The Fast Food Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You sure like to keep this going for someone with no horse in the race.

And no, the counterpoint is that if you don't lie about nearly every part of the process then the changes you experience aren't as drastic as Spurlock showed. Fast food isn't good for you, but it isn't going to nearly kill you in a month like he suggested.
Calm down your rage

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Haven't seen the doc but the chicken processors do have the farmers under their thumb in a big way. It's looked at as a cautionary tale for those of us in the beef industry all the time. Tyson or whoever provides the chicks, and tells the farmer what to feed, how to take care of them, when to harvest them, and what they're going to get paid. Pork is pretty far down that road as well I think. It can be profitable, but you are more or less an employee except you're also assuming a lot of the risk if something goes wrong.

Those meat chickens are pretty crazy. My mom has started getting a few of them along with her egg birds and raising them in the same coop and they couldn't be more different. The meat chickens grow 3 times as fast as the egg layers. They are free to go out in the yard but they don't. They just sit next to the food trough and stuff themselves. You see in that picture that the feathers are rubbed off on the breast/stomach? That's because they just flop next to the trough like a beached whale all the time. When they are full grown (6 weeks or so?) you have to butcher them or they will get too big to be able to walk and shortly they will all just die of heart attacks. Mom didn't get hers killed soon enough and like 5 out of 12 just dropped dead. They are basically just protein machines. They really don't have any desire to do anything but eat and they won't live more than a couple of months. Pretty crazy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It also brings up a point I've talked about before - all of this is causing a 'woody breast' epidemic, especially in the Northeast US.

I know I've talked about it before and other markets don't see it as often. Essentially the breasts are growing too big too quickly and are super tough. So you cook them, bite into them, and they have this weird crunchyness to them that you'd expect a raw chicken breast to have. Like a snap almost? Tough to chew in a very offputting way. I've stopped buying regular chicken breast and only buy the range free stuff because of it. It's absolutely disgusting, and I can't understand why it's not talked about more:

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
And what's the counterpoint to it - that doing what he did doesn't cause adverse health effects? I'm just curious IM NOT RAGING
lets just all admit supersize me was a dumb clickbait equivalent docu, i mean it had such an impact mcdees got rid of the term "supersize".

i would venture to say that if anyone redid supersize me, and drank water, they'd be near the pinnacle of health. It's not the food that kills you, it's the 100grams of sugar from the soda fountain you can easily refill.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
lets just all admit supersize me was a dumb clickbait equivalent docu, i mean it had such an impact mcdees got rid of the term "supersize".

i would venture to say that if anyone redid supersize me, and drank water, they'd be near the pinnacle of health. It's not the food that kills you, it's the 100grams of sugar from the soda fountain you can easily refill.

Multiple people have done this, and none of them had results like Spurlock's. It was bullshit. People talk about "fast food" as if it's a type of food and not a type of restaurant. The food is bread/meat/cheese/veggies just like every other restaurant. It's not a particularly healthy diet, but it's not some sort of poison.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Multiple people have done this, and none of them had results like Spurlock's. It was bullshit. People talk about "fast food" as if it's a type of food and not a type of restaurant. The food is bread/meat/cheese/veggies just like every other restaurant. It's not a particularly healthy diet, but it's not some sort of poison.
yea i don't want to be a defender of mcdees, but their nugs are 100% chicken boob and their meat patties are 100% beef, ppl think ALL fast food industry is bad... no, maybe places like tacobell that has 88% beef and 12% ???

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Those meat chickens are pretty crazy. My mom has started getting a few of them along with her egg birds and raising them in the same coop and they couldn't be more different. The meat chickens grow 3 times as fast as the egg layers. They are free to go out in the yard but they don't. They just sit next to the food trough and stuff themselves. You see in that picture that the feathers are rubbed off on the breast/stomach? That's because they just flop next to the trough like a beached whale all the time. When they are full grown (6 weeks or so?) you have to butcher them or they will get too big to be able to walk and shortly they will all just die of heart attacks. Mom didn't get hers killed soon enough and like 5 out of 12 just dropped dead. They are basically just protein machines. They really don't have any desire to do anything but eat and they won't live more than a couple of months. Pretty crazy.

so basically every american's wet dream and yet we're crying about the abuse. lol

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Have any of these documentaries about the various meat industries ever been made by someone who wasn't a vegan/vegetarian with a vendetta against meat? Strange how so many people buy into the meat industries being disgusting and unsafe while acting like vegetable/fruit farming/harvesting can't be just as unsanitary.

