The Elder Scrolls Online

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I want to know how gimped you would be if you just did PvP and no PvE?
It will take you longer to level up, you couldn't gain veteran ranks, and you would miss out on free skill points from doing the major quest lines.
One more thing. At least in the first few weeks of the games release, you might not be gimped as much in PVP if you ignore PVE.

The only way to unlock the PVP skills in the two PVP skill lines is to gain PVP rank. Therefore, the players who spend most of their time in Cyrodil in the early stages will be the first ones to gain the skills that help with sieges and keep defense. Since everyone will get bolstered to level 45-50 stats, the guilds who acquire those PVP skills first will have an obvious advantage. By the time the second campaign starts up, that advantage won't be as big.

Zantox_sl

shitlord
While I agree with what you are saying, you are wrong in one fact. People intrinsically want to be on the winning side, thats why there is always a winner. eventually, even in a game like you mention, there will be a winning side, because people flock to the winning side. And even though I dont play EvE, I will venture to say that this even happens there.
MMOs need to not have "sides" that people can easily join, but rather guild warfare with guild controlled objectives (ala Shadowbane, as Gecko mentioned). It isn't so easy to join the winning side when it is PRX and they don't just let everyone in the guild.

Take a REALLY old example, Meridian 59 (still around from 1996!). That game has guild halls (about 15 or so), which for a long time were the only places players could keep items (e.g. a bank). Each guild hall can be owned by a guild (and shared with an alliance) and can be captured (through social engineering, sneaking in or a spell that breaks the lock on the door, but alerts all of the guild members of the spell being cast). This gives desirable, limited number of objectives with strategic value that players fight over. Not everyone can join the winning guild (and given the social engineering/infiltration aspect of the game, its actually really hard to join a higher end guild). This means that you have a constantly shifting balance of power as those on the "losing side" team up to take down the bigger guilds, and then those coalitions ultimately fall apart (they always do). Much like EVE, but more regular PVP and much more active game.

The key is really non-static alliances, the inability to easily flock to a winning, and clear, valuable objectives that encourage competition.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I know Tuco is planning on starting a family soon. Just a heads up Tuco: Welcome to CasualLand! Get your poopsock in while you can!

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm fine with that. The next time Utnayan fabricates something that anyone with closed beta access would know is incorrect, I will just award it 1-5 Pinochios to let everyone know and then move on.
Sounds good to me., The next time Rescorla posts, I'll have faith in the fact that everyone here who I have posted with forever knows he is a full of shit shill.

Tuco grats on the family! Little tikes are fun. They also will mow your lawn and shovel your driveway for 5 bucks when they get older while you drink a beer on the couch.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I keep remembering more things.

The ONLY way to increase rank in the Fighter and Mages guild is to kill Daedra and undead for FG and discovering Lorebooks for MG. Closing Dark Anchors for FG may give FG EXP but not certain. That is all PVE content so if you skip PVE, you won't be able to advance in those guilds.

This has an impact in PVP because inevitably you will encounter vampires and werewolves in Cyrodil. At higher ranks of FG you can purchase a passive skill that makes all the FG abilities also work against werewolves. The FG abilities rip undead, Daedra and werewolves to shreds so they will be very nice to have slotted in PVP.

On the flip side, if you want to become a vampire or werewolf, the fastest way to do that is to get to higher levels and get bitten by one in PVE. Players will be able to infect other players but it is on a one week cooldown. I imagine a lot of players will be auctioning off that cooldown.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I keep remembering more things...
Very useful information, as I'm interested in some of the mage guild abilities for my build, so I'll be sure to hunt down lore books.

I assume I'd need to affiliate my character with the mage guild before hunting down books to get mage guild xp yeah?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Very useful information, as I'm interested in some of the mage guild abilities for my build, so I'll be sure to hunt down lore books.

I assume I'd need to affiliate my character with the mage guild before hunting down books to get mage guild xp yeah?
There are quests that lead you to the FG and MG guild halls in the first major city you arrive in.

Lorebooks are spread out all over PVE zones so you pretty much have to explore them fully to find them all. They sparkle and are all colored blue. You will get a notification when you find one. These are not the same as them regular books you find in bookshelves that contain actual game lore and have a chance to grant you a point in a skill.

