The Fast Food Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here's the lowdown on Costco:

The rotisserie chicken is godly. $4.99 for a HUGE chicken. My local grocery stores at $6.99 and not nearly as big.

Diapers and wipes are cheaper than anywhere other than Amazon subscribe & save if you have kids. And I find it easier to drop by Costco when we run out than having to plan a few days in advance for Amazon to deliver them. I don't plan ahead that well.

The meat is solid. My local Costco often sells Ribeyes and KC Strips for ~$8.99/lb. Local grocery stores tend to vary between $10-$12/lb for these cuts, and the meat at Costco seems to be better quality too, much better marbling & the steaks are thicker. Only downside is you have to buy like 3-4 at a time, so I generally have to freeze some. My wife and I can't eat 4 lbs of steak in 1 week(well, we could, but we shouldnt)

ALCOHOL. Sweet, sweet alcohol. Not only do they have named brand alchol a couple bucks cheaper than liquor stores, but Kirkland brand alcohol is usually REALLY cheap, and pretty decent quality(except for their beer). Costco even carries local microbrews. My favorite local brew here in KC is Boulevard Tank 7. a 4-pack of bottles is $9.99 at most local stores. Costco sells a case(24) for $50. Thats a $10(20%) savings. Damn nice.

Good prices on coffee. Kirkland-brand coffee is solid(its made by Starbucks, but its cheaper than Starbucks brand), but they also have some pretty reasonable K-cups if you're into the Kuerig thing.

I also like buying their frozen angus hamburger patties. 18 1/3-lb angus beef patties, frozen, for like $18. Comes out to $3 per pound, which is a good price and they're already pre-made into patties. Super convenient. Can just grab a couple and slap them on the grill for a quick dinner.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Don't forget that they sell chicken breast and thighs in bulk that come individually packaged at 2-4 breasts/thighs per package within the larger bulk packaging. No need to take extra time individually wrapping smaller portions for freezing, it's already done for you! BJ's sells chicken this way too.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Depends where you go. Grocery stores they are sometimes on sale but not always. Even so it was cheaper
Costco's in Phoenix AZ and Portland OR, both do not have the Blue monsters. Just full sugar Green, or half the energy blend Absolute Zero varieties. Sucks.
frown.png

And I feel sorry for Tarrant that he let his membership pass by. Costco is awesome.

Also, I'm gonna start Googling. I bet somewhere they have a Costco vs grocery store price comparison website. Stock at Costco doesn't change that often to make it terribly inconvenient.

Vaclav

Don't forget that they sell chicken breast and thighs in bulk that come individually packaged at 2-4 breasts/thighs per package within the larger bulk packaging. No need to take extra time individually wrapping smaller portions for freezing, it's already done for you! BJ's sells chicken this way too.
Mostly on the chicken - I swear I puncture a good third of them somehow - I just double bag them to be safe. =/

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Depends where you go. Grocery stores they are sometimes on sale but not always. Even so it was cheaper
Monsters are usually 2 for 3 or like 3 for 5 here. I prefer Rockstar and they are always 2 for 3 at Walmart. Rockstar Punched is the shit, and I would drink it even without all the caffeine and added shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Costco's in Phoenix AZ and Portland OR, both do not have the Blue monsters. Just full sugar Green, or half the energy blend Absolute Zero varieties. Sucks.
frown.png

And I feel sorry for Tarrant that he let his membership pass by. Costco is awesome.

Also, I'm gonna start Googling. I bet somewhere they have a Costco vs grocery store price comparison website. Stock at Costco doesn't change that often to make it terribly inconvenient.
I drink the white one, it's the best. I used to drink the blue but that shit started to taste like ass.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Kirkland beer use to be brewed by Brooklyn brewery. No longer the case sadly. Now it is only shitty keystonesque crap.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I have to say, the chicken breasts they sell at my Costco is pretty not great, so I'm surprised you were down on the Sprouts meat. My costco sells this goldkist farms junk. It's pretty out of line with everything else they offer.

Crone

I drink the white one, it's the best. I used to drink the blue but that shit started to taste like ass.
The Ultra White with the fancy ass can? The Ultra Red, Blue, and White are all pretty good, but not sold at Costco for cheap.
frown.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I have to say, the chicken breasts they sell at my Costco is pretty not great, so I'm surprised you were down on the Sprouts meat. My costco sells this goldkist farms junk. It's pretty out of line with everything else they offer.
Guess it varies a lot based on region but around here the meat is much better at all the club stores than it is at any local grocery chain.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Also the deli is just fucking amazing - since there's no quantity limitations but usually at least 0.50/lb better than the groceries. Half pound of everything? Sure thing. (Plus they insist on giving samples for every batch your getting - the one time I refused they got grumpy with me - end up eating basically a meal worth of lunchmeat for free from them forcing the sampling on me, hah)
You guys don't have HEB groceries up there lol. HEB for the fucking win. Most of their things are far better than clubs for things like deli meats, regular meats/bison/veal/lamb, etc. They also cater to the local (as in the neighborhood) demographics. Since I live in whiteland where seeing a black person is more rare than winning the lottery, they also have things like olive bars, and really nice wines and shit too. If I want to get some sloppy shit, I just roll to the hood, and can get my collard greens and fried chicken. No really, that's how it works. It's funny.

