The Fast Food Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
There are multiple studies showing some artificial, zero calorie sweeteners spike your insulin levels. A quick Google should turn up a number of fairly accurate lists. It is one of the reasons I started using liquid stevia. It is non-nutrative and so doesn't have an effect on fasting insulin levels.

As far as the dangers of sugar substitutes, they are some of the most tested substances on Earth. Aspartame, in fact, is the single most tested substance ever and there is no evidence it causes any of the side-effects reported anecdotally in the media. Are they good for you? Who knows. The one thing that the media wants to ignore, though, is that sugar is undeniably bad for you and likely worse than all other substitutes.

Even if aspartame did increase the likelihood of cancer, the correct question would be how does it compare to sugar since we know sugar causes a host of metabolic diseases and cancers. Most studies concerning sugar substitutes are completely unscientific and most meta-analysis lumps legitimate studies in with bullshit ones, so it is quite difficult to get the actual facts concerning the health effects of sugar and sugar substitutes.
I've got the beetus and diet drinks do not spike my blood sugar. If they spiked insulin levels without there being excess sugar to metabolize wouldn't there be many cases of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) reactions? I haven't heard of any such phenomenon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That Montana jersey probably fits like a dress now.

Funny enough, all my Niner jerseys were L. So, when I got to roughly the weight of a rhino, they fit more like a spandex cutoff. When I was the size of a tiny house, I only bought Niner sweatshirts to hide my sloppy titties. Pretty sure those 4XLs are in storage somewhere.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Shamrock Shake returns today. This weekend I'm hitting up Lucky Buns for (at least) 3 more hot tiger buns and I think I'll top it off with a frosty Shamrock Shake.

hot tiger bun.jpg

• 4Like
  • 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Mmmm that's a good looking chicken sandwich although I question the need to garnish it with it's unfertilized young

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've got the beetus and diet drinks do not spike my blood sugar. If they spiked insulin levels without there being excess sugar to metabolize wouldn't there be many cases of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) reactions? I haven't heard of any such phenomenon.

Well, you made me go back and look at those studies and it turns out that those insulin level spikes with artificial sweeteners were mostly done by testing with carb intake compared to water. The sweeteners themselves did not raise blood sugar or insulin levels, but they correlated with larger spikes than water when consuming carbs after ingesting the sweetener. So there doesn't appear to be any evidence that zero-calorie, non-nutritive sweeteners by themselves can cause those spikes, and thus you don't see hypoglycemia reactions simply due to diet drink consumption. It gets more complicated when the drinks contain additional ingredients that themselves may have carbs or if you are using a powdered sweetener that contains dextrose or some other carb for bulking, but it still seems like those spikes would be in proportion to the carbs ingested and so by themselves couldn't produce a hypoglycemic state. I specifically use liquid sweeteners because they don't have any bulking agents and so you can be sure they don't kick you out of a fasting state, so all of my research has been centered around staying in a fasting state as opposed to managing diabetes. I imagine that the difference in those two things probably colors the recommendations substantially.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My son just had his first happy meal. He devoured his fries then dug into mine.

1582143044235.gif

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the happy meal fries are never enough for my kids. I always have to get an extra for them to split.

Last week my 4 year old finished a 10 piece and a medium fry by himself.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is exactly it right here. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into arguments/debates with family/friends over sugar substitutes being "bad" for you and had to use this exact line.

I am 100% a soda addict. Fully admit it and realize I'm completely unwilling/unable to change it and cut out soda completely. At one point in my life, I was 393 pounds and now fluctuate between 185-190 ( inb4 you check the RL picture thread for proof, faggots). The single largest contributor to my weight loss was obviously diet (I actually didn't increase my physical activity by that much, tbh). And part of that diet was finding an alternative to "real" soda. I typically drank between 6-8 cans worth a day, sometimes approaching 12+ on the weekends. I actually saw very poor results from dieting until I swapped to "diet" soda. I was drinking so many fucking empty calories that it was unreal. I just never really cared/realized it.

So, while I doubt sugar substitutes are "good" for you(obviously), for me at least, the alternative is far more detrimental to my health. I still drink about 6-8 cans a day worth of "diet" soda, more on the weekends. I also pound another 4-8 servings of the Mio water flavor stuff, as I can't stand how "plain" tasting water is. I still have no problems maintaining weight, remain beetus free, and had a ton of bloodwork done when my girlfriend and I went through IVF that all turned out perfectly normal.

Back on topic, just swung by the Bell for a Baja Blast Zero. I still maintain that Gorditas are an S-tier fast food item, even all these years later.
Oh shit! That's some good shit right here. Nice job man!

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Kentucky Fried Chicken & Donuts feature the brand’s fried chicken paired with with warm, fresh-glazed donuts. They’re available in a variety of options ranging from $5.49 to $7.99:

• Kentucky Fried Chicken & Donuts Basket meal: Chicken on the bone or Extra Crispy chicken tenders, paired with one donut. Also available as a big basket meal, which includes two donuts.
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken & Donuts Sandwich: A hand-breaded Extra Crispy chicken filet sandwiched between two fully glazed donuts.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Emmy does some pretty cool stuff and she is willing to try some way out shit. i saw this and thought you guys would be interested.

• 1Like