The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No point in trying to kill the first wall anymore, they removed the Demonsbane and replaced it with a Scathe Mote.

But yeah, stuff like that, some hunts, and most esper/boss fights are still pretty hard even with two boards and an optimized team.

Noodleface Noodleface For Garuda, you use the Eksir berries on it to remove the enrage. Or just pop a Quickening chain and skip the mechanic.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I didn't remember Garuda being hard at all. Didn't use the berries

My biggest problem is I only have enough Gil to buy like 2 new weapons every time I get to a new merchant. Most of my party is using garbage armor.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I didn't remember Garuda being hard at all. Didn't use the berries

My biggest problem is I only have enough Gil to buy like 2 new weapons every time I get to a new merchant. Most of my party is using garbage armor.
She wasn't hard, but she hit hard as fuck

Vorph

I think I've only bought like two weapons ever and zero armor at all. For some reason staff and rod upgrades usually don't exist in chests. Everything else I get from farming chests, it barely takes any time at all with 4x speed and only having to zone once to respawn them in IZJS/TZA.

You need an ungodly amount of gil for certain bazaar items--monographs at the very beginning of the game, then endgame weapons tend to be extremely expensive. That's the one thing I might use trials for, you can farm diamond armlets in the first stage and they sell for 6k each.

Remember that once you finish Tomb of Raithwall you can access the northern part of Estersand (past the ferry, provided you've done one of the easy hunts), which has a ton of good weapons and armor in chests. The stuff is way better than anything you can buy from vendors at that point in the story. You can also get the key to the rest of Barheim Passage in the same spot where the ferry is located. I suggest looking up the side quest (Patient in the Desert) so you don't fuck it up though, because you get a shitty reward in place of one of your golden amulets if you don't do it perfectly.

Another tip a lot of people probably overlook is that Larsa has Shades of Black, but no gambits set up to use it. It's ridiculously powerful since it can choose literally any BLM spell; when Scathe goes off, just about everything dies. I used it for a long time on my main characters too, and still use it vs. fliers since Telekinesis isn't available until pretty late in the game.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Totally forgot about 4x speed. I feel super underleveled (lv14 at raithwall) so I might run around on full gambits right outside

Vorph

Yeah, Garuda boss was L16 so you're a bit low. I think I was more like 18-20 on my characters.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wasn't even rushing. It's ok, right before Garuda is a big area to explore anyways. I'll just go superspeed while they grind

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Honestly it's a better overall time investment to just go until you hit a wall and then grind if needed for a bit.

Fadaar

That guy
One of the best spots I've found to farm money not too far into the game is the beginning of Golmore Jungle. Get a streak going on the Panther enemies (there's a good 8-10 of them in the spot I have highlighted on the attached map) and they'll drop 3-4 items at a time worth like 400+gil apiece. Even better, the Ozmone Plains sub-zone you retreat to is a tiny little zone that you can abuse the two-zone-line-force-repop mechanic. If you're strong enough on 4x you can just burn through a few dozen of the panthers in a matter of minutes.

golmore jungle.jpg

ozmone plains.jpg

Last edited:

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I farmed bogeys in zert caves at 29 got an iga blade and killed bomb king, just remembered this game has quickenings, probably couldve used those instead of wiping for an hour to him lol

Vorph

Vrscika (133 attack ultimate weapon for Foebreaker) and Ame-no-Murakumo (96 attack wind element katana for Bushi) can be gotten really early too if you go exploring after each stage of the main story. From the bazaar too, so they're a lot easier than chasing an extremely rare drop. You do need monographs and/or Poach for the hammer though. The katana is trivial once you get the Barheim key.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Bomb King is meant to remind you to use quickenings to bypass certain mechanics (a key thing for certain harder bosses/hunts), but if you just want to plain power him down, its pretty trivial to have 80-100 attack weapons by that point, just remember to slot in gear that pumps STR at the same time to get the most out of it. Fran has been absolutely brutal as a Foebreaker with the easy as shit axes you get, combined with the passives from the archer class, for example. Also, if you have a Monk/Black Mage worked up with 80ish magic power, they can rape the bomb king with elemental spells like you would not believe. But honestly, one or two trips into trial mode gets you enough of a boost to make grinding unneeded, if you don't mind breaking the game a bit. I would at least do it for the rare item armband, if nothing else (and a couple shell shields/sword of kings).

Right now, I am right before the point of chasing Cid to the second fight with him in the story, but have been wrapping up hunts and other side quests. I'm probably too crappy to tackle Zeremus yet, but I think I can nail Chaos with my current party, if I can remember where to find the Telekinesis Technique. I plowed through the two run up fights fairly effortlessly and can basically autopilot through the Necrohol at my L44.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the process of downloading FF12 Zodiac Age now; probably one of my favorites from a gameplay standpoint while one of the most head scratching stories out of the entire lineup. The reasoning behind that has been gone over at least a half-dozen times over the years, but it really culminates w/ the Occuria and the immediate "Ok, lets ignore that shit and just do stuff we know doesn't matter because WEIRD SPACE GODS ARE CONTROLLING OUR FATES but we are conveniently just not going to address that shit."