There are way more vegetable recalls and scares than meat recalls and scares.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
yea i don't want to be a defender of mcdees, but their nugs are 100% chicken boob and their meat patties are 100% beef, ppl think ALL fast food industry is bad... no, maybe places like tacobell that has 88% beef and 12% ???
You still believe that whole Taco Bell doesn't use real beef thing?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
On a side note I am on day 10 of the Carnivore/Zero Carb Diet and I feel amazing. Yay meat!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
dude me too, did you start after superbowl also? cuz cheap ribeyes
I don't watch football anymore, it was pure coincidence that I started on that Sunday. I will make this quick as I understand this isn't the health weight loss thread...

I love bagels they are my weakness. I have had zero cravings for any type of bread on this diet. Feels good man, feels good.

What I miss most is beer and whiskey, I just enjoy a good craft beer or a nice whiskey a few times a week. I am going to allow myself a cheat day every 30 days, where I don't change anything other than allowing myself a few drinks. The thought of eating bread just sounds gross, I do not miss being bloated at all.

/end derail

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Worst doc ever made. Tossed in the trash

Agree the devil is the soda. I'm living proof

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, so essentially they use 100% beef, just like everyone else does, and then puts seasoning and other shit in it...just like everyone else does. The only difference is that Taco Bell mixes it all up, so they stupidly labeled it as 88% beef for some reason (I'm assuming that moron got fired). That's like saying a Wendy's spicy chicken is only 88% chicken, because all the spices and breading and shit isn't chicken. If, for some reason, Wendy's sold a "ground spicy chicken" taco, they might call it 88% chicken too. If they were dumb.

It is still 100% beef, just like everyone else. They just included the additives for some stupid reason.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, so essentially they use 100% beef, just like everyone else does, and then puts seasoning and other shit in it...just like everyone else does. The only difference is that Taco Bell mixes it all up, so they stupidly labeled it as 88% beef for some reason (I'm assuming that moron got fired). That's like saying a Wendy's spicy chicken is only 88% chicken, because all the spices and breading and shit isn't chicken. If, for some reason, Wendy's sold a "ground spicy chicken" taco, they might call it 88% chicken too. If they were dumb.

It is still 100% beef, just like everyone else. They just included the additives for some stupid reason.
no, it's in packaging.

when you open a box of frozen mcdee patties, even tho it's frozen and look like hockey pucks, it's 100% beef, that entire box is 100% beef.
8.jpg

when you get a package of tacobell meat, it's pre-cooked beef, simmered in seasoning and 12% stuff
18k5pvipr2ur8jpg.jpg

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I've oft been crushed by removal of long time products. Hate they got rid of Kirkland bread. Not exciting but now another reason I go to a regular grocery now instead of being able to 1 stop shop.
That's always been a problem with Costco. They had a great asiago sour/cream cheese dip for awhile but it disappeared about a month ago.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
no, it's in packaging.

when you open a box of frozen mcdee patties, even tho it's frozen and look like hockey pucks, it's 100% beef, that entire box is 100% beef.
8.jpg

when you get a package of tacobell meat, it's pre-cooked beef, simmered in seasoning and 12% stuff
18k5pvipr2ur8jpg.jpg
Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I said. The 88% includes the shit that isn't beef. The beef part of it is 100% beef, just like those McDonald's patties. If you were to take a bag of McDonald's chicken nuggets, they might say 88% chicken, because it is counting the breading and seasoning and coloring and shit. But the chicken that goes into it is (I assume) 100% chicken. You're just focusing on the one aspect because it makes Taco Bell look bad.