough attention to what was going on?
It's just their shitty patcher. You need 50+ gb available to install the game.

My first time getting it there was an initial 23 gb download (I had 47ish GB free on the ssd), followed by a second ~20gb patch. It didn't tell me until it was almost done the second download that there wasn't enough room, that it was deleting everything, and I had to start all over on a second drive. If it's now telling you that it needs the space before downloading, that's actually an improvement on what it used to be (download first, tell you later).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm ready to give it the ol college try, just to say I have played it myself when giving my opinion.