The Expanse

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
And it does that fine--the show essentially emphasizes the human condition, our lack of knowledge and the inability to communicate efficiently through large systems ends up producing the opposite of desired results even though the inputs were desired. Its a towel of babel effect, and good story telling.

But the belters are just cunts. Where everyone else is at least a tiny bit reflective of their own failings, the Belters constantly assume everyone else is the issue and they are morally righteous. Its the WORST kind of person, far worse than the normal human failings the show dives into within the characters specifically (Belter or not).
Belter Lives Matter.

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The intent is to make you disgusted with everyone, doing the wrong things for petty and selfish reasons which enable terrorists to kill millions of people and assassinate leaders from Earth, Mars, and the Belt. The awfulness of the past gets perpetuated and done all over again, but it's okay as long as you're in the group doing it now is the justification.

If Nancy Gao wasn't a twat to Chrissie they stop it, if Mars isn't asleep at the wheel the tech to attempt it isn't black marketed, and if the belt actually policed itself properly and spaced Marco it never would have happened. Drummer is going to feel guilty as hell for reasons well beyond Ashford.
Earthers and Martians are flawed humans all over the spectrum of characteristics. I may not empathize with them but they are believable and relatable. Belters just seem to be personified victimhood and retribution. Or maybe even veiled plot devices. Miller and Johnson were the most believable Belters and loltheydead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Ashford was god tier despite being a belter.

Belter Lives Matter is the worse of the 3 factions though.

Funny how that works.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
They need to stop killing off the good characters. Good episode but never been so angry at the show like now. That spiky haired bitch just suddenly changed the whole direction of the plot ? How did no one suspect her dumbass before. How did they even know where Johnson was hiding the molecule. And also as annoying as Naomi is her son with his stupid half open mouthed stare is even worse. They’re keeping the wrong people alive.

The whole idea of stealth shielded asteroid warfare is pretty fuckin cool and seems like something that could actually happen though

Cybsled

Good episode...But god damn I fucking hate Belters. They are the fucking worst.

Spoken like a true Innah! Beltalowda!!!

To clarify, 3 hit in the show and 3 hit in the book. They slightly adjusted where they hit along with the prison location so it was realistic for Amos to arrive there.

Show says 3 hit, 3 miss, 3 intercepted by Earth, and the initial one that broke up so 10 total attempted in the show.

Ya, in the book the 2nd meteor hits in the Atlantic, but the show made it looks like it impacted right near Philly/New York City, which makes me wonder how they handle Amos' story post-impact considering where his journey takes him eventually. The asteroids in the books always felt like bigger extinction level event shit, though, considering the aftermath. Like the one that hit Africa, in the episode they only measure it in Kilotons vs. megatons for yield, but in a prior scene, the scientist talking to Chrissie thinks the Venus one was in the megaton range.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya, in the book the 2nd meteor hits in the Atlantic, but the show made it looks like it impacted right near Philly/New York City, which makes me wonder how they handle Amos' story post-impact considering where his journey takes him eventually. The asteroids in the books always felt like bigger extinction level event shit, though, considering the aftermath. Like the one that hit Africa, in the episode they only measure it in Kilotons vs. megatons for yield, but in a prior scene, the scientist talking to Chrissie thinks the Venus one was in the megaton range.
I thought they did a good job of showing the escalation of the strikes and how reality and information travel was unfolding. At first it's a single rogue strike so they're announcing tsunami warnings and how many are without power, but then the 2nd hit and everyone knows it's an attack with the rapid followup of the 3rd. We get to see visually how big the 3rd hit is and realization of who just died, but the scramble to make sure the watchtower order went out before the chaos. Then the POV shift back to Tycho and in the middle it's Monica who sees the news for the 2nd impact with the shockwave spreading across the atmosphere. Then eventually the hold-your-breath moment of Luna citizens watching the 4th being detected and the railgun shot which fragments it into multiple rocks before the cleanup barrage finishes.

