The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know if I agree with female mages, what's the argument for that?

Just got to tiamat, I'm not very far in. But my party raped him in the ass. Summons seem absurdly strong

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I don't know if I agree with female mages, what's the argument for that?

Just got to tiamat, I'm not very far in. But my party raped him in the ass. Summons seem absurdly strong
They have higher magic stat. Ashe can actually be most things since she has good stats all around, but males have faster combo speeds. Since your top Melee users will be using genji gloves, it makes men better melee classes

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Ashe/Penelo have the highest magic stat growth, though Fran's stats are the worst of the characters. In the end though it's a minor thing and nothing you would restart the game over or anything.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Found this that someone else made, it's the animation speed for combos, lower is better. It assumes that each animation has the same probability (no idea if that's true)

____________ | Vaan | Balthier | Fran | Basch | Ashe | Penelo
Unarmed_____ | .633 | __.633__ | .783 | .667_ | .600 | .900
Daggers_____ | .683 | __.500__ | .767 | .633_ | .533 | .717
Ninja Swords | .617 | __.500__ | .633 | .500_ | .583 | .500
Katanas_____ | .583 | __.500__ | .617 | .500_ | .667 | .717
1H Swords___ | .517 | __.500__ | .617 | .500_ | .600 | .667
Greatswords_ | .500 | __.550__ | .633 | .500_ | .633 | .667
Axes&Hammers | .750 | __.600__ | .683 | .500_ | .567 | .867
Poles_______ | .633 | __.733__ | .550 | .600_ | .850 | .700
Spears______ | .667 | __.600__ | .733 | .583_ | .617 | .850
Maces_______ | .500 | __.767__ | .733 | .500_ | .756 | .767

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's some min max shit. I kind of went in blind

My main party is

Ashe: dagger thing/white mage
Vaan: bushi/knight
Fran: Archer/foebreaker

I'm not sold on Fran yet so I may bring in someone else

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah it is, and you don't need to worry about it to beat any of the content in the game. But then again in order to take advantage of it all you have to do is select a person for each class that matches.

From what I understand, with end game gear it can be a like 10-20% damage difference of someone with a fast combo animation speed vs slow. But yeah it really doesn't matter because there's nothing in the game that you can't beat with pretty much any character and class combos

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yiazmat taking an extra hour or more would be kind of annoying though. If he's really not using all 6 characters, he should definitely make Basch or Balthier into a Bushi/Shikari and give him yagyu darkblade and black robes.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
How many jobs can each character have? I know you can have two active at one time but can I have more than two? Asking if I wanted to switch jobs on a certain character.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Can you unlearn them or your stuck with the ones you choose? I picked white mags for Penelope or whatever her name is but I rather have her something else. If not I'm still really early in the game so I can start over.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Can you unlearn them or your stuck with the ones you choose? I picked white mags for Penelope or whatever her name is but I rather have her something else. If not I'm still really early in the game so I can start over.
Penelo is pretty good as a white mage

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have penelo as whm/blm and although I don't use her all the time, she's great to bring in to blow up a boss and heal. I used her on mateus to make the fight a joke

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The exceptions to that are Fran makes a decent Gun or Axe class person and Vaan makes a top tier wizard. But generally, the whole woman nuke, man smack thing applies. Really, though, pairing a fast class with a slow class (total access to swiftness levels) is the main thing you need to concern yourself with. The only classes that are essential (and thus worth repeating) are White Mage and the Ninja class (forget the Japanese name in this), though having one Samurai is a must.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have penelo as whm/blm and although I don't use her all the time, she's great to bring in to blow up a boss and heal. I used her on mateus to make the fight a joke
WM/BM is fairly terrible, due to the lack of swiftness and HP ranks in their boards. You end up with a slow casting piece of tissue paper. I strongly suggest pairing white mage up with either Samurai or Ninja/Hunter (Makes a ridiculously good tank) to get the most out of the class. Black Mages pretty much do best when paired with Monk, since it gives you tons of HP, some healing magic, and monks are fairly solid in standard combat. Penelo makes a dynomite Monk/Black Mage and has great combo rates with the monk pole weapons, plus she comes with a basic heal instantly, so you can begin her as monk while having her be a viable healer her entire career. I like Ashe in the White Mage role, but honestly any character will make a decent ninja + White Mage character, since its just about abusing the evasion mechanic and spamming healing.

