The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Haka

N00b
Just got a PS4.... last console I owned was a PS1 so it's been a while, but I always loved FF. I loved 1 6 7 and Tactics, and have played 10. I'm way out of date as to what newer FF's are good, and google leads to confusing results. Are there any must have games I need to get since 10?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just got a PS4.... last console I owned was a PS1 so it's been a while, but I always loved FF. I loved 1 6 7 and Tactics, and have played 10. I'm way out of date as to what newer FF's are good, and google leads to confusing results. Are there any must have games I need to get since 10?
FF9 remaster and FF12 remaster are both solid. They include the 4x speed feature as well as other perks to help.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
FF15 was great. The last couple chapters are pretty lousy but overall it was a solid experience. 4 bro's on a bachelor trip gone awry

• 2Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
12 is fantastic. Has the feel of a single player MMO which I really dug back when it came out. The remaster switches things up a bit with the job system but it is still a great game.

9 is sort of the last 'traditional' Final Fantasy in the medieval sense as there really isn't much of any sci-fi elements in it. Haven't played it since way back on PS1 so maybe I'm forgetting some part. Really good game, regardless, with some phenomenal music.

I don't think SE has put 13, 13-2, or Lightning Returns on PS4 via download, but 13 is ehhh... interesting battle system, gorgeous graphics, but it can get really tedious as, outside of one chapter, you walk forward -> battle -> cutscene -> repeat for the entirety of the game. 13-2 apparently changed that up, but as the game is unplayable on PC and my PS3 is dead, I have no idea.

15 is polarizing. I loved it, despite some glaring flaws. The final chapters of the game are obviously rushed and the battle system can be a bit spammy, but I loved the world of the game and the relationship amongst the core 4 party members. I genuinely cared about them as characters and given they tend to be the focus of the game, it worked for me. I get why people really disliked it, but for this one I think it comes down to personal choice.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

If I had a PS4 I would do it.

FF9 like 6, actually has a "bad guy" that manages to actually DO wholesale destruction - Ahh I just spend 20-30min in this town and got to know the locals and its a cool little quest hub and some story development and character building OMG WTF BBQ THEY JUST BLEW IT THE FUCK UP

If they removed the walking sound, esp the armor dude CLANK CLANK CLANK from the new ff9, it would make the game much more pleasant :)

wonder how much used PS4s are now... maybe that will be my Christmas gift to myself.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If I had a PS4 I would do it.

FF9 like 6, actually has a "bad guy" that manages to actually DO wholesale destruction - Ahh I just spend 20-30min in this town and got to know the locals and its a cool little quest hub and some story development and character building OMG WTF BBQ THEY JUST BLEW IT THE FUCK UP

If they removed the walking sound, esp the armor dude CLANK CLANK CLANK from the new ff9, it would make the game much more pleasant :)

wonder how much used PS4s are now... maybe that will be my Christmas gift to myself.

Seeing the dude in 9 wipe out cities with bahamut, and whatever the void sucking summon was = epic. Though I'm not gonna lie, I actually named the knight Rusty for shits and giggles, as he'd constantly run around saying STOP CALLING ME RUSTY

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I thought the last chapter in FFXV was really good actually. The problem is the chapters leading into it once you lose the freedom of the overworld.

Even beyond those awful chapters there are still tons of flaws with the game, but I still liked it overall. Summons are awful, magic is pointless. There is almost no use for the king weapons or whatever they were called. The main plot doesn’t even make much sense, why are we searching for king weapons and espers when we don’t end up using them? Also load times are pretty ass.

Last edited:

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
I thought the last chapter in FFXV was really good actually. The problem is the chapters leading into it once you lose the freedom of the overworld.

Even beyond those awful chapters there are still tons of flaws with the game, but I still liked it overall. Summons are awful, magic is pointless. There is almost no use for the king weapons or whatever they were called. The main plot doesn’t even make much sense, why are we searching for king weapons and espers when we don’t end up using them? Also old times are pretty ass.

The last chapter was really good, I just wish that they would have given us a bit more time to learn about what was going on while we were away. I guess the mystique of it was cool enough, but I really wanted a bit more.

Siliconemelons

Ahh the devs and creators of bravely default... good good.

As long as they keep the battle system undercontrol I will be hyped- the mix massing required in BD perfect ending was beyond the scope of me giving 2 shots to try.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Picked up the FF9 remaster and I'm really enjoying it so far. My only complaint is the 8-way movement instead of analog like the original had. Makes moving around a lot of screens awkward, and shit like catching frogs much harder than it should be.

The trophies are a bit ridiculous too, seriously 1000 jump ropes in a row? Yeah won't be getting platinum on this one.

Game looks great though and is as fun as I remember it.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Can't be any worse than the lightning dodges in FF10

It's much worse, trust me. I've done the lightning bolts several times, there's a spot where lightning is guaranteed to strike so you can just run back and forth over that spot and be done in 10 minutes.

I can't be bothered but there's a script using RemotePlay + AutoHotKey for the jump ropes. Requires your PS4 and PC to both be connected to WiFi.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org...580-working-hail-king-script-version-ps4.html

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Comrades is out for FFXV, basically an entire new side game using the same system. There is no open world which is the downside, it's like monster hunter with instanced bounty hunts with up to 4 players online or you + 3 AI bros. The weapon customization and leveling scales way more complex and there is reportedly a NG+ with harder enemies and more powerful upgrade materials.

FFXV Comrades Cheat Sheet

edit: stat cheesing is occuring with 3/4 or 4/4 weapons being Yoshimitsu (elect the leader in Meldacio with the trading post, platinum ingot + reaperbone per trade. Meet the upgrade stat requirements (can farm Garchimacera Claws from The Baleful Bandersnatch for STR+MAG) and then spam Chrome Bits purchased from Meldacio all the way to level 99. Bit of a gill investment but each gives around 200 STR / 150 VIT per.

Min/max seems to be Behemoth Incisors and Dragon Horns with occasional other requirements being looked at. Monster Jaws and Octoeyes are not a bad thing to stock up on (also from The Baleful Bandersnatch). When making a real weapon it helps to wait until Cid shows up and gives you the 30% enhancement food (will give 20% at lower hunts)

Last edited: