The Elder Scrolls Online

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'd argue it's equal parts that and the money people behind the MMO pushing for something "safer" and much more friendly to the bottom line.

esloan_sl

shitlord
I'd argue it's equal parts that and the money people behind the MMO pushing for something "safer" and much more friendly to the bottom line.
Well, that works hand in hand. Developers go with something safer because they see everyonesayingthey want something different but then complaining when it is. So, they develop something that is evolutionary instead of revolutionary. Something that takes the standard formula and then adds a couple small things that are new.

Rift did this. The early design for Rift was much different than what was eventually released. Rifts were a much bigger part of the game early but people complained that it was too different so they basically made WoW with a few dynamic events thrown in. It was almost sad to see it happen.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
That is because everyonesaysthey want something new and different but then spend all their time on forums complaining that whatever MMO is not enough like WoW. Seriously, how many times do you see a MMO try to do something different, only to see it changed because people griped that it was not familiar enough. It happens constantly. Even MMOs that are mostly like WoW get flooded with complaints that the few differences they have with the WoW style system are too many.
More development studios need to understand that when you do somethingdifferentit also has to translate tobetter.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Mostly because the genre has plateaued something fierce here in the last half-decade. Small upticks when things seemingly have a new twist. Public quests (and variants), fourth pillar story, action-based gameplay, the Free2Play movement, etc. Things haven't really progressed. TESO has the illusion of doing something new, but it's not really. Skill based leveling first appeared in Asheron's Call. Three-faction PvP was DAoC and more recently GW2. Story-based questing and full voice over is SWTOR. I've said before that the primary draw of the game is that it's The Elder Scrolls... ONLINE! and I stand by that statement. For the most part it's just the latest in a long line of MMOs to come out since WoW's popularity caused it to make headline news. It'll sell well based on the IP, it'll bleed subs quickly because there's only so much to keep people busy (and the RvR will only take you so far), and for the majority of us who buy in early (or down the road when it becomes F2P), it'll get slotted somewhere on our MMO rotation list which usually means a quick two-month jaunt to see what's new about once a year.
Well, owning their own IP is their ace in the hole. A huge plus... no fees. That's the difference between TOR which was a renter, and TESO that is basically paying for the house to be built on land it already owns. At some point, they will own the game outright which TOR could never do.

Also, it sometimes completely skips my mind that people are still paying a sub fee to play Darkfall after this many years. I think ultimately TESO will end up the same exact way based on that. The only way it goes F2P is if the core people bailout, and based on what I've been reading from people defending this game like their lives depend on it, that doesn't seem likely.

As average as I think this game is overall with the only reason to play being to race to Cryo because the PvE is extremely dry and devoid of any humor or interest (the "funniest guy" in the game wears a pot on his head in the tutorial and is forgotten 30 seconds later)... short of ZOS publicly calling them all whiny cocksuckers or something, I don't see anything that could make them leave.

esloan_sl

shitlord
Well, owning their own IP is their ace in the hole. A huge plus... no fees. That's the difference between TOR which was a renter, and TESO that is basically paying for the house to be built on land it already owns. At some point, they will own the game outright which TOR could never do.

Also, it sometimes completely skips my mind that people are still paying a sub fee to play Darkfall after this many years. I think ultimately TESO will end up the same exact way based on that. The only way it goes F2P is if the core people bailout, and based on what I've been reading from people defending this game like their lives depend on it, that doesn't seem likely.

As average as I think this game is overall with the only reason to play being to race to Cryo because the PvE is extremely dry and devoid of any humor or interest (the "funniest guy" in the game wears a pot on his head in the tutorial and is forgotten 30 seconds later)... short of ZOS publicly calling them all whiny cocksuckers or something, I don't see anything that could make them leave.
That is a good point that I had not thought of, Jackdaddio.

Look at the big MMO releases since WoW release. Unlike Warhammer, Age of Conan and Star Wars, ESO owns its IP outright and does not have to pay royalties. But its also not like Rift, Wildstar, Darkfall or Aion because it also has aknownIP with a built in fanbase.

Really, the only MMO I can think of that fits both of those criteria is WoW. I am not saying that ESO is going to be anywhere near as popular as WoW. Hell, WoW is an outlier and will never be matched in the MMO space. But it does have advantages that Conan, WAR, SWToR, Aion and Rift never had. I have never seen a hard estimate on development cost but I have heard it was nowhere near what SWToR was and it doesn't have to pay in IP royalties.

There are a ton of hardcore Elder Scrolls fans that might play this game as long as they continue to put out content. It might have a chance to stay a sub based game just based on that alone.

