The Fifth Element (1997)

Fucker

Log Wizard
Again, this isn't really about range... it's about agility and accuracy. I've met plenty of bass singers that can sing higher notes than a lot of sopranos but they are useless in that range for anything with speed + leaps.

The difference between what you hear at 4:20 in that weird Russian striptease video and 3:53 in the Jane Zhang recording is, the first is ripped from the movie (it's vocoded flute or oboe) and the latter is a human trying to replicate the effect. Different mechanics at play. If you need to produce a new note on a flute you lift or press down a few fingers; it's near instantaneous and you can anticipate to counter most of the delay. The mechanical equivalent for voice is squeezing or relaxing grip on a giant water bottle while blowing across the top, ie. many muscles at play that have to land perfectly in place.

This is getting way off topic so I'll just say;
1) The Fifth Element is awesome.
2) I don't get Cara Delevigne. She's in everything (sci-fi, fantasy shows, comic book movies, Fiona Apple songs) and she serves no purpose. Why are people fascinated by English women with thick eyebrows?
Not english, but thick eyebrows can look marvelous.

lily-collins.jpg
ouy.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum

Sci-fi flying taxi chase with an Algerian folk song singer as background music, anything goes in this classic!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I like a lot of what Phil Collins has done but that is definitely his best work.

EDIT: And by proxy she is a little bit English.
Smart as a whip, too. She used to write technology articles for a national mag when she was a teen.

Cybsled

2) I don't get Cara Delevigne. She's in everything (sci-fi, fantasy shows, comic book movies, Fiona Apple songs) and she serves no purpose. Why are people fascinated by English women with thick eyebrows?

Watch some specific scenes of her in Carnival Row and you'll find a new appreciation for her ;)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
xmas is over, we don't have to get reminded of her for another 8months

mariah-05.jpeg
Yet nobody gets that reaction over George Michael`s "Last Christmas". Even funnier, that song wasnt really that played out when it was released 35 years ago. Or anytime after. Feliz navidad and that bruce springsteen santa claus song however. Those give me PTSD.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yet nobody gets that reaction over George Michael`s "Last Christmas". Even funnier, that song wasnt really that played out when it was released 35 years ago. Or anytime after. Feliz navidad and that bruce springsteen santa claus song however. Those give me PTSD.
i hate "last xmas" for purely asian reasons, in college everytime we went out to karoke, the same friend would always play and sing this song, like it was his jam.

I still recommend listening that aria, Der Holle Rache.It's classic example of totally real, non-fake tone leaping like in this performance.

And, Natalie Dessay could sing that piece, fast, for just a few years reliably. The recording I linked above is the bomb. Her tempo is the fastest I know of, and it's just amazing.

Mozart, like this movie, is why life is beautiful.

So there.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
xmas is over, we don't have to get reminded of her for another 8months

mariah-05.jpeg

Man i had to look it up. In the US alone supposedly she makes 2.6 million a year from royalties for that song.

That’s insane. Imagine making almost three mill a year doing nothing. Like she sits there and gets fatter and jsut gets 2.6 mil a year put in her account. And that’s only from that one song. Man!!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i hate "last xmas" for purely asian reasons, in college everytime we went out to karoke, the same friend would always play and sing this song, like it was his jam.
its a good song if you can do it justice. lots of people cant hit his highs and they fail the song. in the end you just let George Michael be George Michael. you should have convinced your friend to karaoke something like jingle bells.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I would have liked to see King Diamond take a run at it in his prime! If you know what my avatar is, you know he's my favorite.

That was a good dive for me. The live performances especially. Good tunes.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That was a good dive for me. The live performances especially. Good tunes.
if you ever get bored, just toss "The Eye" and "Them" from King Diamond on. both tell stories and there are some awesome songs on there.

-edit
and of course i just had to throw both on after thinking about it. i love that shit. it never got old. so corny yet so killer.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
if you ever get bored, just toss "The Eye" and "Them" from King Diamond on. both tell stories and there are some awesome songs on there.

-edit
and of course i just had to throw both on after thinking about it. i love that shit. it never got old. so corny yet so killer.
Most of his albums tell stories. Even his first solo album, Fatal Portrait, has several songs in a row that make up a story. Abigail is another fantastic one, although Them is probably my favorite overall.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Most of his albums tell stories. Even his first solo album, Fatal Portrait, has several songs in a row that make up a story. Abigail is another fantastic one, although Them is probably my favorite overall.
Yeah, i didnt mean to insinuate the rest dont tell a story, saying that those do so its something you can toss on and listen from start to finish. Abigail is crazy good too. I put that on last night too. Metal blade records has all king diamond and mercyful fate albums uploaded on their yt channel. Why they would do that is unsure.

• 1Like