The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The only reason that people think Squall is emo, is because you hear his inner monologue. His actual dialogue is cold and disinterested rather than depressed and emo. You can't really call Squall emo, but love Terra and Celes because they essentially were the same.

• 2Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Squall starts off as many orphans would, being a loner that has come to learn how to rely only on himself and keeps people at an arms distance. The inner monologue stuff is there to take place of what he would be saying if he was a more outgoing person. If you actually play the game and pay attention to his character growth, you'll notice that the monologue goes away as he learns to embrace the friendships of his team and comes to open up emotionally. He starts off as cold, callous, and aloof, and ends up as a strong leader that is open and friendly. Shit, the last shot of him in the game is him finally smiling.

It's an incredibly good character growth story that gets really overshadowed by all of the weird bullshit the game puts into the plot.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I'm glad we can all agree IIIIIIII is the best FF now. Not only is Squall one of the best characters, all the others are better than most too. Oh and gunblades

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Pants on Fire!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm glad we can all agree IIIIIIII is the best FF now. Not only is Squall one of the best characters, all the others are better than most too. Oh and gunblades

Did you ever notice that you never actually load ammunition into the gunblade, or have to supply any? What are we to believe, that it's some sort of magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Did you ever notice that you never actually load ammunition into the gunblade, or have to supply any? What are we to believe, that it's some sort of magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.
Yeah magic guns and not having ammo management really breaks my immersion in these games.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like

Siliconemelons

Okay all, I have been convinced that FF IIIIIIII is one of THE best FF games

because FF 13 and 15 were released

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

I think it's implied that bullets are re-usable:
Case.jpg

And that each bullet doesn't get shot through the gunblade, but instead vibrates the blade as you pull the trigger with some mild explosive damage at the end of the blade. There's a scene in a Laguna dream where he points out how difficult it is to use a Gunblade because it's unwieldy, and another in the early game where Zell asks how Squall can handle the vibration of the sword (and hotdogs or something idk).

I'd assume that each bullet needs to be magically charged again.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
IIIIIIIIIIII is, was, and always will be the best. TZA just made it even more bester.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Laguna getting with Squall and Rinoa's moms is a subplot and he gets one pregnant...

Wait wait wait time the fuck out. Who was Squall's mom?? I feel like I've missed some massive shit from that game if I didn't know Laguna was Squall's dad. Or I'm completely misinterpreting something here.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wait wait wait time the fuck out. Who was Squall's mom?? I feel like I've missed some massive shit from that game if I didn't know Laguna was Squall's dad. Or I'm completely misinterpreting something here.

When Laguna is at Winhill recovering from his injuries at Lunatic Pandora, the woman he is staying with (Raine) is Squall's mother.

The house he is staying in is Ellone's parents' house, they were killed in an Esthar raid, they were looking for little girls to be Adal's successor. Raine had adopted Ellone.

Ellone is eventually sucessfully kidnapped by Esthar and Laguna goes to rescue her, by the time he's done Raine has died (childbirth? Not sure why) and Squall/Ellone had been sent to the orphanage. The townspeople hated him so never told him what had happened.

In the end credits it's revealed that Laguna had gotten engaged/married to Raine. So he must be Squall's father. It also explains why Ellone is such a big deal to Squall since she's actually his adopted sister and not a random orphanage kid.

I think there's some dialogue before the ending where Squall and Laguna talk about some of this stuff.

The woman he goes to see in the bar in the first flashback is Rinoa's mother. Rinoa's father is the general in the bar who sends them off on a suicide mission to Lunatic Pandora to get him out of the way. He is assumed dead after that mission, so Rinoa's mother moves on.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah I knew about Rinoa's mother being the musician chick and her ending up with General Caraway because of Laguna running off, plus I've been playing through FF8 again on PS3 ($100 original fat PS3 off ebay, great investment) so that part is still rather fresh. If the Laguna/Raine/Squall stuff took place at the end of the game that might be why I either forgot or missed it, been a really long time since I finished the game.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Don't feel bad. I've beaten the game 4 times and I still don't understand elements of it. It was truly confusing storytelling. It was like they took the confusion around FF7's Cloud/Zack memories and dialed it up to 11 and made it integral to half the plot.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Don't feel bad. I've beaten the game 4 times and I still don't understand elements of it. It was truly confusing storytelling. It was like they took the confusion around FF7's Cloud/Zack memories and dialed it up to 11 and made it integral to half the plot.
It's ok you were using guardian forces in that game and they cause you to lose your memory. I'm sure that's why everyone forgot about anything interesting in FF8

Siliconemelons

As I said, convolution on top of convolution presented in a bunch of stale fortune cookies shook up in a bad and thrown to random toddlers to then assemble.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't mind it all not being spelled out for you, it adds depth to the game. The Laguna stuff is just a vehicle to understand Ellone's importance.

You don't need to understand the specifics to follow the main plot.

Siliconemelons

FF8 is an example of how the hero's journey is done, if you split each part and sub section of the journey of it apart, give it to random characters to pop in and out of the narrative.