The Fast Food Thread

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dominoes is fine. Just order the pan pizza with 3 toppings for $7.99. Of course this is the pick up but its so easy to order online and get on the way home.
Price matters and trust me your local mom and pop pizzeria is at least twice as much. Plus i really only like getting slices from those places. Every time i've ordered a nice 16 inch pizza delivered from real pizza place i'm always disappointed. It just doesn't taste the same as eating at the place. And it costs a ton.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
this was my first dominos order in 10yrs, i was just testing out the wings and they were literally half the size of the bdub wings, ethiopian chicken, everytime i bit into it i heard sarah mclachlan
Because they were pigeon wings.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Price matters and trust me your local mom and pop pizzeria is at least twice as much.

And often just dough and sauce from the same food services truck that half the non-chain places in town use. Sure, smart restaurants will add something to try to make it unique and taste house made, but very fewer and fewer mom and pops are really house made anything anymore. Often gotta go to very trendy, overpriced hipster places for that.

The advantage chains have is the purchasing and production power to have their own unique product being delivered on their own trucks. Sure, still not the best house made product, but at least unique. So find something you like locally that preps stuff well and a chain is often going to be better, sadly.

This is what doomed local burger stands, and now it's happening with local pizza places. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Chain loyalty is as dumb as the people who seem to think every chain everywhere is identically bad, though. It can vary greatly, and when chains change recipes or product, I'll change with them. Used to like a Pizza Hut in my last city. Domino's made positive changes, is very inexpensive (price does matter) and the local ones are good and staffed my mostly young white kids. So, now it's what we get.

But I don't claim every Pizza Hut is shit tier to justify my personal tastes, though. Especially in a thread discussing at length the virtues and qualities of frozen pizza.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
And often just dough and sauce from the same food services truck that half the non-chain places in town use. Sure, smart restaurants will add something to try to make it unique and taste house made, but very fewer and fewer mom and pops are really house made anything anymore.

Used to like a Pizza Hut in my last city. Domino's made positive changes, is very inexpensive (price does matter) and the local ones are good and staffed my mostly young white kids. So, now it's what we get.
Yea, I grew up loving pizza hut and hating dominos. Then I moved where I am now and I had to learn the exact opposite was true here. Dominos is amazing and a great deal both.

I do love me some mom and pop places now and then, especially the big slices from a store run by italians with a beer to wash it down. Got a place near me that makes its own noodles and pizza sauce, and you can really tell it in the flavor. Dominos is my go to for pizza, but if I'm meeting with friends or family I tend to hit up mom and pop place. We're from the northeast, so my family can all sling shit right back at the italians behind the counter.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Almost sounds like all mom and pop pizzas are the same.
In NY there is a mom and pops pizza place on every corner. Literally. Some are distinctly better than others. Some just sort of phone it in and use canned/processed everything. Some make their own sauce and shit. When you find one of the gems its pretty awesome.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Almost sounds like all mom and pop pizzas are the same.

It depends. If you're in a city with well established local spots, then they may still be doing unique recipes. Some places do enough of a business to thrive for the long term. Most don't, though (no surprise, most restaurants in general don't survive, much less thrive, but privately funded or small operations often struggle even more).

Big cities you're going to have more options, but also more generic places to sift through; maybe an advantage because there could be a market for a local middle man to supply restaurants with slightly higher quality products.

Small cities, unless there is a very specific local culture that supports hole-in-the-wall restaurants, most places are going to be serving up pretty generic fare with a lot of it being the same pre-made doughs and whatnot being shippped to most places in town. Less options to sift through to find the real gems, but also less gems.

The unfortunate thing culturally is it's not just a way to financially compete with chains. One of the things chains try to offer is a homogenized experience where the customer can reasonably anticipate what you'll get. Chains spend an inordinate amount of time and effort trying to get the exact same product every time everywhere, and still fuck it up often enough it's a common complaint in this thread.

