The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

Cloud sucks because he has no reason to be what he is... its in line will DragonBall Z that pure sayians are powerful but halfbreeds and quarter breeds with humans are somehow SUPER-ER-ER BETTERER - the first 3 where more Jhenova than Cloud and Zack - hell cloud and zack where accident "hey lets test out the cheap version"

7, by itself, dropped the ball in plot because it does not solidly lay out the situation with Cloud and Zack - not even from external characters THAT SHOULD KNOW... Tifa et al just let Cloud keep on acting like a zacktard because...reasons... Yeah we kind of understand, anything with Jhenova cells is linked and kind of all sorts of mental case- Seheroth could control cloud because of this, and because he was "more" jhenova and cloud...but reasons...why that didnt happen after it was needed to happen for plot.

Honestly I do not think they knew the entire plot when they finished the game, if what was said above about the primary writer going bonkers and then the rest was done by committee - it make sense.

7 only works if you play Crisis Core then 7 then watch advent children and press stop after Spepheroth stabs Cloud a billion times and the is bleeding out all over.

7 gets props for why WOW gets props over EQ...

We all know EQ is better than WOW, we all know 4 and 6 are better than 7 -- but 7 (and wow) brought in tons and tons and TONS of people into the genera that NEVER would have touched the game(s) before.

8 sucks all around...stop...it sucks, leave it alone let it die

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 2 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The plot in 7 is solid minus a few points; it definitely lays out reasons why Cloud wants to end Sephiroth, and why Sephiroth is the main big bad, and why Tifa is so clingy.

8, 13, and to a slightly lesser extent 15, all sort of just throw the last boss and reasoning at you in the last tiny ass portion of the game. Sephiroth was a villain from disc one onwards.

And my biggest and only real pet peeve with 9... the last boss is literally only referenced when you fight... the last boss. Absolutely dumb.

But regardless, 8 had so much wrong with it that it belongs in the bottom 3 of the series; the story was a massively jumbled fuckwad that they tried to incorporate some weird time-dilation concepts into but failed miserably. Just the worst... after FF2.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya, I kinda went, o wait Necron ?

In Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania — File 1: Character Book, Necron is described as, "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach".

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The early games on iOS are on sale right now
Probably going to pick up 6 and 4

Last edited:

joz123

Potato del Grande
Fuck the great crystal. Retarded fucking dungeon. If i didnt want shellga and hastega i would leave it immediately. It wouldnt be so bad if there wasnt those fucking necrophobes everywhere that insta kill you.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Finally beat 13 after however many years. Game was tedious until chapter 11 where it opened up but by that point I was over it and wanted it to be done with. I dug the battle system, but by the end of the game, the mobs had way too much HP and stagger resistance and just become more fucking annoying than anything. I actually dug the story/world they built and got 13-2 on PC but holy fuck, what a terrible port. I can get it to play without crashing but it runs like shit. PS3 is bricked so only way I can.

Beat 15 also and it was definitely rushed at the end. If given the chance to flesh out the final handful of chapters, I think I would like the story more. Ultimately, all I really cared about were the main 4 and I think they nailed the representation of their friendship; I genuinely cared about Noctis, Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis. Despite the obvious flaws in the game, I really fucking liked 15 and was bummed when it was over.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Cloud sucks because he has no reason to be what he is... its in line will DragonBall Z that pure sayians are powerful but halfbreeds and quarter breeds with humans are somehow SUPER-ER-ER BETTERER - the first 3 where more Jhenova than Cloud and Zack - hell cloud and zack where accident "hey lets test out the cheap version"

7, by itself, dropped the ball in plot because it does not solidly lay out the situation with Cloud and Zack - not even from external characters THAT SHOULD KNOW... Tifa et al just let Cloud keep on acting like a zacktard because...reasons... Yeah we kind of understand, anything with Jhenova cells is linked and kind of all sorts of mental case- Seheroth could control cloud because of this, and because he was "more" jhenova and cloud...but reasons...why that didnt happen after it was needed to happen for plot.

Honestly I do not think they knew the entire plot when they finished the game, if what was said above about the primary writer going bonkers and then the rest was done by committee - it make sense.

7 only works if you play Crisis Core then 7 then watch advent children and press stop after Spepheroth stabs Cloud a billion times and the is bleeding out all over.

7 gets props for why WOW gets props over EQ...

We all know EQ is better than WOW, we all know 4 and 6 are better than 7 -- but 7 (and wow) brought in tons and tons and TONS of people into the genera that NEVER would have touched the game(s) before.

8 sucks all around...stop...it sucks, leave it alone let it die

If you go into Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim after Cloud get's his memories back, there is a secret flashback in the basement which shows the Zack/Cloud backstory which is retold in Crisis Core. There are other secret scenes in Gongaga with Zack's parents.

Final Fantasy 8 is fucking great.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
If you go into Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim after Cloud get's his memories back, there is a secret flashback in the basement which shows the Zack/Cloud backstory which is retold in Crisis Core. There are other secret scenes in Gongaga with Zack's parents.

Final Fantasy 8 is fucking great.

8 was the shit and it was rad finding ways to cheese the junction system. The last parts of the game were super easy, for better or for worse, by just using no-encounter and walking around the Island Closest to Heaven/Hell and getting a bunch of Auras and having Squall overdrive/limit/whatever it was called everything.

At the very least, 8 had the best battle theme.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fuck the great crystal. Retarded fucking dungeon. If i didnt want shellga and hastega i would leave it immediately. It wouldnt be so bad if there wasnt those fucking necrophobes everywhere that insta kill you.

They were annoying, but if you have decent gambit set up they are a great source of drops and XP to chain together. But yeah, that place was my least favorite part of the game, but mostly due to the maze layout and timed portals.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
8 was the shit and it was rad finding ways to cheese the junction system. The last parts of the game were super easy, for better or for worse, by just using no-encounter and walking around the Island Closest to Heaven/Hell and getting a bunch of Auras and having Squall overdrive/limit/whatever it was called everything.

At the very least, 8 had the best battle theme.

8 also had arguably the most challenging final boss (it was possible to set up your characters wrong or not unlock the right commands and make the entire end unwinnable after the PONR), but I think the single hardest fight in any game has to be the Dark Aeons in FF10 or the FF5 version of Omega. Honorable mention for the War Mechs in FF1, who were ludicrously tough optional wandering monsters.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
8 also had arguably the most challenging final boss (it was possible to set up your characters wrong or not unlock the right commands and make the entire end unwinnable after the PONR), but I think the single hardest fight in any game has to be the Dark Aeons in FF10 or the FF5 version of Omega. Honorable mention for the War Mechs in FF1, who were ludicrously tough optional wandering monsters.

A close friend got screwed on the disc change fight with Adel in the way you mention. Could definitely see how FF8 endgame could be unwinnable

Just got X/X2 HD on PS4 on going to try for all the Dark Aeons. Haven't played X since original release and I forgot how much I hated Blitzball; it's such a pain in the ass

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya blitzball sucks *barf*

I also ran into the Adel bug on 8, I was always very paranoid about it back then,(had issue's with 7's disc swap system), so always had tons of backup saves

Molten Core Raider
Figure this thread is as good of a spot for this as anywhere.

The Dissidia Final Fantasy NT fighting game started a week long beta test on the Playstation 4 this weekend (runs until Sunday Sept 3rd) and I ended up with two codes. Used one, here's the other if anyone here wants to try it out.

edit - code used, enjoy

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user