6 of 10 were going to hit, Chrissie managed to get through and prevented half of those. So catastrophic level but not whole planet is fucked for a million years level which would happen if the remaining had impacted.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The whole idea of stealth shielded asteroid warfare is pretty fuckin cool and seems like something that could actually happen though

Yeah, I'm still salty since the "throw rocks at the Earth" attack vector was lifted from one of my favorite books. ;)

Fadaar

That guy
Earthers and Martians are flawed humans all over the spectrum of characteristics. I may not empathize with them but they are believable and relatable. Belters just seem to be personified victimhood and retribution. Or maybe even veiled plot devices. Miller and Johnson were the most believable Belters and loltheydead.

unsure about Miller but Johnson was an Earther to start, probably why they're much better

• 1Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
They need to stop killing off the good characters. Good episode but never been so angry at the show like now. That spiky haired bitch just suddenly changed the whole direction of the plot ? How did no one suspect her dumbass before. How did they even know where Johnson was hiding the molecule. And also as annoying as Naomi is her son with his stupid half open mouthed stare is even worse. They’re keeping the wrong people alive.

Thrawn used the same strategy more or less in heir to the empire.

• 1Like

Cybsled

This thread side tangent reminded me of some shitty made for TV movie in the early 90s. All I remember is it had John Delancie as a reporter. Aliens were lobbing meteors at Earth and eventually they put together a plan to stop the next meteor, but then some dude figures out the meteors are aliens trying to communicate and the aliens get salty after we nuke a meteor and then lob like 1,000 meteors at the Earth and kill everyone lol

edit: lol found it

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, most of the belters are definitely very one note and not very interesting because of that. There's a few exceptions, but that's definitely the trend. Miller, Johnson, Drummer, Ashford, there's probably a few others that I'm forgetting, but that's a pretty small minority for interesting characters.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
naomi is like michael from star trek. a diversity hire no one believes is there on their merits and only trash writing can jam it through the storyline.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

yea some1 please give me a tldr on naomi and stupid son? i really just fastforward when i see her stupid ass on tv

Merrith

yea some1 please give me a tldr on naomi and stupid son? i really just fastforward when i see her stupid ass on tv

When Naomi was much younger, she used to run with Marco and his bunch. That's why the big guy (Cyn) and the chick knew who she was in the bar when she went to find her son. She had the kid with Marco when she was with him, drawn to his charisma, Belter shit, etc. We'll see where they go with it, in the books he had used a program or something she wrote to cause a reactor problem with a ship to blow it up. Naomi felt responsible and turned away from Marco for putting blood on her hands, leaving behind their son because Marco was still the head hancho.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When Naomi was much younger, she used to run with Marco and his bunch. That's why the big guy (Cyn) and the chick knew who she was in the bar when she went to find her son. She had the kid with Marco when she was with him, drawn to his charisma, Belter shit, etc. We'll see where they go with it, in the books he had used a program or something she wrote to cause a reactor problem with a ship to blow it up. Naomi felt responsible and turned away from Marco for putting blood on her hands, leaving behind their son because Marco was still the head hancho.
oh shit, i honestly got confused w/ naomi and the black chick from picard w/ some black kid she left behind, i was like "didn't i see this already"?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
This season is the first one where the show doesn’t feel worth watching when compared to the books.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I disagree. They're following the book narrative and each character basically gives you a POV into the major events:

Holden: Lets you see what is going on with Fred Johnson and the Protomolecule
Naomi: Lets you see what is going on with Marco
Alex: Lets you see what is going on with Mars and the black market shit
Amos: Lets you see what is going on with Earth

I never was a fan of the Naomi & her son story line in the book (although at least the show let you know about the son much earlier and build that up more...in the book she basically just drops an information bomb out of the blue that she has a kid and peaces out to find him), but I did appreciate the POV into the extremist Marco belters.

• 2Like

Merrith

Did anybody mention Bull being brought in as security on Tycho for this season after they wrote the character out of Season 3?