The Fast Food Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
<Bronze Donator>
32,658
64,501
I guess I got lucky because my mom was always pretty good in the kitchen and pretty adventurous as far as food, and I guess growing up in New Orleans helped expand my horizons as a kid.

You mentioned your grandparents and it was that way with my dad's side of the family. My grandma buddy and her famous meal was Bourbon and beef and it was one of the most bland things there is, and dad used to make it all the goddamn time. I don't even know what the hell it was supposed to be but it was basically a pot roast without any aromatics other than onion. Pretty sure it was a back of the box recipe. Grandpa Bob had his famous spaghetti recipe that of course dad always makes, but I've graduated from that long ago.

My mom's side of the family though, my grandmother was an excellent cook, as was my grandfather, and I think he probably had more Cajun cookbooks than I do. I still make recipes that Grammy used to make that my mom used to cook when I was growing up, and even recipes from her grandmother.

If I go up to Wisconsin to visit and I'm with my Uncle Rob, he knows to always save venison backstrap because we do blackened venison medallions, garlic mashed potatoes, and my grandpa's Caesar salad. Paul Prudhomes not just my favorite chef but that of all of my uncles and my grandpa on Mom's side.

Despite not ever having lived in Wisconsin, they would always come down at least once a year when we lived in New Orleans, and one of the biggest reasons was to simply feast. I guess I was pretty lucky being able to go to some pretty great restaurants growing up, I wasn't a common occasion, but it was pretty damn special, I'm something to look forward to spending time with your family.

Doesn't hurt that he will also save a porchetta in the freezer for when I'm around, except I think I make a better one than what you can get from frabrononi's, but I still enjoy them and they taste like childhood.
Both sides of my family are from Duluth. Both sets of grandparents moved to Denver in the 50s at different points, but ended up going to the same church. They were from Sweden, so culinary war crimes like lutefisk with flour gravy were the super special holiday fare. My dad's mom used to really love cookies that were just slightly sweetened noodle dough that got a little colored sugar on parts of it.

My mom hates cajun food. She has absolutely 0 tolerance for anything spicier than basic ground pepper from a shaker. My dad can't eat too much spice either. Could be genetic, but whatever the cause, they have never built any sort of tolerance for spice at all.

My sister lives in FL and makes cajun stuff all the time.

I don't cook much from scratch at all. Mostly frozen or ready to heat meals or cans of soup. I have buldak, tabasco, and several habanero based sauces I put on everything.
 
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Kobayashi

Silver Baronet of the Realm
1,586
5,084
Culver's being Wisconsin, that's Friday fish fry. I'm not a huge fan of that beer battered British sort of batter on my fish after having grown up in New Orleans and having cornmeal catfish, but I've got a lot of fun memories of going to fish fries with my family in Wisconsin.

But I have gone to Culver's and got their fish and it is pretty good.
Earlier this year, I went to Culver's and they had a walleye fish sandwich for a limited time (just checked, guess it's a Lent thing) . Was pretty good and the filet was gigantic.

In agreement on the batter - I grew up with a breadcrumb batter and prefer that over a beer batter. For what it was, I'd definitely recommend though.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user