The Expanse

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Probably Holden, because I don't really like the actor either (although I had the same reaction to his abs). Although to be honest, I didn't really like his character in the books either, so that could be influencing it. He kind of has that narcissistic look to him, so maybe he was a good choice after all.

Nor do I like the actress for Naomi. She fits the overall description given in the books, but she's just not what I pictured. Or very attractive, but that's only secondary, as I always pictured her as this long, willowy figure, not this chick. Still, she didn't really do a lot of acting in this episode so we'll see if she wins me over.

Amos, however, is exactly as I pictured him, and I'm hoping he nails the part. Same with Alex, mostly. The two of them are probably my favorite characters besides Miller, who is of course perfectly portrayed by Jane.

EDIT: Oh yeah, UN lady (Chrisjen), is superbly cast.

Cybsled

Wow, high quality pilot. If the rest of the show can keep this up, Syfy will finally have a good BSG replacement.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Pilot was real awesome, need to watch it a second time on am actual TV with the wife. Pretty sure she'll be in to it but hasn't read the books. Speaking of which, and not to inject any spoiler discussion, I hope they find a way to improve on Holden's character. He really was the least best part of the books. Although admittedly I have not read 4 and 5.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Dec 14th and 15th two night event. Only worry is that this might get completely overshadowed by the Force Awakens later that same week. Maybe the success of the film will bring in more subsequent viewers eager for a sci-fi fix.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Dec 14th and 15th two night event. Only worry is that this might get completely overshadowed by the Force Awakens later that same week. Maybe the success of the film will bring in more subsequent viewers eager for a sci-fi fix.
That's my hope for a Star Wars movie every year, studios realizing they should cash in on scifi like they have on comics

spronk

FPS noob
oh damn I forgot I got tickets to see Star Wars on the 14th. Are they broadcasting two episodes on 14th or 15th or just running the pilot multiple times?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
From someone who has read the series:

Very solid pilot. They got a lot of the small details right that are important to nailing the setting.

I pictured everyone as a little bit older, but nbd. All the main characters are supposed to be in 'second half' careers at this point. Holden should be mid 30's and he looks late 20's. Alex is 40+ even in the first book and he looks early 30's. Amos too. He needs to be bigger, older, uglier.

That said, none of the casting decisions are so bad they ruin the show for me. The set and directing were great.

iannis

Musty Nester
I like the guy in the hat. Haven't read the books, and I think I might just based on this pilot, but you get a fairly "corporate gumshoe who understand who signs his checks and doesn't give much of a fuck" feel from him. His line, "The law? There is no law on Ceres. Theres only cops." pretty much instantly made me like him. Dystopia inbound!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
oh damn I forgot I got tickets to see Star Wars on the 14th. Are they broadcasting two episodes on 14th or 15th or just running the pilot multiple times?
14th is Ep 1 (the one already streamed), 15th is the 2nd episode.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I like the guy in the hat. Haven't read the books, and I think I might just based on this pilot, but you get a fairly "corporate gumshoe who understand who signs his checks and doesn't give much of a fuck" feel from him. His line, "The law? There is no law on Ceres. Theres only cops." pretty much instantly made me like him. Dystopia inbound!
You should. The series is great. I really like scifi but not many scifi books hook me like this one did.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Due to the Flash thread, I just rewatched Sky High, and I looked up a couple of the actors because they seemed familiar. And holy shit, Holden (who I recently said was one of my least favorite characters on this show) was Warren Peace in Sky High. Never in a million years would I have put those two characters together as the same person. Now I guess I'll have to like him a bit more in this due to that.

Although googling Warren Peace quickly leads to some VERY scary teenage girl fan-fiction. Yikes.

rrr_img_118734.jpg

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Pilot was awesome. Wonder if I should read the books.
You should, unless you want to avoid spoilage. The first one is a bit weak, the rest goes up from there. People have noticed that Avasarala (which appears only starting in the second book) is immediately introduced, I presume they're going to pick some stuff that comes from book 2 to strengthen the first season (season 2 is already greenlighted by SyFy).

The series is basically an offshot of a tabletop RPG game that the authors ran for a while based on a (I kid you not) a MMO project. With the rest of the players being all SFWA creative types and whatnot, the backstory of their game was kickass until one of the two said "why not make a book from it". Then they sold the series to Orbit, and got a contract for 9 books total after the first one came out and sold like hotcakes. Book 1-5 are out, 6 is coming out in June (like all the others; they make a book a year). I probably would suggest book 1-4, then wait for June and get 5 & 6 together as book 5 has lots of unresolved stuff that's apparently wrapped in book 6.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I actually stalled out in the middle of the third book and couldn't continue. Or maybe the fourth, I forget now as it was over a year ago. I thought the first book was really good at introducing me to everything, and the second brought in other great characters as mentioned. But eventually I just got bored with the whole thing and couldn't go on. Maybe it was just me, or maybe it really picks up right after the spot I was at, but I'm kind of hoping the series is a huge hit and I can just watch the episodes and get the whole story without having to read any more of it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I watched the pilot, enjoyed it. I think the Thomas Jane playing Miller is good because the dude in Gotham can't film both I bet, he would be perfect imo.

I am about halfway through book 1 right now which is what I am basing that on. Yeah that interrogation scene wasn't in the book so far and I figured it was in a different book or later in the book but takes place around that time and so they are filling us in ahead of time.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that interrogation scene wasn't in the book so far and I figured it was in a different book or later in the book but takes place around that time and so they are filling us in ahead of time.
That scene never happened in the books. It falls into the category of "didn't happen, but following the thread of the books could have happened, so we are putting it in for elucidation."

Would definitely recommend reading the books regardless of watching the shows. The books tackle sci-fi elements in all the right places and at exactly the right depth. The engineering and "big concept" sci-fi issues are explored, but the essence of the story isn't lost in the process. Think more Star Trek TNG and less Peter Watts.