The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I appreciate the knowledge you're dropping phazeal. According to it I've fucked my characters, but if I'm honest I went in blind on purpose. Still love the game

Needless

Toe Sucker
This man has thought these builds through, shieeet.

my main team is pretty shitty now:

Ashe: Samurai/BLM
Basch: Archer/Machinist
Fran: Foebreaker/Red mage

I was just using Basch to heal via potion lore etc but i burn through them so quickly now, penelo is my underleveled WHM/Uhlan so i'll probably have to swap her in for Basch now lol

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only classes that are essential (and thus worth repeating) are White Mage and the Ninja class (forget the Japanese name in this), though having one Samurai is a must.
I'd say Bushi is the class most worth repeating. If I was going to start a new game not caring about using all 12 jobs, I'd probably go with Knight/Bushi (main party), Shikari/Bushi (Yiazmat killer, can replace Bushi/Monk most of the time), Red Mage/Archer (Oil/Burning Bow/Ardor cheese when it works, plus consumable-only fights), Bushi/Monk (main party), White Mage/Time Mage (main party), and Black Mage/Monk (whenever magic needed).

Only downside there is a WHM/TBM has fuck-all for HP. 230/270/310 are esper only and 270 is probably the only justifiable one to give her. 350 and beyond are a big nope. Even with bubble up all the time it'd still be a pathetic amount.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I don't know why you can't switch licenses or reset them for another one. Maybe in a future patch it may be implemented into the game. I found a video where the guy said the best thing to do is not to pick a license until you acquired all the characters which is probably 12 hours into the game. Once you have them all create a master save file and then pick which combination you want and just start over from that save if you're not satisfied with it.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This man has thought these builds through, shieeet.

my main team is pretty shitty now:

Ashe: Samurai/BLM
Basch: Archer/Machinist
Fran: Foebreaker/Red mage

I was just using Basch to heal via potion lore etc but i burn through them so quickly now, penelo is my underleveled WHM/Uhlan so i'll probably have to swap her in for Basch now lol
Oh you done fucked up. FUCKED. UP.

game unbeatable

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I don't even remember what I'm doing in the main quest anymore. I just got the black sky pirate dude as a guest and decided that it would be a good time to do hunts, side quests, and esper hunting. Ran through Necrohol and looks like I need some keys to get by a couple of doors

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I fucking knew it, deleting all save data brb

To be fair, you can just grind up levels and beat the main game and even most of the hunts perfectly fine with just about anything (all machinist archer party would be the one that might be intolerably bad), but you are not going to beat some of the fights without some at least slightly optimized builds. I happen to feel that each character needs three things: access to all three levels of swiftness, workable healing (preferably AE white magic heals), and some form of weapon damage output. Fortunately in this version, the last is pretty easy to do (every class has access to one really high powered weapon that suits its stats), just the Genji Glove Masamune guys is going to outpace everyone else. A filthy casual not wanting to spend forever grinding is going to find Ninja Swords to be more available than katanas, however. If you don't care bout killing Yiz or completing all of the Epers and Hunts, you will be fine no matter what you pick. The optimizing is mainly for people who want to knock out everything, but don't want to spend forever grinding to do it.

Truth is they made this version easier than the original US release to accommodate that. I think people just dislike (and reasonably so) having to make blind choices that they are locked into so early in the game. I also am bummed about not really caring about Job Points since about a third way through the game, but that's on me for grinding a little in trial mode. But on the flip side I am one shotting things like Behemoth King and Gilgamesh without having to do any special bullshit. Honestly Zeremus has been the biggest road block for me, since I only have two dedicated potion jockeys and that fight revolves around them.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't even remember what I'm doing in the main quest anymore. I just got the black sky pirate dude as a guest and decided that it would be a good time to do hunts, side quests, and esper hunting. Ran through Necrohol and looks like I need some keys to get by a couple of doors

That's a really major pain in the ass quest that is basically entirely in Rabanastre. The process for getting it is obscure as shit, so if you don't feel like wandering all over town trying to figure it out, I suggest looking up "how to access the Chaos fight" in the faq. Chaos is a pretty big pain in the ass to beat, though maybe not at the point you are at, but he opens up some great spots on the license board. Also, you get the Gold Axe on the way to unlocking the fight, which is a clutch Foe Breaker weapon. I was under leveled and a bit undergeared when I fought him (can't find fucking telekinesis for some reason), but I cheesed past that fight by flushing 200k gil down the crapper with gil toss.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's a really major pain in the ass quest that is basically entirely in Rabanastre. The process for getting it is obscure as shit, so if you don't feel like wandering all over town trying to figure it out, I suggest looking up "how to access the Chaos fight" in the faq. Chaos is a pretty big pain in the ass to beat, though maybe not at the point you are at, but he opens up some great spots on the license board. Also, you get the Gold Axe on the way to unlocking the fight, which is a clutch Foe Breaker weapon. I was under leveled and a bit undergeared when I fought him (can't find fucking telekinesis for some reason), but I cheesed past that fight by flushing 200k gil down the crapper with gil toss.
I found telekenisis, it was definitely not in Necrohol. Was a chest in the middle of the path in the Steppe zone somewhere, don't remember where.