A local place making things in house, though? Consistency is a struggle, and what used to be part of the charm just infuriates customers these days. Sometimes it's going to be better than others, sometimes the sauce is spicier or dough chewier. Even if they try to make it the same every time, that's not how things like prepping dough even work as conditions will change how it reacts. So a lot of local places actually value getting the same doughs from the same trucks that were prepped and frozen in consistent factory settings. It's almost a way for them to compete with the homogenized cultural expectations we've developed around cuisine.

What's the point, then, if most of your local, non-chain pizza places are basically serving up the same or similar product to each other? But with even less corporate support to help consistency? I dunno, at this point, which is why chains dominate and increasingly so. We're very much in a 'good enough' culture that is disconnected from experiencing food unless you're a real food snob. Most people cherish consistent, good enough cuisine everyone in the family or group can agree to shrug their shoulders as they accept it over something exceptional but perhaps not as consistent.

It's why pop music is called pop music, I guess. It's like going into a bunch of department stores and you don't really even acknowledge the musak playing or generic pop music. It's just easier. They play something that is generic and forgettable. One local grocery store will sometimes play classic country, which I love, but the cultural diversity will be openly grumbling about it in the aisles.

Now, we've entered the phase of American decline where people can't even be bothered to have a connection with how food is prepped or grown or raise, nor even a the product or experience of eating out. It's just the thing we have to do to stay alive, and for increasing amounts of families they can't even really do it well enough at home to be serviceable, so give us something that is good enough, that won't cause even a discussion within the family/group, that everyone can at least know what to expect. Going out to dinner has become something most families just deal with these days, and with a smile on their face because they don't know better, or simply don't care.

Even fast food used to be something a lot of people enjoyed for specific, isolated or even nostalgic reasons. Now it's just the trough many Americans routinely feed themselves at, and with the expectation it will be done in the least cumbersome manner. And the best way to compete is for more restaurants to just buy into the ease of getting to add their slop into the trough.

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It depends. If you're in a city with well established local spots, then they may still be doing unique recipes. Some places do enough of a business to thrive for the long term. Most don't, though (no surprise, most restaurants in general don't survive, much less thrive, but privately funded or small operations often struggle even more).
When I evaluate italian pizza places I have a two step process:

Step 1: Is the overall google/yelp review good?
Step 2: Are all the 1 star reviews comments only about how rude the manager and staff are?

Probably a legit place!

• 3Like
  • 2Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
When I evaluate italian pizza places I have a two step process:

Step 1: Is the overall google/yelp review good?
Step 2: Are all the 1 star reviews comments only about how rude the manager and staff are?

Probably a legit place!

For Asian restaurants I look for 1 star reviews complaining about a rude old woman yelling at the child server for messing something up or yelling at customers or just generally yelling. Kid being yelled at? Probably pretty good asian food.

Only good Pho place in town all the negative reviews are about the old lady yelling at people for sharing orders or trying to make substitutions. (It's too small to have a child server)

• 1Worf

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Anyone been to a Tudor’s Biscuit World? Apparently one’s coming to my area and there’s a bunch of hype, but I’d rather hear reviews from you weird fucks on the internet.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
you weird fucks on the internet.

200.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Anyone been to a Tudor’s Biscuit World? Apparently one’s coming to my area and there’s a bunch of hype, but I’d rather hear reviews from you weird fucks on the internet.
Visible biscuits? To my southern eyes this is blasphemy. Must be a northern thing.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Big cities you're going to have more options, but also more generic places to sift through; maybe an advantage because there could be a market for a local middle man to supply restaurants with slightly higher quality products.

Small cities, unless there is a very specific local culture that supports hole-in-the-wall restaurants, most places are going to be serving up pretty generic fare with a lot of it being the same pre-made doughs and whatnot being shippped to most places in town. Less options to sift through to find the real gems, but also less gems.

The unfortunate thing culturally is it's not just a way to financially compete with chains. One of the things chains try to offer is a homogenized experience where the customer can reasonably anticipate what you'll get. Chains spend an inordinate amount of time and effort trying to get the exact same product every time everywhere, and still fuck it up often enough it's a common complaint in this thread.