If you really want to have a full time wizard with no mele powers, Time Mage + Black Mage is a workable option, though magic attack will suffer a bit. Crossbows are really good in this version and access to heavy armor will get you through a couple fights where wizards tend to get mushed. Vaan or Fran make for good choices if you want to do that, but really anyone will work ok. I just think you need physical attack and some healing on each character if you want to do well on the later fights. Plus the best weapons in the game (katanas) for end game battles tend to have magic power affecting their damage output, which is why the Samurai + Knight combination is so potent.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fran: Archer/foebreaker

I'm not sold on Fran yet so I may bring in someone else

Once you get the better axes and armor, Fran starts rivaling the other DPS people. The random nature of Axes and lifting of the 10k damage cap make it a great option against high defense enemies and the one area where Fran dominates is the Vitality stat. That stat pumps axe and hammer damage and affects resistance rates to the numerous status cornholes the game starts raining down around the halfway mark. Bows are just something you use until that point or to avoid mass damage from AE spam fights. About the point that Cura stops being enough is when Axes get good for her and she shifts from being a healing bow person into an offtank potion jockey type. At least in that class setup.

The Ashe WM/Ninja combo is awesome and I highly recommend it. One word of advice, always keep a Main Gauche in your inventory. With it and a decent shield, you can reach 75 mele evade pretty damn early in the game which will make tanking mele bosses really easy, even if they go into rape mode. Eventually, with the dodge amulet thing and Demon Shield (I think) you will hit 90 evade and she can pretty much face tank stuff like Gilgamesh or the Behemoth King fairly reliably. And because she is doing most of the healing and knows the protect buff spell, she will be generating most of the agro even when Lure drops mid fight. If you set her up like that, you can pretty much fuck around with the other characters however you want and still deal with most of the fights in the game. I've been using that setup all game and its just ridiculous how much abuse she can take.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I get why people did not like 8, though I personally liked the story. The good news is if you skip the optional bullshit and do a little grinding on Hell Island, you can blow right through the game fairly quickly. Its only a long game if you try to nab all of the optional shit or fuck around with the card game.

I personally rate the core FFs in four tiers of quality-
God Tier- FF4, FF6, FF12
Good Tier- FF5, FF7, FF10, FF9
Average Tier- FF8, FF1, FF3
Shit Tier- FF15, FF13, FF2

Its a matter of personal taste for most people, of course (I happen to be more meh on 7 than most and like 8 more than most), but generally people find the games along those lines. But really, the SNES era is where the series really came together with great music and story. FF7 is where the faggottry slowly started creeping in, reaching critical mass at FF13. Playing the re-mastered FF12 is just reinforcing my opinion, especially since I was at that point in my grand replay of the entire series (been burning through them on the tablet/emulators during travel) anyhow. I won't be replaying anything past FF12 and I really hope the re-mastered Tactics Ogre finds its way to the PS4 at some point, since all Square seems to know how to succeed at these days is updating their old good games.

I really felt like I was the only person in the world that felt this way.. lol. Honestly, I feel FF4 is the best FF to be made with FF6 coming in at second. I believe most people would give a nod to 6. FF has kind of a EQ/MMO story in terms of popularity. I think your true FF/RPG gamer locked into FF4/6 and when word of mouth and popularity grew, it hit a lot of new gamers with the release of 7. I honestly felt 7 was the beginning of the loss of focus of Square. These characters and settings continue to drift further from the "Fantasy" aspect of Final Fantasy. I guess i'm more of a sucker for high fantasy and believe there should be Dark Knights, Dragoons, Callers, and mages in FF. I would give anything if they would revisit that world. I think that is also why I enjoyed FF12 so much as I felt it captured the FF world as I think it should be. Shame its such a heavy grind and I can't break away from Agnarr.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users