The Elder Scrolls Online

Vitality

HUSTLE
it should be voter based. like once a month. vote for emperor.
Everyone on the server gets a vote. "maybe" slightly weighted for pvp rank.

would force players to interact as a server/faction. campaign, work together etc. in the end, a popularity contest for sure. but then, what makes you popular in a RvR game? active leadership, and public awareness right?
Or they can just straight copy paste Planetside 1's command rank system, Group/Raid leaders get Emperor XP from objective captures. Gain emperor ranks up to rank 5, at which point all the rank 3 and 4 emperors vote for a rank 5 to be apointed the actual Emperor. (or a similar iteration of this system)

Emperors of certain ranks get waypoints - forward spawns - a special chat channel etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
it should be voter based. like once a month. vote for emperor.
Everyone on the server gets a vote. "maybe" slightly weighted for pvp rank.

would force players to interact as a server/faction. campaign, work together etc. in the end, a popularity contest for sure. but then, what makes you popular in a RvR game? active leadership, and public awareness right?
Or they can just straight copy paste Planetside 1's command rank system, Group/Raid leaders get Emperor XP from objective captures. Gain emperor ranks up to rank 5, at which point all the rank 3 and 4 emperors vote for a rank 5 to be apointed the actual Emperor. (or a similar iteration of this system)

Emperors of certain ranks get waypoints - forward spawns - a special chat channel etc.
GW2 did it best. The guild that had the most people capture the keep gets to claim it. If you have the most people who captured the last keep for emperor then you get to be emperor.

Vitality

HUSTLE
GW2 did it best. The guild that had the most people capture the keep gets to claim it. If you have the most people who captured the last keep for emperor then you get to be emperor.
Maybe so, what do you think of some kind of Command XP/abilities/ranks?

How useful would it be for you to be able to set waypoints on your raids map etc?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno. Then you can just have zerg guilds who sit around in the "area" to get credit but make sure they don't die and have the most when its captured.

There's really no way to implement this kind of system that won't somehow be exploited or boil down to playtime.

I'm not even sure emperor is all the important, I mean the passives are nice but its so easy to break the emperor hold and then you just have the ok former passives. And if a Alliance is dominating a map then the #1 guy is going to be emperor for a while, unless you purposely lose keeps and recapture to try and get a new one.

Caliane

yeah, any point based system can be abused.
And actual voting, encourages social interaction. where points. not so much.
also, raw points, again, may just go to the guy who zergs /join me. voting lets a well coordinated leader win over a lesser one, who zergs more.

Zantox_sl

shitlord
yeah, any point based system can be abused.
And actual voting, encourages social interaction. where points. not so much.
also, raw points, again, may just go to the guy who zergs /join me. voting lets a well coordinated leader win over a lesser one, who zergs more.
If the game remains sub based, voting will be reasonably gated so that might work. If they ever end up F2P, it's just another vote rigging scheme in the making (no matter what level or /played they require). The original WoW model (Vanilla) for PVP rank was certainly demanding as hell (time intensive + social interaction + skill required) if you wanted to reach the top couple of ranks. That ultimately turned into multiple people playing the same account to keep a character on 24/7 (happened in my guild when we got more than a couple of Warlords and High Warlords).

You could work around this a few ways, such as taking the highest scoring 4 hour period a player plays in a day (just do a rolling 4 hour score, highest score in the day counts for the day), or if requiring two-factor auth + an IP restriction (log score by IP by player, highest IP score takes the day) or something like that. Personally, I'd vote for the rolling 4 hour score (or 3 hours or 2 hours or whatever) since I am now a dirty casual that doesn't play 8 hours a day.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to name my Dapper Mudcrab "Blackwulf Shillington" he's going to have a monocle.

He only comes out a couple hours out of the day and has a very strict gleuten free diet.

He only dates prominent female mudcrabs, partially because he grew up in the south, I've told him it's a little racist. His response was: "Taste is taste."

He doesnt take much lip, he considers most mudcrab to human interactions to be simple business transactions.

Sometimes I'll wonder if it was worth buying him in the first place.

IRL: I'm wondering if I should name my next cat Blackwulf
Did you work a long time on this? Because my shitpost is just as valuable and was almost no effort.

i.e. Stop.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I cant keep up with the circle jerk about level 1-10 content and the <1% that are going to be emperor. Vitality being Utnayan with a different IP and whatever other irrelevant shit thats been going on for a hundred pages.

Those of you that have been in the alpha, beta and closed beta - is there a site out there that you would recommend that has.. well, useful information? Ive done a couple quick searches but have only came up with feedback about the basics.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I cant keep up with the circle jerk about level 1-10 content and the <1% that are going to be emperor. Vitality being Utnayan with a different IP and whatever other irrelevant shit thats been going on for a hundred pages.

Those of you that have been in the alpha, beta and closed beta - is there a site out there that you would recommend that has.. well, useful information? Ive done a couple quick searches but have only came up with feedback about the basics.
It's super easy to get a weekend beta event.I'd guess they are having one more, so maybe try that route?

