The Elder Scrolls Online

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Putting money down on a unknown product is not stupid. It's just taking a risk. It's up to each person to decide if the risk is worth it or not.

When it offers you little to nothing compared to buying the product once it is reviewed and known, it is actually fairly stupid.

Rather agree with the videos TotalBiscuit has made on Pre-orders and Early access. There is no reason to give that power to the developers, and no gain in it for us as gamers.

And @Blackwulf regarding David, I don't suspect much knowledge from you of how SOE and Ponytail has handled Landmark as none of you ever venture outside of this thread for some reason. Guess not paid for it huh? (I keeed, I keeed)

I was one of the first to comment on how sleazy he looked during the SOE Live event last year. However, the way his team and SOE has handled Landmark has been stellar.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
I submit the hilarious and entertaining exploits thread as evidence. If there is a way too force multiply experience gain per minute . There are most definitely gamers out there sitting on the knowledge gleaned from beta play , who will use it in a redbull , bucket pissing , hot pocket, poopsocking , release day marathon session.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
However, the way his team and SOE has handled Landmark has been stellar.
The problem SOE has with long-time gamers is somewhat like a wasted hetero guy might have if he sucked cock that one time. (for most people that's SWG)

Because they saw him do it once, he's always going to be known as a cocksucker... doesn't matter if he marries the hottest chick on the planet after that, stays married for 85 years and has a Mormon-sized family. Still gonna be a cocksucker. It's irrational and slightly myopic, but that's how people view things.

It's why SOE has such a hard road to walk, although looking at how they've not only handled EQNL with a degree of openness greater than any company to date (even Trion with Rift) but how they've revamped their mmo payment plans, it's clear they are trying a serious effort to fix that. For that alone personally I'm willing to bury the hatchet.

I think EQNL has a good chance to pull off what they've been planning. They have their next two mmos in a row lined up based on nothing but this so they can't really afford to fail on that. There's another mystery mmo that they said SWG players 'will love' (which I think is a mistake to say... you only bring up the past) but the reality is this project is where their eggs are.

How does this compare with ZOS? Since they've announced ESO people have been drinking the Kool Aid since Day 1. They have no measuring stick really so whatever impression they leave with people about this game is going to stick in the mmo world. People will still buy Skyrims 2-10, but this game might not recover if they screw it up bad enough.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
They have no measuring stick really so whatever impression they leave with people about this game is going to stick in the mmo world. People will still buy Skyrims 2-10, but this game might not recover if they screw it up bad enough.
It's funny, how despite being so obviously pulling shit out of his ass, Utnayan was sorta right. This is shaping up to be a huge scar on the ES brand, loladdons, loladventure zones.

I'd ask to be forecasted to win the lottery but it'd probably turn out to be a monkey's paw thing.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You're an ESO fanboy, he's an EQN fanboy. You like a game he hates. That makes you a shill. Now you get to tell him you think xbox is better and the cycle is complete.

Or maybe he's an EQN shill.
For the record, I haven't pre-ordered the game yet. Even though I have been in closed beta for close to 3 months now, the #1 concern I had with the game was stability of the megaserver technology. ZOS has yet to prove it works so that is still a cause of concern for me. To make matters worse, the decision to gut the addon API IMO was a colossally bad decision.

As it stands right now I have to decide if the 5 day head start is worth rolling the dice that the megaserver will be stable. Diablo 3 was on sale for $20 bucks so I have something to spend my time on if I want to go that route.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
When it offers you little to nothing compared to buying the product once it is reviewed and known, it is actually fairly stupid.
Once again, you should put more thoughts in your statements.

There are definitely some advantages playing a MMORPG on day one (or early access) through pre-purchase, like having fun discovering the world without being spoiled left and right, or bragging about reaching top level/clearing content/looting item first, or having a good laught exploiting broken mechanisms and overpowered builds especially in PvP.

I'm actually starting to wonder what's your MMORPG history seeing you taking such a stand. Maybe I should remind you that this is the MMORPG section, not the Other Games section where Kickstarters are rampant and everyone is holding their guns for Steam sales.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
There are definitely some advantages playing a MMORPG on day one (or early access) through pre-purchase, like having fun discovering the world without being spoiled left and right, or bragging about reaching top level/clearing content/looting item first, or having a good laught exploiting broken mechanisms and overpowered builds especially in PvP..
Here's me thinking games were mostly about having fun.

If you don't want spoilers don't use them or look for them.

Playing a game for exploiting or bragging sounds pretty sad to a lot of folk.

My main issues are this :

1. It's so fucked up it's going to damage the industry and investment in the industry.

2. The price point they've set it at is taking the piss.

The ironic thing is the many folk who buy it will be lamenting the state of the industry in the near future, when it's the folk who buy broken shit like this at launch that enable it and keep the industry down.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
For the record, I haven't pre-ordered the game yet. Even though I have been in closed beta for close to 3 months now, the #1 concern I had with the game was stability of the megaserver technology. ZOS has yet to prove it works so that is still a cause of concern for me. To make matters worse, the decision to gut the addon API IMO was a colossally bad decision.

