The Fast Food Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Circling back on the Chicago style pizza convo. None compare to Pequod's. It's easily #1. The melted and burnt cheese edges. Fucking epic.
I wouldn't have remembered until you chimed in about Chicago pizza but you grew up there right?

Any good Chicago style in Cali?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't have remembered until you chimed in about Chicago pizza but you grew up there right?

Any good Chicago style in Cali?
Zachary's in Berkeley isn't exactly like what you get in Chicago but it's a pretty solid deep dish. I haven't been there in 14 years but my buddy that I used to go there with recently posted on FB that he still gets it for his birthday every year so I'm assuming it hasn't changed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Patxi's does a really solid Chicago style pizza. Probably the best in SF. We have Little Star too but I don't think it's as good and they try to get all SF faggy with it with spinach and kale and artichokes and shit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Damn if you came to the south burbs I might actually say we should meet up which is really fucking weird but whatever, you're cool, I'd eat Portillo's with you.

No idea what Nana's is but definitely hit up Portillo's.

This was a trip primarily to visit family, so there were a lot of restrictions this time around.

I didn't feel like renting a car and driving around in Chicago traffic, especially since I wanted to hang with family, but that also meant that since they had zero desire to either go downtown or anywhere else the Chicago Shooting Olympics might be taking place, my options were limited. And I don't know if south burbs are much different from south chicago, but I'm literally not sure if my family would have just stopped listening after hearing 'south' or not.

Plus the family has lived there all their lives, so there isn't any appeal to them to go far from home.

We didn't even go out for St Pat's, because there was hemming and hawing about drinking and driving. Instead they picked me up from O'Hare, we talked about all of this in the car, then went straight to a liquor store and ordered pizza when we got home.

That night we ordered pizza from a place in Elgin called Danny's. I want to say it was an actual Italian Beef pizza, including hot giardiniera. But it was almost, but not quite, a thin crust pizza. It wasn't bad but I'm not really sure if I'd go out of my way for it again. It struck me as a sort of local establishment, or a hole in the wall place, and not somewhere you'd go if you wanted the full Chicago Pizza experience.

Nana's was good, and it's in Streamwood so it's an easy straight shot out of Elgin. I'd say their best aspect is that you get fries with every hotdog, and the fries were REALLY good. But they put them on top of the hotdogs so if someone is a sort of OCD supertaster they may not like having fries smashed into their topping. I got a maxwell sausage, a chilidog, and 2 dogs chicago style and they all came with fries on top so that was a lot more food than it sounds like.

1679756158383.png

We did go to Portillo's, and that was in Streamwood too. Family was saying that location is way less busy than Elgin or Schaumberg. I need to get pictures up this weekend. I've had the chocolate cake shake before, but this time I swear there was a weird 'mint' flavor to it. Their maxwell polish was 10/10, and their big beef sandwhich wasn't bad either. Overall, between this time at Portillo's, combined with eating there in the past, I feel like Portillo's just hits home runs by putting out a product that is often better than most of the mom & pop locations.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Lazy Sunday breakfast. Didn't eat at all yesterday and hitting the gym later. Should be enough food for the rest of the day!

20230326_102331.jpg

20230326_102445.jpg

Got at least one of everything on the breakfast menu just to try it.

1679794125743.png

• 4Quality Calories
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Me at KFC:

Me: Double-Down Combo
Them: The sandwich?
Me: I guess it's a sandwich, but I want the combo.

What I received was a single chicken patty on a bun

Them: The sandwich has bread and you ordered the sandwich
Me: bread is not equivalent to chicken!

They just walk away

but come back with a full double down, I kept the sandwich plus the dibblydoo, good times.

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got the spicy chicken sammy yesterday from there for the first time. P friggin legit.

• 1Quality Calories

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
new KFC nuggets are sad fail, ratio is all off. they're solid and tough and breading isn't nearly crispy enough

also had my first failed KFC chicken sandwich today. it wasn't tough or hard or dry or anything, but it was small. usually overflowing from all angles, this one had two bites of just bread and sauce.

joz123

Potato del Grande
new KFC nuggets are sad fail, ratio is all off. they're solid and tough and breading isn't nearly crispy enough

also had my first failed KFC chicken sandwich today. it wasn't tough or hard or dry or anything, but it was small. usually overflowing from all angles, this one had two bites of just bread and sauce.
Ya I got those nuggets too. Fucking terrible waste of money and a few of them was stringy inedible shit. Will stick with El Pollo Loco for chicken stuff.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ya I got those nuggets too. Fucking terrible waste of money and a few of them was stringy inedible shit. Will stick with El Pollo Loco for chicken stuff.
No El Pollo Loco here,

but KFC sandwiches, wraps, and double-downs are still top tier.

• 1Bullshit

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lived in Springfield, Mo for about 10 years
The big craze there was sweet salsa, pretty much what it sounds like...Salsa with sugar added
Also they are crazy about Springfield style cashew chicken

View attachment 464412
which is basically chicken nuggets with brown gravy and cashews sprinkled on top.
Weird people
Bass Pro Shop rules

BoozeCube BoozeCube Alex Alex it’s time

04F9B9CD-E6CD-4CC6-A931-CB4898485579.jpeg

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Ugh, Springfield.
Lived in Springfield, Mo for about 10 years
The big craze there was sweet salsa, pretty much what it sounds like...Salsa with sugar added
Also they are crazy about Springfield style cashew chicken

View attachment 464412
which is basically chicken nuggets with brown gravy and cashews sprinkled on top.
Weird people

Ugh, Springfield.

Every year or two I'll have to drive down there for work.

I just can't put my finger on it, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. If you cornered me on why, I don't think I could tell you. The people seem fine and I don't have any horror stories.

elidib

Vyemm Raider

Hell of a lot better than sonic's nasty popcorn chicken was, but it was pretty dry, had to use dipping sauce just to make it palatable.

not as good as popeyes fish sandwich, or even mcdonalds' honestly, but was better than burger king's. very very small.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I’m at BK. 3 whoppers, 3 cheeseburgers, two med onion rings and a medium fries for 16.99$ with a coupon. Time for 3000 calorie late breakfast.