What level were you? My 3 main characters are mid 50, and others are mid 30s still.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have everyone at around 54 right now (I swap characters a lot to suit certain fights, so I keep them all leveled). I have all hunts done, including the Behemoth King. I am doing the tower with Reddas in the party right now. I have all the espers I can, except Zeremus (waiting on a few more levels first) and most of the end game gear acquired, or at least one piece of each. Oddly enough, I am missing the haste spells and TK, plus a few other spells that I should have nabbed by now, but I pretty much stick to heal tank with the occasional Shock Spam, so I have not terribly needed them to this point. Chewing through the hunts as early as I could really overpowered my party a lot, particularly taking down the rare hunts and Aldremech. I probably should be XPing off the L90 bats in the back entrance to the mines, but I want to advance the story past the Cid battle first. Also, I don't have any duplicate classes so I have no real incentive to get the rare game trophies, except if I want a second Genji Glove at some point. Might also try to spawn the Seingret Bow at some point to fuck around with it, but I hear that breaks the game. Maybe I will get one for the Yiazmat fight to make it take less than a year?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Chest 101 in Cerobi Steppe is Telekinesis. It's right at the zoneline back to Tchita Uplands.
58247.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I found bomb King and it wasn't until like attempt 8 I figured that wasn't the way to go. Almost killed him too, had a sliver of health left

Fadaar

That guy
I killed Bomb King and felt all big and bad. Zoned into Nabudis. Immediate. Fucking. Regret. I got double fisted like a sock puppet.

Also ran the infinite LP farm glitch in the Henne Mines overnight. 5000 LP on non-double gain characters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thanks for the tip Vorph. I am going on knowledge from the PS2 game and they re-arranged a bunch of shit from where I am used to it being. The removal of key spells from the vendors in the end game is kind of frustrating, but I got the ones I mainly needed. Unfortunately it looks like if I want to kill Yaizmat I am going to have to live in that fucking crystal place for a while.

Anyhow, knocked off Hellwyrm today with a steady tactic that cost me no items. Ashe the super tank made it easy for Basch for rape it. So I am down to the last two Espers (Ultima and Zodiark), whom I can probably beat now and Yaizmat that I need to do some farming for. Not sure if I feel like going through the bullshit or not, but I am going to wander around the Great Crystal and see how the Ultima fight goes before deciding if I am too annoyed to try it or not. To be fair, the Hellwyrm and Yaizmat fights are actually fun, since they do not have gimmicky bullshit or never ending status rape horse shit like most of the later esper and hunt battles. Basch the Sam/Knight Masamune wielding rape machine is probably my best DPS person, but with the way the damage mechanics work, Fran the Breaker/Archer w Gold Axe is not terribly far off when she wears the Genji Glove. Guess I should farm another one of those first...... So glad I picked Gilgamesh clean on the first attempt.

For anyone playing this casually, don't feel like you have to do anything more than the 44 hunts prior to Yaizmat and maybe 8 of the espers, tops. If you are at that point, the end of the game is a snap and the stuff past that point is really for us OCDers (and Asians) anyhow.

God I missed this fucking game....

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
Who should i give the hunt club trophies to? Atak Blok or Stok? I guess Stok because of the Ribbon?

I never did the rare game/ hunt club side shit on my previous runs of this game. But I want to try for the platinum and they're all trophy connected so this is new to me.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would say, look at a cheat site on whats available and go from there. In all honesty, weapons are generally the bigger pain in the ass to farm in this game (Ribbons aside). In prior plays I dumped everything into Atak, except one each for the other guys, as this unlocks most of the uber weapons (including the Zodiac Spear). In every play I have done, including this one, I have had ample armor for my team, however. You should really look at your party and determine where you need to double up on key pieces of rare gear, based on class composition, and go from there. There is a pretty good Wiki for this game that covers even the new versions that I have checked for stuff like this and the bazaar.