The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Siliconemelons

Lol yeah, had to get shit to fix it, or prove your not finalfanatsy natiz's or somethinh like that.

I just hope I get past the tree in this playthrough of ff5 haha

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i started FFVX and turned it off after the tutorial

starting with a 15 minute boring ass tutorial has to be the worst start for any FF game ever, how did they not manage to integrate it beter?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can see not completing 8, but 7 is fairly epic. 6's entire ending section is pretty massive compared to others between 5 and 10, so I can see being daunted by that. 9 is confusing when you are at the final final boss, but 10's ending is really fun, and the battle is pretty rough. Best boss soundtrack I've run across, haha.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried to play 8, i really did but nope the BS leveling stuff and graphics turned me off completely. I played FF13 through once and only once, skipped the sequels.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is all the DLC out and has anyone played it enough to give a basic quality review? Looked ok but I've no intrest in getting content piecemeal. So I shelved the game after beating it til all the DLC was released.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Is all the DLC out and has anyone played it enough to give a basic quality review? Looked ok but I've no intrest in getting content piecemeal. So I shelved the game after beating it til all the DLC was released.

For 15? Nah bro, they just released Final Fantasy 15: Royal Edition. Which should have been DLC, but they packaged it as an all new edition so that the previous Season Pass didn't apply. For like $20 you can upgrade your old version to the new one, and i imagine a new season pass for season two.

I haven't tried any of it out, so idk. I bought 15 used a few months ago, almost bought the first season pass, but then they announced all that^ and I realized how much of a cash grab the franchise had become and I have barely picked up 15 since.

I did just finish my replay of FF7 tho. First time beating it this millenium!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I really want to replay FF1-FF13. I'm guessing most are can be replayed through mobile, or steam... any that require an emulator specifically (or the port/update is so bad it's not worth playing on mobile/steam)?
I'm willing to pay for them if possible.
Also I need controller recommendations (is the steam controller worthwhile? It's on a discount if I buy another steam game).

I'm on iOS, and can see there is a FF1-FF6 bundle (includes FF4-2), so I'll no doubt go with that unless something is horribly wrong with it.

sukik

For 15? Nah bro, they just released Final Fantasy 15: Royal Edition. Which should have been DLC, but they packaged it as an all new edition so that the previous Season Pass didn't apply. For like $20 you can upgrade your old version to the new one, and i imagine a new season pass for season two.

I haven't tried any of it out, so idk. I bought 15 used a few months ago, almost bought the first season pass, but then they announced all that^ and I realized how much of a cash grab the franchise had become and I have barely picked up 15 since.

I did just finish my replay of FF7 tho. First time beating it this millenium!
Thanks, I guess I'll keep waiting. Not like I'll have time to play it anyways since there's a bunch of good games out right now and later this year. I've 13-1 ready to go if I really want a FF fix.

Siliconemelons

change the thread title to (currently playing anything but ff15) because its a travesty somehow more so than the last few...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

change the thread title to (currently playing anything but ff15) because its a travesty somehow more so than the last few...
I wouldn't call it a travesty. I remember really liking the game minus what felt like some incomplete parts in the lead up to the final chapters. But everything else was pretty fun.

Siliconemelons

its a travesty in the fact that it was another main title Final Fantasy that fell far short of what it could have/should have for its HUGE time frame of development and huge huge huge investment as a company.

the number 15 was also an exciting thing as it was a "big number" in the roman numeral look and feel, not having extra I's or V's etc.

I, personally wrote the game off and was very dissapointed when they renamed it 15 from its spin off title vs or whatever it was.

Many were hoping that they would have kept the "not classic" stuff to their spinoff titles and relaunched the series with 15 as another big classic high fantasy game... but no

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really want to replay FF1-FF13. I'm guessing most are can be replayed through mobile, or steam... any that require an emulator specifically (or the port/update is so bad it's not worth playing on mobile/steam)?
I'm willing to pay for them if possible.
Also I need controller recommendations (is the steam controller worthwhile? It's on a discount if I buy another steam game).

I'm on iOS, and can see there is a FF1-FF6 bundle (includes FF4-2), so I'll no doubt go with that unless something is horribly wrong with it.