Vitality

HUSTLE
There are quests that lead you to the FG and MG guild halls in the first major city you arrive in.
Thanks babe. Have you seen some of the interactable lore type items with vague references to in game locations IE: A note on the coast near a pirate ship mentioning "That one spot behind the stump."

I was wondering if you go around looking for a spot behind a stump you might find treasure or something. Seemed kind of interesting, but I didn't have enough time to follow up on it.

Reminds me of an easter egg in GW2 where if you really paid attention to some of the lore you could trigger events in zones that had loot rewards. IE: Praying at burial sites in some of the graveyards spawned a ghost boss that dropped unique loot.

While not totally relevant it was nice for the lore to have tangible rewards.

signati_sl

shitlord
I've thought about applying for PRX, but have also thought about trying to build a guild up to oppose you guys just to see if I can from scratch. I like a challenge.

Tuco is right. Disciplined troops win wars. Listen to your leaders, and you have a chance at victory. A disciplined zerg can beat undisciplined strategists.

I don't know if I agree completely with Rescorla's PvE analysis. The free skill points can be gained in Cyrodiil too (technically not the same free points, but enough to keep up for a while), and levels can go by quickly if you keep up with your quests in PvP. There are boards, and one of them is a bounty board that asks you to kill twenty enemy players (edit: group kills count). This board is in a place that you can teleport back to from any transitus brazier. You can share quests with groupmates, so when you have your one quest from the scout board, you can end up with many more scout targets (possibly all enemy locations, with enough sharing). You'll be going to some of them for sure. The battle board is similar to the scout board. You'll be taking some enemy real estate, so if you have quests for it all then you can't help but complete them.

Rescorla is right about the different NPC guild abilities though. That's necessary PvE. I have a feeling that the main quest will be too. The five man instances, overworld trash, and open dungeons won't be. Two of those are in Cyrodiil anyway, and it would take PRX all of five minutes to clear the open dungeons there. The drops are worth it, as are any enemy players who don't see it coming.

In the very long run, of course those who work PvE will get an advantage. That's only natural, even though nobody can say for sure what that advantage will be. But I don't think that will be anything to worry about for a long time to come, and will be simple to correct when the time arrives.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Also one last question. Are the campaigns locked after a certain amount of people join? Or is it strictly controlled by the queue and it does not matter how many people actually join a campaign?
There are population soft caps for each faction in a campaign. However, Zenimax has said if you are in a guild and your guildmates are presently inside Cyrodil AND the population soft cap has been reached, the game should allow you to enter, even if that leads to more population imbalance.

If you are not in a guild you wouldn't be allowed to enter until the populations evened out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Will be interesting to see how it works, since guilds like PRX will have someone in cyrodiil 24/7, so if that bypasses the queue it'd be hugely punishing to people in smaller guilds who would basically never get in during peak times.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
mkopec_sl said:
World be crazy.

Admit it.

That is a weird question to ask in a Elder Scrolls game.

Even weirder that it is valid and apparently entirely viable.

Maybe they are right in York. They believe Ragnarok is coming tomorrow Feb 22nd.

Will the world end in 100 days? Sounding of ancient trumpet in York warns of Viking apocalypse on 22 February 2014 | Mail Online

If Vikings were here today, the sounding of a distinctive horn in York would have created chaos.

The ancient instrument, blown last night, signalled exactly 100 days until the end of the world, according to Norse mythology.
Legend has it that the Norse God, Heimdallr, would blow the mythical Gjallerhorn to warn of the Viking apocalypse, also known as 'Ragnarok'.
Ragnarok, which translates to ?Doom of the Gods?, is due to be preceded by the winter of winters.

Vikings believed, prior to the apocalypse, three freezing winters would follow each other with no summers in between.

All morality would disappear and fights would break out all over the world, signalling the beginning of the end.
The wolf Skoll would devour the sun, and his brother Hati would eat the moon, causing stars to vanish from the sky and the Earth to be thrown into eternal darkness. Norse mythology experts have calculated that Vikings believed this will take place on February 22, 2014.