Edited to add: Everquest 2 would also be a close match and that did go F2P. Then again, it released in the same timeframe as WoW and had to battle directly against that behemoth. In short, who the hell knows?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
That is because everyonesaysthey want something new and different but then spend all their time on forums complaining that whatever MMO is not enough like WoW. Seriously, how many times do you see a MMO try to do something different, only to see it changed because people griped that it was not familiar enough. It happens constantly. Even MMOs that are mostly like WoW get flooded with complaints that the few differences they have with the WoW style system are too many.
You're just making shit up, no one has complained that something isn't enough like WoW, they complain that it plays shittier than WoW.

More development studios need to understand that when you do somethingdifferentit also has to translate tobetter.
moneda gets it

esloan_sl

shitlord
You're just making shit up, no one has complained that something isn't enough like WoW, they complain that it plays shittier than WoW.
Really? I see this all the time. Although, obviously, I have seen the second complaint as well. I see people asking for Arenas exactly like WoWs constantly. Rift initially went with a less quest driven approach and leveling had more to do with the Rifts themselves but people complained that they wanted a quest hub driven game in early Alpha. I have seen calls for quest hubs in GW2. That shit happens constantly. We say we want something different and then we bitch when they do it. Sometimes we bitch before we even give the new shit a fair shake.

Don't get me wrong, I am guilty of it too. I said I wanted a game that got rid of the holy trinity. GW2 did just that and I realized I didn't really want that. I think its human nature to demand the new but look for the comforts of the old.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
When people say that something isn't enough like WoW they are usually referring to game mechanics that are now (or should be) industry standards. And when a game doesn't have them or "something different but better" people will and do complain. And coming from someone on this board, accordion, your statement is absurd.

esloan_sl

shitlord
when you want a game that really focuses on pvp, you dont have much choice.
That and the fact that I think the Greek government has pulled them out of bankruptcy a couple of times. They have few subs but very low development costs and the backing of the government.

When people say that something isn't enough like WoW they are usually referring to game mechanics that are now (or should be) industry standards. And when a game doesn't have them or "something different but better" people will and do complain. And coming from someone on this board, accordion, your statement is absurd.
People want auction houses, raids, quests, gathering skills, crafting skills, cross class dependencies, easy travel, PvP in head to head style and in larger zone filled style etc. What I find funny is that everyone says "I wand X like WoW" and WoW invented none of those game systems.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure why them inventing the systems or not is in any sort relevant, what people say when they ask for something to be like wow is that it should be done as well as wow did it, or better. It's like say, SWTOR's AH. Remember that shit? People didn't ask for an AH like wow because they thought wow invented the AH system, they asked for a FUCKING FUNCTIONAL AH WHERE YOU COULD SEARCH THINGS. Caps are emphasis for the rage of back then, I didn't care too much personally since I was never too big on AH trading and what not, other than FFXIV. If you can make it better than wow? Then even better. But people don't want shit that's worse than a game that's been around for 10years. It shouldn't be that hard to watch what wow did and do the same, especially if you're gonna have that feature to begin with because wow has it.

Yeah maybe EQ, UO, AC, DAoC or AO had it before, but who the fuck cares who had it before, unless they happened to be better than wow, then you might as well copy that, but for the most part, copy wow if you want good systems, for a lot of stuff, if you decide to not copy, it needs to be better. Some shit you wouldn't copy depending on the game you're making, but like, at all, say LFR dungeon or flex raiding or daillies or tokens or non consequential death or flying mounts and so on, but that's a different issue.

It's relevant only to the failure of youngins to know their MMO history. Kids these days... /shakes fist.

Also, auction houses are really hard to do well apparently. Arenet posted something about it at the beginning of GW2 when they were having so much trouble. Arena net's cross server Auction house is a marvel but it still does not allow as much searching as WoW's.

TESO has no auction house. That will be interesting to watch.

It's a design choice in TESO's case. I like the IDEA of making more social interactions and increasing the value of keeps (where you can put a guild store). However, I think many people will miss auction houses.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Oooh , I didn't know ESO had no AH. Going into it a little blind on purpose this time instead of exhausting myself in beta.

I'm not a huge crafter , but do like gathering and selling , will be interesting to see how this works out.

I do expect much , much rage overall though for there being no AH. And I'm guessing that's not something they can just whip up and implement either.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
ESO kind of has an AH. The guild that owns a keep or something in Cryo can have a guild store.
I want to take this moment and ask you what the hell is up with that Rio 2 ad that even after it cancels out, I cannot hit the thread I want to view because of the invisible ad that makes me to the damn Rio ad window again.

That may be more obnoxious than Megaserver.