A local place making things in house, though? Consistency is a struggle, and what used to be part of the charm just infuriates customers these days. Sometimes it's going to be better than others, sometimes the sauce is spicier or dough chewier. Even if they try to make it the same every time, that's not how things like prepping dough even work as conditions will change how it reacts. So a lot of local places actually value getting the same doughs from the same trucks that were prepped and frozen in consistent factory settings. It's almost a way for them to compete with the homogenized cultural expectations we've developed around cuisine.

What's the point, then, if most of your local, non-chain pizza places are basically serving up the same or similar product to each other? But with even less corporate support to help consistency? I dunno, at this point, which is why chains dominate and increasingly so. We're very much in a 'good enough' culture that is disconnected from experiencing food unless you're a real food snob. Most people cherish consistent, good enough cuisine everyone in the family or group can agree to shrug their shoulders as they accept it over something exceptional but perhaps not as consistent.

It's why pop music is called pop music, I guess. It's like going into a bunch of department stores and you don't really even acknowledge the musak playing or generic pop music. It's just easier. They play something that is generic and forgettable. One local grocery store will sometimes play classic country, which I love, but the cultural diversity will be openly grumbling about it in the aisles.

Now, we've entered the phase of American decline where people can't even be bothered to have a connection with how food is prepped or grown or raise, nor even a the product or experience of eating out. It's just the thing we have to do to stay alive, and for increasing amounts of families they can't even really do it well enough at home to be serviceable, so give us something that is good enough, that won't cause even a discussion within the family/group, that everyone can at least know what to expect. Going out to dinner has become something most families just deal with these days, and with a smile on their face because they don't know better, or simply don't care.

Even fast food used to be something a lot of people enjoyed for specific, isolated or even nostalgic reasons. Now it's just the trough many Americans routinely feed themselves at, and with the expectation it will be done in the least cumbersome manner. And the best way to compete is for more restaurants to just buy into the ease of getting to add their slop into the trough.
This is a long ass fucking post when you could have just said all pizza is the same, which is a core tenet of this thread.
You would know that if you weren’t writing a dissertation on whatever the fuck this is that I didn’t even read.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 2Edgelord
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
got some publix wings, so far best value at under a $1 a wing, chicken is normal sized but nothing special bdubs still beating it out.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Wings from pizza places are always trash

For the most part I'd agree, especially if we're talking chains.

I might have to summon Breakdown Breakdown for this one, but even in Buffalo I seem to remember the wings from places like La Nova's, Just Pizza, etc were good, they were ok...but I don't ever remember them being as good as from an actual wing place.

I also just checked a map and they opened up a Jets Pizza close to where I used to live; just north of Delaware park. Da Fuq?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
This is a long ass fucking post when you could have just said all pizza is the same, which is a core tenet of this thread.
You would know that if you weren’t writing a dissertation on whatever the fuck this is that I didn’t even read.

All pizza is the same? Core tenet of a thread that discusses in depth the subtle differences between frozen pizza brands? Da fuq?

Maybe you're just one of those types that makes dumb arguments about pizza and sex both never being bad because your wife is a beefer that lays there deader than your taste buds from too many cigarettes?

I'm sorry you either can't taste, or have none.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You don't know it but you're parachuting in here. Not getting the "all pizza is the same" reference just shows you're a noob in the fast food thread.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All pizza is the same? Core tenet of a thread that discusses in depth the subtle differences between frozen pizza brands? Da fuq?

Maybe you're just one of those types that makes dumb arguments about pizza and sex both never being bad because your wife is a beefer that lays there deader than your taste buds from too many cigarettes?

I'm sorry you either can't taste, or have none.
Many years ago some supertasters said all pizza tastes the same. I think it was led by king super taster himself, Noodleface Noodleface . It became a meme.

On another note I had this tonight

image.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Barf