On this day, the god Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir and the other ?creator? gods.

There will be huge earthquakes, the sea will rear up and the soil and the sky will be stained with poison.
The sound of the horn is supposed to call the sons of Odin to the battlefield, where Odin will ultimately be killed.
After his death, the Earth was foretold to sink into the sea, paving the way for a new utopian world with endless supplies.
PvP being the main focus in an Elder Scrolls game, easily as big a sign as all the earthquakes and giant snakes.

I'm Norwegian though. Viking represent! To battle for Odin!!!!!!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
What an odd post.
Lol, was reading about it in a different tab (of course this made national news here), and found it fitting as I usually play a Norse in Elder Scrolls games
smile.png

But yeah, it was fairly random. Apologies
smile.png

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Do new posters need to be irrational haters like Utnayan in multiple threads before they are taken seriously here?
No. But it sounds like you are completely single-minded: TESO is all there is, and it's the shiznitz!

It's kinda hard to take you seriously. About every "real gamer" has multiple interests, follow/reminisce about multiple games, and so on. You? TESO. And you wonder why people think you're a paid shill when you seem to have zero time to look at the other games thread?

Side note: at this point, I don't think anyone is going to be swayed by any discussion, here or outside. The people (like me) who decided it was an average MMO with no specific outstanding feature, that was unlikely to draw all my guild out of WoW/retirement, and so did not warrant a sub to play "just to see" aren't going to change, and those who have decided to play it are going to play it. Is there anyone who hasn't made his decision already?

Vitality

HUSTLE
Is there anyone who hasn't made his decision already?
I might be starting to sound enthusiastic about ESO but...

I have been on the fence for quite some time. Largely due to the back and forth between Rosco and Ut-a-nanny.

I'll come to a decision like the one you're describing when I open my wallet, which I haven't done yet.

I can vouch this opinion for atleast 3 other guys who are lurking in this thread that honestly prefer to make an educated (loosest term NA) decision before buying into a product like this.

The back and forth value of this thread is a nice tool to guide me and my group to a very hesitant purchase decision.

The main take-away from this thread is to know where your money is going.

Both Ut and Rosco are zealously battling to drive that point home, just in different lights.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
No. But it sounds like you are completely single-minded: TESO is all there is, and it's the shiznitz!

It's kinda hard to take you seriously. About every "real gamer" has multiple interests, follow/reminisce about multiple games, and so on. You? TESO. And you wonder why people think you're a paid shill when you seem to have zero time to look at the other games thread?

Side note: at this point, I don't think anyone is going to be swayed by any discussion, here or outside. The people (like me) who decided it was an average MMO with no specific outstanding feature, that was unlikely to draw all my guild out of WoW/retirement, and so did not warrant a sub to play "just to see" aren't going to change, and those who have decided to play it are going to play it. Is there anyone who hasn't made his decision already?
I only have the time to play one MMO at a time. Prior to getting an invite into the closed beta, I was trying Neverwinter and before that SWTOR. In case you haven't noticed, those games are not warranting much attention on the board here lately. For the past 6-7 weeks I have played ESO exclusively so that is what I prefer to discuss. If it actually bothers you so much that I am having fun playing ESO that you want to call me a shill then go for it.

BTW I do agree with you on the last part that everyone here has decided one way or the other whether they are going to play ESO or not. If someone has already made the decision to not play ESO because they think its a crappy game, for the life of me I can't figure out why they would continue posting in this thread. Seems like a waste of their time to me.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I might be starting to sound enthusiastic about ESO but...

I have been on the fence for quite some time. Largely due to the back and forth between Rosco and Ut-a-nanny.

I'll come to a decision like the one you're describing when I open my wallet, which I haven't done yet.

I can vouch this opinion for atleast 3 other guys who are lurking in this thread that honestly prefer to make an educated (loosest term NA) decision before buying into a product like this.
If I were you I would wait and see how server stability performs during the next couple of weekend beta tests. That will be the #1 leading indicator on how smoothly the launch will go.

I'm going to preorder because I think the perks are worth it. Having a horse at level 1, especially in Cyrodil, is a nice perk. Being able to play any race is obviously nice as well.