Tamriel Foundry so far has the best info.

signati_sl

shitlord
You could work around this a few ways, such as taking the highest scoring 4 hour period a player plays in a day (just do a rolling 4 hour score, highest score in the day counts for the day), or if requiring two-factor auth + an IP restriction (log score by IP by player, highest IP score takes the day) or something like that. Personally, I'd vote for the rolling 4 hour score (or 3 hours or 2 hours or whatever) since I am now a dirty casual that doesn't play 8 hours a day.
You're hitting the simplest solution that would require the least investment of developer time and solve other issues too: reduce the campaign length from that ridiculous 90 days. With this exploit and a 90 day campaign length, the emperor could be some guild-nominated guy who goes through the motions of the exploit for a few hours and never steps foot in Cyrodiil again for the rest of the campaign. Drop the campaign length to 48 hours, and now for the exploit to work people will have to keep doing it every two days. Good luck keeping that up! People would get sick of it and just play the game.

I think if they went with Tuco's observation and just straight up copied GW2, it would be a big hit to their pride. Cyrodiil is already compared to GW2 and DAoC constantly. If anything, they really need more ways to distinguish ESO PvP, mechanics-wise. But that doesn't mean that the GW2 solution isn't the best one. It clearly is.

Voting... I don't know how I feel about that. It would be all fun and games until someone who is really an a-hole to tons of people holds it forever. It's supposed to be a goal that anybody can aspire to, work hard, play well, and achieve. It's not about the passives, nor the buffs. It's about having a hard-to-reach goal to be proud of. So, we come full circle. 48 hour campaigns would produce so many emperors that it wouldn't be so special anymore.

I'm all out against explicit leadership rewards. In a disciplined guild like PRX, it wouldn't be a problem, but for the zergtards out there it would mean chaos that would ultimately hurt the game's longevity. Cyrodiil is the best thing ESO has going for it that we've seen so far. It needs to be a thing that lasts, especially if the man behind the curtain when it comes to adventure zones and the like turns out to be less wizardly than some of us hope.

Remember when you asked me swtor was worth it and i said no? Same shit here but actually worse at high end

Caliane

If the game remains sub based, voting will be reasonably gated so that might work. If they ever end up F2P, it's just another vote rigging scheme in the making (no matter what level or /played they require). The original WoW model (Vanilla) for PVP rank was certainly demanding as hell (time intensive + social interaction + skill required) if you wanted to reach the top couple of ranks. That ultimately turned into multiple people playing the same account to keep a character on 24/7 (happened in my guild when we got more than a couple of Warlords and High Warlords).

yeah. wow's calc was broken.
I was far and away the most active, and stable pvper on my server. I was like top 10 every week for like 6 months. never got above commander or something. Don't remember the exact numbers of what was what.
I refused to do the win trading, or abuse required to rank up higher. so a guy with 20 HK, could come in, win trade for 3 weeks, getting rank 2, rank 2, and rank 1, over 3 weeks and get Grand marshal, then quit pvp again.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Remember when you asked me swtor was worth it and i said no? Same shit here but actually worse at high end
Depends on whether or not, one PvP's. For instance, Ilum in SWTOR was a fucking joke. The massive PvP in ESO should be much better. The engine is miles ahead in terms of performance.

Basically, your comparison sucks. ESO in beta is in a better condition than SWTOR was months after release. I remember I was as far along as raiding in SWTOR end game and they still hadnt figured out how to get high res textures in the game yet...

Blackwulf

N00b
Depends on whether or not, one PvP's. For instance, Ilum in SWTOR was a fucking joke. The massive PvP in ESO should be much better. The engine is miles ahead in terms of performance.

Basically, your comparison sucks. ESO in beta is in a better condition than SWTOR was months after release. I remember I was as far along as raiding in SWTOR end game and they still hadnt figured out how to get high res textures in the game yet...
Lol, yeah. Remember the texture selection that went from low to high, and nothing changed?

Felmega_sl

shitlord
There is an outbreak of ESO derangement syndrome. Game is good. Not spectacular but worth a go if you like large scale PvP.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There is an outbreak of ESO derangement syndrome. Game is good. Not spectacular but worth a go if you like large scale PvP.
This.

Basically, if you have enjoyed any MMORPG that came out after WoW you'll probably enjoy this one too.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I should clarify that I do not think * None of the * resources are going towards the megaserver. Obviously some are. But even the latest beta patch pushed to the last weekend beta was supposed to fix a lot of the server issues, and it didn't. So it's best to take a wait and see approach if anything they are doing is having any effect. There is a big difference in seeing how things play out on a closed beta server and the open wild beta stress tests. The fact remains they should be having a clear open beta right now to adjust the bugs found under stress and fixing them under stress. Not identifying bugs and glitches and server hiccups under stress, loading fixes on the closed beta server, they work, and seeing more code break or it didn't fix it at all under stress load when they push it to the next weekend beta.

1) They need an open beta before launch for 2 weeks minimum. They really should just open the flood gates now if they were smart and were really intent on making a long lasting game, not something to capture box sales.
2) The PvE game is pretty much a clusterfuck. There isn't anything that can be done to it at this point, leave it alone. If people like it, fine. If they don't;
3) Allow everyone to join Cyrodil off the bat.
4) Get rid of the PvE hooks leading into skillsets into PvP and allow all of it to be completed in PvP.
5) I know XP rewards in PvP have been increased, they need to increase more.

This thing goes early access in 3 weeks. And as of right now, they aren't going to fix the necessary complications with megaserver by going back and forth between stressed servers and a closed environment. It just doesn't work like this.