The Expanse

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sterling

El Presidente
The series is even more enjoyable when you watch episodes back-to-back.
Yeah, when I did my rewatch for the latest season I was going to just watch an episode or 2 at a shot and space it out over a couple of weeks. Ended up doing all 3 seasons in less than a week.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Binge-watch all 4 seasons in 4 days for the very first time. So good, all my favorite characters (Miller, Ashford, Ghazi) are all gone tho.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just started watching this, almost done with season 2. RLM should be ashamed as I am for not watching it sooner.

Anyone else feel Miller's obsession with Julie Mao was unearned? Like, I can understand how a detective at the end of his rope can turn to obsessing over a last case to prove he's still got it. He even says as much in one episode in season 1. The progression to that point(obsession/love) was too quick. Which is a shame because it kinda undercut what was otherwise an awesome scene in the Blue Falcon.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Anyone else feel Miller's obsession with Julie Mao was unearned? Like, I can understand how a detective at the end of his rope can turn to obsessing over a last case to prove he's still got it. He even says as much in one episode in season 1. The progression to that point(obsession/love) was too quick. Which is a shame because it kinda undercut what was otherwise an awesome scene in the Blue Falcon.
I agree, that was a little weird. Perhaps it was handled better in the books.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just started watching this, almost done with season 2. RLM should be ashamed as I am for not watching it sooner.

The book handles it better. His obsession is more about trying to do the right thing after coming to the realization that he is an aging loser cop that just slid by and that hasn't recovered from his divorce. He sees this girl a way to redeem himself and his boss and the OPA getting in the way of it turns it into a crusade.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester

Yeah, it was better in the book by far. In the adaptation you're right, it's unearned. But you wouldn't really want to see the montage of self-hate required to earn it. They only barely alluded to it when miller got fired for being competent for once. "Oh, you didn't want anyone to notice... so you put me on the case". That was his internal running monologue.

Miller is one jaded fuck.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

I can't speak to the books as I've never read them, but in the show I inferred that the protomolecule fucked with him. Essentially, it wanted Miller for some reason.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I can't speak to the books as I've never read them, but in the show I inferred that the protomolecule fucked with him. Essentially, it wanted Miller for some reason.

You should read the books.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah you may as well read the books, they just released a few months ago book 8 (the series is supposed to end at 10 books) and are clocking 1 book a year pretty regularly. There are also 4-5 short stories which are pretty cool. The show is only up to book 4 or 5 and I just don't see any way it goes on for more than 2-3 seasons, tops, so no matter what you'll want to read the books to get the full story anyways.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, no guarantee that we get any show beyond the Inaros/Belter arc. If they do, awesome. If not, you can still get a satisfactory finale.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finally finished Cibola Burn last week. Waited a bit until after Season 4 viewing to do the book. Wasn't bad, although definitely different tone. Dived right in Nemesis Games and man, off to the races. Only about 100 pages to go in that one already, can't wait for S5. How are the rest of the books after this?

Cybsled

Pretty decent. Books 5 and 6 encompass the same story arc, then 7 and 8 are a different story arc (which technically starts at the end of 6, so to speak)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Just did season 4. They crushed it. Had to binge all night, couldnt leave the living room. What a breath of fresh air after wasted time on Picard. Well done !!!!!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Just finished this with Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus , I think this was a very solid season. I can see how they're needing to bend some things around from the book sources, but it's still working IMHO. Amos is still in my fictitious "spirit animal" pantheon as "The one I want showing up when I'm stuck at the wrong end of a dark alley".

Favorite quote : "Have you ever met someone you DIDN'T want to save?"
Second favorites : "Does this mean we aren't fuckin?"

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Goatface

Cas Anvar (Alex) is getting metoo'd

1593046906743.png

1593046931573.png

• 5Rustled
  • 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven't seen anything detailing actual assaults, but there is a lot of creepster and explicit asking for X messages.

Either way it don't look good if even a fraction are real.