A couple Steam versions have significant game breaking bugs. Can't remember which off the top of my head. I think 3 and 9 at least? The reviews are pretty vocal about that stuff, so just check those.

I can vouch for 7, 8, and 10 on Steam.

1-6, Steam and iOS both use the updated character sprites, the updated sprites being a deal breaker for a lot of people. Look up screenshots first.

Siliconemelons

the sprites are too harshly "soft" they want "retro 16-bit style" yet they smoothed every corner and made it happy and polished- yet didnt just go all out and make it higher rez anime style 2d sprites..

they also redid all the textures, not just characters - one good thing is they added in corner rounding- so your character does not really get stuck on little corners or edges of rocks etc. as its nolonger a up down left right grid

Chris

Potato del Grande
I can see not completing 8, but 7 is fairly epic. 6's entire ending section is pretty massive compared to others between 5 and 10, so I can see being daunted by that. 9 is confusing when you are at the final final boss, but 10's ending is really fun, and the battle is pretty rough. Best boss soundtrack I've run across, haha.

I've beaten them all before. It's basically me planning on doing endgame stuff then it being too much and giving up. Except FF6 where I only have one party levelled and I can't be arsed getting no encounters items and backtracking to do all three sections with one group (which I did my first time around).

Stave

Potato del Grande
Finally beat it on PC. Can't bring myself to go drudge through the DLC or refinish some of the dungeons I missed. Game was great up until after Leviathan. Flew off the rails after that point imo. The city area near the end was so bad imo. Took me like a week to get myself to finish that part. Really wish they had fleshed out the second continent, as it seemed really interesting. I think they had much more intended for the game, and had to cut a lot, due to time constraints.

I really enjoyed the bro stuff, and roaming the world solving problems. The combat was annoying though. It never really put up any challenge, even on the boss fights. I never felt in danger, and never actually died once. KO'd a few times, but never dead. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. Probably an 8/10 for the first 2/3rds, and a 4/10 for the last 1/3rd.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
With 4 more DLC packs coming, one of them being Ardyn I'm hoping for more of the 2nd continent at least, another Noctis story though I'm kinda mehh. (unless it's his time in the crystal... but the MP stuff already answered some of those questions.) *shrug*

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally beat it on PC. Can't bring myself to go drudge through the DLC or refinish some of the dungeons I missed. Game was great up until after Leviathan. Flew off the rails after that point imo. The city area near the end was so bad imo. Took me like a week to get myself to finish that part. Really wish they had fleshed out the second continent, as it seemed really interesting. I think they had much more intended for the game, and had to cut a lot, due to time constraints.

I really enjoyed the bro stuff, and roaming the world solving problems. The combat was annoying though. It never really put up any challenge, even on the boss fights. I never felt in danger, and never actually died once. KO'd a few times, but never dead. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. Probably an 8/10 for the first 2/3rds, and a 4/10 for the last 1/3rd.

This was my impression. It felt like they poured their hearts out in those first two areas, and then looked up at the clock and saw that 4 years had gone by and went "OH SHIT" and then slapped together just enough in the rest of the planned areas to tell the story.... Which is my other point, but I honestly think that's just how this director (Tabata) rolls. His stories are just disjointed messes. He somehow thinks it has artistic merit to keep things purposefully vague and very limited (at least in Type 0 and XV and from what I have read of his other projects). I actually really liked the gameplay of XV, so we do differ on that front. But you could tell you got 2 of probably 10 planned zones and they tried to sell it that they had narrowed things down for the sake of the story. It wasn't bad at all, but I'm waiting for all the DLC to come out (they have 3 more planned for next year), and if it's cheap enough I may give it another shot.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta

this starts in a couple weeks. it's a charity event revolving around Final Fantasy 5. the main portion of the charity is a group of streamers doing the main The Run and accepting donations for Child's Play. but everyone gets to play along, they have a Twitter bot that will assign jobs to anyone that wants to participate, and if nothing else, you're at least helping the Twitter visibility of the charity event.

i haven't done it before, but FF5 is a wonderful game and Child's Play seems like a good charity. i will be playing this year. pre-registration has already started.

thought about starting a separate thread for this, but not sure how much interest there will be. would be fun for us to all do it as a group, tho! will start a thread if enough people chime in. :)

• 1Like