But yeah, Cosco shines for us for shit like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, kleenex, drinks, and a few other things. But yeah that frozen shit, god. Makes me cringe.

Vaclav

You guys don't have HEB groceries up there lol. HEB for the fucking win. Most of their things are far better than clubs for things like deli meats, regular meats/bison/veal/lamb, etc. They also cater to the local (as in the neighborhood) demographics. Since I live in whiteland where seeing a black person is more rare than winning the lottery, they also have things like olive bars, and really nice wines and shit too. If I want to get some sloppy shit, I just roll to the hood, and can get my collard greens and fried chicken. No really, that's how it works. It's funny.

But yeah, Cosco shines for us for shit like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, kleenex, drinks, and a few other things. But yeah that frozen shit, god. Makes me cringe.
HEB reads like Wegman's was to be honest (my employer before I retired) - this article in followup to you talking about them was the first I'd heard of them though.The Smartest Supermarket You Never Heard Of - Forbes

Publix OVER here (I'm in FL these days, left MD about 6 months ago) is probably in a similar category though, the quality is definitely better on most things at Publix for sure - but I only go there when I'm not buying for a couple weeks, which is generally my preference. If I'm freezing meat the quality difference really diminishes where they're basically equal though. But they (much like Wegman's) barring the cool "Free item" coupon books is generally more costly than BJs - better than an average grocery for sure though - usually about 75% regular store prices, but with sales that generally aren't as extreme (besides the coupon book stuff).

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Nice article, and very true. I hate shopping, I hate grocery shopping even more but Ineverhave had an issue going to HEB the place is just fun, really. This part is especially true:

For years, Randalls has used one of those annoying programs in which you have to provide your key-ring barcode to get the advertised prices on many sale items. (Mine became unscannable, and then fell off my key ring.) Not long ago, they "enhanced" their program by requiring you to go to their website, pre-select the sale items that you expect to purchase, and print them out. Really? Was this in response to customer demand for a more inconvenient and inexplicably complex way to get advertised prices on sale items?
I HATE this kind of thing. Randalls is "following what the market does" while HEB is not, but when the market makes a stupid decision (like this) Randalls suffers. I think Kroger does the same shit with stupid cards and whatnot. That's a total foreign concept lol. I'm always amazed how people "accept" these kinds of htings. It's like doing surveys with nothing in return. It's bullshit.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Our fucking HEB parking lot and store is under construction and has been for months. Sucks because it makes you not want to go. The turn in backs up onto a 4 lane road that is also a block away from the interstate and is the interstate access which blows for people not even going to HEB.

But they have great meat. I live about halfway between HEB and whole foods and spend more money at HEB.

I rarely use a rewards card, but Kroger did call earlier and tell me the bluebell ice cream I bought was recalled.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nice article, and very true. I hate shopping, I hate grocery shopping even more but Ineverhave had an issue going to HEB the place is just fun, really. This part is especially true:

I HATE this kind of thing. Randalls is "following what the market does" while HEB is not, but when the market makes a stupid decision (like this) Randalls suffers. I think Kroger does the same shit with stupid cards and whatnot. That's a total foreign concept lol. I'm always amazed how people "accept" these kinds of htings. It's like doing surveys with nothing in return. It's bullshit.
Kroger lets you stack them, at least certain ones. We use our Kroger card (which is either the key-ring, my wife's cell number, or on the cell phone) and before we go shopping we can also go in to the app and pre-load additional coupons on to our card. Then when we get there can go back to using one of the many methods to actually input our number. Never had to print anything out and the wife constantly gets like $0.40 off gas because I use her number every time I shop. Same goes for Walgreens and any other damn place.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Amazon Mom

Just fyi for you dads, there's "amazon prime mom", it's basically prime and you get an extra 20% on diapers.

also one thing about amazon subscribe and save, it takes effect next month (to get the saves and to enable the subscription), this was to deter ppl from adding subscribe to cart, then cancelling once it arrived.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How have none of you heathens mentioned Trader Joe's? Greatest market around.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How have none of you heathens mentioned Trader Joe's? Greatest market around.
I refuse to shop in any place that has little shopping carts for children. As if shopping was annoying enough with people blocking aisles. Now their kids can join in on being assholes!