As it stands right now I have to decide if the 5 day head start is worth rolling the dice that the megaserver will be stable. Diablo 3 was on sale for $20 bucks so I have something to spend my time on if I want to go that route.
Loot 2.0 for Diablo 3 made the game for me. I hated it before they did that to the point where I played through the story once and quit. Now I find myself logging in all the time and am even in our EJ spin off guild. I have not bought the expansion for it yet however.

I think you should hold off on your purchase on TESO as well until you see the servers stabilize and they can prove that. You know, as well as others, they said things were fixed twice for each weekend beta with nothing done. Now that isn't to say they didn't identify issues under stress. But it didn't fix anything in the wild. Which is why open beta is so crucial. There are too many good games out there right now, and some older ones with massive improvements at discounts, that there is no reason to roll the dice on anything like this anymore.

I hope we are all reaching a critical breaking point in what we will and won't put up with in this space. It's going to be unfortunate when the powers that be say it isn't because of their faulty products and design mishaps, but rather the free to play market. We are all more than willing to pay a subscription to access a game that deserves it.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
For the record, I haven't pre-ordered the game yet.
rrr_img_63136.jpg

Paid shills receive a free copy, right? No purchase necessary.
tongue.png

Fogia_sl

shitlord
Playing a game for exploiting or bragging sounds pretty sad to a lot of folk.
It's not like 90% (percentage completely pulled out of my ass) of the people on this board have joined or will join a guild in order to brag about their in-game achievements, like beating Triton to the first kill ? Oops, did I just say that aloud ?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah D3 is a huge temptation but it's in line behind TESO and Dark Souls 2. I hope I don't miss the exciting release week fun, but I guess I had enough of that at D3's release where I got to max level in 3 days.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't see how anyone can defend the recent changes and lack of adventure zones at all. Fanboys gonna fanboy I guess. That being said if you ever plan on purchasing it, now is the time to do it. That opening cluster fuck that is a MMO launch is always fun and yes frustrating. I even had fun with the AO launch and that was the mother of all fuck ups. Just get the game enjoy the first month clusterfuck with friends and then just don't resub until it's to where you think the game should be.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
It's not like 90% (percentage completely pulled out of my ass) of the people on this board have joined or will join a guild in order to brag about their in-game achievements, like beating Triton to the first kill ? Oops, did I just say that aloud ?
Massive difference in being the first to do something or being one of the best than bragging about it.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
Massive difference in being the first to do something or being one of the best than bragging about it.
Yeah right. Obviously, the hundreds of guild web pages flooded with kill and loot achievement screenshots over the years are only for the sake of eating server space and bandwidth. Anyway, whatever floats your boat.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't see how anyone can defend the recent changes and lack of adventure zones at all. Fanboys gonna fanboy I guess. That being said if you ever plan on purchasing it, now is the time to do it. That opening cluster fuck that is a MMO launch is always fun and yes frustrating. I even had fun with the AO launch and that was the mother of all fuck ups. Just get the game enjoy the first month clusterfuck with friends and then just don't resub until it's to where you think the game should be.
Who cares about Adventure zones when you have PVP?

moontayle

Golden Squire
Making so many of these types of choices, the removal of aspects of the UI modding, nerfing exp gain into the ground, when it's so close to release is one of those giant red flags people should pay attention to. These are decisions to be made several months before release, presumably before any sort of open beta. When you present your product to the world at large, you need to be on your best footing.

This is why SOE's massive shift in how they've handled Landmark in comparison to the things they have done in the past has people in a positive buzz about the game. They asked people to join them in helping guide the game moving forward, and brought us in before things are even fully functional. They said, "Here we are, warts and all. Tell us what you think." And they've listened to that feedback.

ZMO, on the other hand, has not put their best foot forward. In fact, they're directly hampering gameplay they don't like. Gameplay that has emerged as better (or at least more efficient) than what they want players to experience. If Ut is to be believed, the Beta weekends have done more harm than good, and even in this thread we see a few people who have canceled preorders as a result of what they've experienced. It's almost tragic really and I can't imagine anyone at ZMO is enthusiastic about the upcoming release, because it's clear this game isn't ready for release. I'll keep hammering this point but I think moreso than any other game I have played in beta form, this is one that clearly needs several more months of development time, to include an extended open beta.

It'll sell boxes but whoever said the PC release was to sustain them until the console release hit the nail on the head.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I've got my 25 pack of hotpockets, piss bucket, and anti-chafing cream.

Poopsocking to 50 in ~18 hours, so I can murder babies in Cyrodil with my godlike untracable ghost DoTs.