The Fast Food Thread

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah shrinkflation is hitting pretty hard - especially hard since Japan wages are stagnant and there's no such thing as a cost of living adjustment here.

Food prices in particular are up bigly. 30-50% for a lot of things. Packages have gotten smaller too. The high American $ is what is causing a lot of pain.

It's funny, Japan has been seeking inflation for quite awhile and now that it's here they are realizing how painful it is.
Companies are straight up fucking with us now. Mayo now almost $8 for standard size jar. Used to be $4.99. GF's coffee went down 30 ounces yet price stayed the same. $6 for a small bag of tiny candy bars. $22 pack of toilet paper. The list goes on and on.

Shit like this is coming from a handful of companies owning nearly every food brand.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Chick-fil-A honey pepper pimento chicken sandwich 8/10 tempted to get two when I order

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008_061436_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_061436_Chrome.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 11
  • 5Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Companies are straight up fucking with us now. Mayo now almost $8 for standard size jar. Used to be $4.99. GF's coffee went down 30 ounces yet price stayed the same. $6 for a small bag of tiny candy bars. $22 pack of toilet paper. The list goes on and on.

Shit like this is coming from a handful of companies owning nearly every food brand.
The people on this forum are convinced that all this is just standard inflation, and that the companies aren't price gouging at all.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The people on this forum are convinced that all this is just standard inflation, and that the companies aren't price gouging at all.

I work in food manufacturing. Orders are down across the board. No way is this price gouging.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm still being assured by "experts" on this forum that inflation is actually only 1.9%.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are prices up because orders are down? Or are orders down because prices are up?

No one is going to cut orders to raise prices. If we cut orders, we need to shut down lines, layoff people, run down inventory, etc. Then when orders go back up we have to restock inventory, get the lines back up, rehire and retrain people, it's a logistical nightmare. Plants would rather keep their lines running to maintain efficiency and consistency of workforce and product quality instead of trying to artificially drive supply/demand.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No one is going to cut orders to raise prices. If we cut orders, we need to shut down lines, layoff people, run down inventory, etc. Then when orders go back up we have to restock inventory, get the lines back up, rehire and retrain people, it's a logistical nightmare. Plants would rather keep their lines running to maintain efficiency and consistency of workforce and product quality instead of trying to artificially drive supply/demand.
That wasn't one of the things I suggested. The two things I said -- Lower sales often means a need to raise prices to make up the revenue, but higher prices means customers are less likely to order.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That wasn't one of the things I suggested. The two things I said -- Lower sales often means a need to raise prices to make up the revenue, but higher prices means customers are less likely to order.

Another thing that's not going to happen. First of all, raising prices isn't some arbitrary decision a person can wake up one day and do. For example, we Coman for Rich's, which sells to Walmart/Publix/Kroger etc. If Rich's calls up these companies and tells them they want to raise prices on their appetizers, they better have a really good reason. Rich's was able to get in one price increase and one size reduction from 16 oz to 15 oz. When they tried for another, Walmart told them to fuck off, hence they then had to cut orders.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

this should get you started assuming your not to high or gorged on fast food to concentrate

1696779334989.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Rich's was able to get in one price increase and one size reduction from 16 oz to 15 oz. When they tried for another, Walmart told them to fuck off, hence they then had to cut orders.
Actually nah, this is exactly what I meant by higher prices means customers cut orders, but still not gonna reply after this.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Kiroy Kiroy these posts started this particular conversation
Yeah shrinkflation is hitting pretty hard - especially hard since Japan wages are stagnant and there's no such thing as a cost of living adjustment here.

Food prices in particular are up bigly. 30-50% for a lot of things. Packages have gotten smaller too. The high American $ is what is causing a lot of pain.

It's funny, Japan has been seeking inflation for quite awhile and now that it's here they are realizing how painful it is.

Funny how no one jumped down their throats, and yet I get piled on for simply agreeing ;)