The Fifth Element (1997)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
this vid doesn't say it, but it does show you.

The diva was supposed to be a jellyfish. Concept art is translucent.
They used that concept again with Rihanna in Luc Besson's other movie, the title eludes me.

BTW, she didn't lipsync the whole thing, but they definitely modulated her voice to make it sound surreal. Besson ended up dumping her and marrying Jovovich.... 🤔

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
They used that concept again with Rihanna in Luc Besson's other movie, the title eludes me.

BTW, she didn't lipsync the whole thing, but they definitely modulated her voice to make it sound surreal. Besson ended up dumping her and marrying Jovovich.... 🤔

They certainly modulated it. There is no human with that range. And was hers the actual voice being used? Somehow I remembered not.

Yeah, it wasn't her:

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Luc Besson got her pregnant when she was 15 years old (he was 32 at that time).
I think it's disgusting how these persons predate on innoncent men such as Besson.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
she gave it a good run and i think she hits the highs even better than The Diva.

Oh don't get me wrong, she did a fantastic job, and her high end is certainly more controlled than the movie version. The piece is simply not performable by a human voice. Too many octaves covered. It's a fun piece, though.

• 1Like

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Written "impossible for humans", but this person nearly nails it.

Not really. She sings the parts that are possible (but still impressive) and the rest is pre-recorded. Jane Zhang has the closest, fully human recording of the song;
It's not as much about the range as the agility/accuracy of the leaps.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not really. She sings the parts that are possible (but still impressive) and the rest is pre-recorded. Jane Zhang has the closest, fully human recording of the song;
It's not as much about the range as the agility/accuracy of the leaps.
couldnt it be possible with lots of practice? i mean maybe it could fuck your voice up trying to hit all the lows and highs, but i think it can be done.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
couldnt it be possible with lots of practice? i mean maybe it could fuck your voice up trying to hit all the lows and highs, but i think it can be done.

No, there has simply never been someone born with vocal chords both long and loose enough to hit the lowest of notes, and with the ability to be tight and narrow enough to hit the highest notes. There are simply limitations on what the human voice is capable of. Practice can extend one's range somewhat, but you're essentially stuck with the vocal range that genetics gave you. You don't hear of operatic coloratura sopranos deciding they want to be a contralto and changing to that because they just don't have the correct range for it.

• 1Worf
It's appropriate to have a point of reference here.

Here is a good, basic Mozart. In this aria, it is all about tempo: if a singer can do these leaps at a snappy tempo, that's the Everest for coloratura singing. Here is an example of someone who is pretty fearless.

The trills still are not snappy on some parts. Fucking Mozart.

Here is the wonderful Callas. Callas killed her voice early, and had to slow shit down to hit stuff. But check out the diff, it's pretty illuminating how sick this piece gets at faster speeds:

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Valerian. That movie tried so hard to recreate this movie, but Dane DeHan and Cara Delevigne just aren't very likeable actors. Lots of cool shit in the movie, very neat world, treated very poorly. Missing the charm of Bruce Willis. But the squid character, Bubble, was definitely a highlight.

ff0de219-9459-4393-b10c-85c22062d475.jpg

Cara Delevigne just aren't very likeable actors

I don't really give much credence to people whose chief claim to fame is they brought fierce eyebrows back. Not that that isn't awesome, but, ya know, I'm not gonna say "take my money" to it.

If you have one sick Mozart disc, this is mine:

She is significantly faster than the one I posted above. But I can't find it online. Fucking get lol. It's just incredible stuff on the really nasty Mozart. She was young: she could only sing this way for maybe 2 years? Der Holle Rache. Evil shit.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just for the fun, look up the history of Florence Foster Jenkins. She used to rent out Carnegie Hall and give recitals as "special treats" for her friends. She seriously thought she was awesome. Here she is doing her famous version of Mozart:

It makes me laugh every time.

• 1Solidarity
Hey, a-c-i-d-f-l-y.

We are discussing very difficult singing stuff, and a great movie, and a sick part of it.

So you gonna eye-roll I brought up a very relevant Mozart aria. Boss move, bold. And what's nice is, you don't really have anything to add. You. Just. Eye. Roll.

Did you, you fucking little midget, even listen to the clips before you eye rolled? CAN you?

Sometimes you people get real predictable, and really special avatar color man who the fuck are you?

You, sir, are Heather. I can be an asshole and low rent board trash, but I will give you another chance. But if you want to be a dick, that really does not bother me you know. You don't have much of one. During our weekly therapy sessions your dad said, it has always haunted him. He suspects your mom was having an affair with the delivery boy from Ching Fat's.

You shouldn't have to learn this here, I know. But your parents are both way too pussy to deal with you, and frankly, they wish you would move the fuck out already.

Jesus christ you people think this is a game? You have no idea.

• 1Garbage

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
No, there has simply never been someone born with vocal chords both long and loose enough to hit the lowest of notes, and with the ability to be tight and narrow enough to hit the highest notes. There are simply limitations on what the human voice is capable of. Practice can extend one's range somewhat, but you're essentially stuck with the vocal range that genetics gave you. You don't hear of operatic coloratura sopranos deciding they want to be a contralto and changing to that because they just don't have the correct range for it.
I would have liked to see King Diamond take a run at it in his prime! If you know what my avatar is, you know he's my favorite.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Again, this isn't really about range... it's about agility and accuracy. I've met plenty of bass singers that can sing higher notes than a lot of sopranos but they are useless in that range for anything with speed + leaps.

The difference between what you hear at 4:20 in that weird Russian striptease video and 3:53 in the Jane Zhang recording is, the first is ripped from the movie (it's vocoded flute or oboe) and the latter is a human trying to replicate the effect. Different mechanics at play. If you need to produce a new note on a flute you lift or press down a few fingers; it's near instantaneous and you can anticipate to counter most of the delay. The mechanical equivalent for voice is squeezing or relaxing grip on a giant water bottle while blowing across the top, ie. many muscles at play that have to land perfectly in place.

This is getting way off topic so I'll just say;
1) The Fifth Element is awesome.
2) I don't get Cara Delevigne. She's in everything (sci-fi, fantasy shows, comic book movies, Fiona Apple songs) and she serves no purpose. Why are people fascinated by English women with thick eyebrows?

• 1Splash the Pot
  • 1Worf