I didn't spend a lot of time in the IZJS version (played through and just beat the game; didn't cap out hunts or kill Yiazmat) so my memory might be a bit lax, but is having the second job a new thing? I am pretty sure I just remember having the choices near the start and then riding that shit till the end. Cool stuff though.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Playing this a bit differently now than last. No real money issues anymore. Gambits are set up to auto steal from the two team members I don't control. Might not be the best steal setup, but works.
Foe HP= 100% steal
Foe target by party leader = attack
then one person has
Foe HP critical = poach

Both party members with steal (have 4 with steal, so they rotate as I change party setups to keep all of them equal level) also have thief cuffs equipped. I just run up to mobs, party steal, then I target the mob and they attack. Downside being that they just keep stealing if I don't have a target or get a status effect on me that drops my target.

Also did 4 runs (take about 1 hour with 2x speed) in the golmore jungle (spot marked in the first image in the post from Fadaar) and got 99x of the skin that sells for 400g and bought all the monographs when I first got access to the jungle. With the above setup you get 30+ pelts per run (4 usually spawn in middle, 4 to the left and 4-6 to the right). The jungle respawns if you run out past the save crystal and just turn back again. Takes about 15 minutes to earn 45k (99 pelts), so 3-4 runs will let you buy all monographs (just run to Jahar and sell). Takes shorter at 4x, but I couldn't go past 2x at the level I was there due to the packs of 4 mobs at once sometimes could be troublesome, and I usually ran out and hit the save crystal if they hit me with petrify.

Since I got that early, I've had enough things to sell to get every item I've wanted since then.

Below are the monograph requirements which are easy to get from basically the very start of the game. Money for them will take ages if you just play normally and also buy other things, but recommend just getting them out of the way once you reach Jahar.

Hunter's Monograph Beasts and Avions Complete the Thextera Hunt, then speak to the merchant Gatsly at Muthru Bazaar. 18,000 gil
Possession of this text enables the acquisition of superior loot from beasts and avions.

Knight's Monograph Giants and Insects Talk to the owner of a weapons shop 30 times. 19,000 gil
Possession of this text enables the acquisition of superior loot from giants and insects.

Mage's Monograph Fiends, including Ichthians Talk to the owner of a magick shop 25 times. 21,000 gil
Possession of this text enables the acquisition of superior loot from fiends.

Dragoon's Monograph Dragons and Plants Check the Hunt board 40 times. 22,000 gil
Possession of this text enables the acquisition of superior loot from dragons and plants.

Sage's Monograph Elementals Talk to the owner of any shop 100 times. 25,000 gil
Possession of this text enables the acquisition of superior loot from elementals.

Warmage's Monograph Amorphs and Undead Check the Hunt board 20 times. 20,000 gil
Possession of this text enables the acquisition of superior loot from amorphs and undead.

Scholar's Monograph Constructs Talk to the owner of an armor shop 15 times. 22,000 gil

EDIT: Are there items that increase the time I have for the quickenings? I usually get 10-12, but max I have gotten is 13. At that point the timer basically blinks and no time to rotate for mist charges. Not sure how to get the concurrences for the higher level ones, especially black hole that requires 4 of each of the quickenings. I guess start with the higher level quickenings and rotate for the mist early when the timer is longer and just pray to rng to get a mist charge and the lower level quickenings later?

Last edited:

Vorph

Poach gambit generally needs to be somewhere between 30-50% HP to be effective, depending on the level of the area compared to your team, but I'd keep that off 99% of the time anyway since poaching takes your XP/LP/normal loot. Only thing I've bothered poaching so far is Charged Gizzards for Vrscika (which was a huge pain in the ass and I ended up at gold-tier chain before getting a single one from a kill or poach) and Demon Feathers (which are an easy poach since they are the 95% item).

No way to extend quickening time. You need to be super fast picking them even when the gauge is slow, because the time you use there still counts against you for the next one. And yeah, if you're going for a high level concurrence always start with a 3-mist because mist charge option is wasted if it doesn't get to recover the full amount.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the IZJS version (played through and just beat the game; didn't cap out hunts or kill Yiazmat) so my memory might be a bit lax, but is having the second job a new thing? I am pretty sure I just remember having the choices near the start and then riding that shit till the end. Cool stuff though.
Yeah, two boards is new. If you go a page or so back there's a spoilered post I made listing all the changes in TZA.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Before I bury myself into this game what's the best jobs choices or it doesn't matter?

Nola

Trakanon Raider