The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Started playing through this since I stopped on release. Only about 10 hours in so not very far.

Is there a way to get better at combat, or general tips? The reason I ask is I did the fight with Titans arm and it was just fucking dumb. Couldn't see shit. Then I went to the cave as part of the ramuh quest and just ran around autoattacking shit but not really being able to see what was going on. It made me kind of bored just warping around holding circle and autoattacking.

Or is that just how the game is

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's pretty much how I remember the game being. If you auto attack constantly you'll eat some hits every fight, you have to pause to dodge/block otherwise.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've also encountered a few shitty bugs so far

There was a Naga/Medusa miniboss in ramuhs cave. I was running fast through the area and she popped off sort of off screen trying to talk to my character, but I couldn't see her dialog so I just picked random chat options. Then she just stood there for like two minutes before attacking.

Second was the boss after you find the regalia in the base. The one where the magitek generator is there. So I kill the soldiers and then the boss and all seems fine. Then I lay waste to the generator and the game just says deliver the final blow , but I can't.

I should stop here and say it also said during the battle I could summon ramuh with L2. I pressed it a few times and nothing happened, so I just continued.

So I cant kill the generator, so I run out of the boss arena. There I find the boss respawned and I need to kill him again...outside of the boss area. So I kill him and then randomly on the final blow ramuh shows up does his judgment bolt to..nothing. As soon as he finishes the boss fight completes.

Not sure why I'm getting so many bugs but they're kind of annoying.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Summons are weird in the game, I think I only ever saw 2 of the 5 (6?) despite trying to summon them. I think you press L2 but have to have full mana (whatever your limit break thing is? glowy effect) and they look gorgeous, but don't do much you can't do yourself.

Don't think I ever saw any bugs, just the most depressing thing that at level 99 you can't one shot things above level 20 (if that).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Kind of annoyed with how much time I need to spend popping healing items. Not a fun mechanic

Game in general is not fun, but as I'm on chapter 8 I feel a duty to complete it for some reason

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ok sorry this is my livejournal now

WHAT THE FUCK is up with the story, pacing, and reveals. It makes no goddamn fucking sense.

Randomly.gladios is like hey gotta do some random shit and leaves. Oooookkkk. Then we do that longass dungeon for some ore. On the way home we find out a power plant has an issue. SEVERAL HOURS LATER I'm randomly in a space suit and meet up with a clearly gladio. We kill 10 enemies and leave. He's revealed. That's it.. no expose. No reason he left. No reason we went in that place for 3 minutes.

It's like I'm missing cutscenes that just don't exist

WhY the fuck do I Google search why this story sucks so bad and people are vehemently defending it saying it's good. I don't get it

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is called "here's the obvious place where a character has their own personal mission that is available on DLC for more $$$" in the gaming universe.

But when it came out on the PS4, yes the DLC didn't exist yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah there's a moment like that for each party member I think, because DLC dollars.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Ok sorry this is my livejournal now

WHAT THE FUCK is up with the story, pacing, and reveals. It makes no goddamn fucking sense.

Randomly.gladios is like hey gotta do some random shit and leaves. Oooookkkk. Then we do that longass dungeon for some ore. On the way home we find out a power plant has an issue. SEVERAL HOURS LATER I'm randomly in a space suit and meet up with a clearly gladio. We kill 10 enemies and leave. He's revealed. That's it.. no expose. No reason he left. No reason we went in that place for 3 minutes.

WhY the fuck do I Google search why this story sucks so bad and people are vehemently defending it saying it's good. I don't get it

XV had an awful story because it focused it almost first person from the perspective of Noctis. Characters dying that they made a huge deal about and we had literally known them for minutes in game.

XV had potential with how the world is an interesting plot and the overall story around you is good, they just don't let you see any of it and force you to bring the backstreet boys to save the world. This world and overall plot in an oldschool Final Fantasy could have been good.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I figured it was the DLC dollars (which, I will not buy), but they did not do that stuff organically. It felt very disjointed, like much of the story.

For instance, taking the boat to the new island (forget name), and they're talking about Leviathan. Why do we know Leviathan is next? Maybe they told us, but I can't remember. I didn't even remember that we WERE looking for these trials. For reference, even though I have it I did not watch the movie.

The most unforgivable sin happened last night though. What I'm going to say isn't news to anyone, but to me it was shocking.

I forgot about upgrading my weapon, so I went around collecting the pieces I needed. I picked up the glass piece when Gladio says 'hey noctic, can we go to the cup noodle truck.' I cringe, but see it's right there so whatever. Then... well... it's best to just have a video of the commercial rather than me re-enact it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I just couldn't get into XV at all. Midori played it for a while and gave up. I might jump in at some point but it just seemed like such a forgettable game, meh.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just couldn't get into XV at all. Midori played it for a while and gave up. I might jump in at some point but it just seemed like such a forgettable game, meh.
So far there hasn't been anything enjoyable to me, outside how great the world looks and feels. I'm only playing now because I have some weird sense of pride and determination to beat it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The Leviathan battle had the chance to be so fucking epic. Then... It wasn't.

Seriously took me 20 minutes just slapping him with a sword until I went super Saiyan and then then took forever too.

Damn

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been kind of busy but basically at the end of chapter 13 now, so as far as I know I probably have a couple hours left, if that.

I took a break to do hunts and upgrade Noctis weapon. I couldn't get the helixhorn to drop so I said F it and just continued.

What a lame way to get an ultimate weapon. They half-assed that.

Also I'll provide my final thoughts in another blogpost here.. but it is very jarring seeing how small the area you can play in at the end is when there's so much more there. A shame.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
On the last boss section now. What the fuck was chapter 13. I heard it was scary/hard/long and I guess got nerfed? I was basically god mode the entire chapter up to the ravus fight. I also heard chapter 14 is greatly expanded in the royal edition but I'm not wasting money on that. Basically going towards final bosses, ending it, and putting this game away permanently.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, FFXV has some really bad integration of multiple mediums. Instead of adding to the story, they literally remove chunks of what should have been the main narrative from the game and make you watch a movie and an anime to figure out wtf is going on.

It can definitely be done better, and given just how much was spent to do that for this game, it should have. Really wasted opportunity and it contributed heavily to the disjointed feel of the game's story.

And yeah, the Cup Noodles stuff was pants on head retarded, but I was laughing too much at the stupidity of the whole thing to really get upset about it. Just dumb.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I got ~10 hours into FFXV before I realized I had no idea what was happening in combat most of the time, the side quests were mind numbing, the story made little sense (even though I watched the movie) and was presented in a terrible fashion, and just shrugged and uninstalled. I feel like I'm not missing out on anything worthwhile, which is pretty much how I've felt about the series since 10.

I know it will never happen, but I'd really like to see a 90's JRPG golden era sort of thing happen again, but in the west. I just can't connect with Japanese storytelling anymore.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I've replayed every PS1/PS2 era FF game at least three times. Everything since? Haven't even come close to finishing. Last game in this style I really enjoyed was Lost Odyssey.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just beat this last night. Thank you for putting up with my blog so far.

A little warning, I didn't do many side quests and did a pretty minimal amount of hunts. What this does is shows you a pretty massive world (at least, it appears that way) but you never really do much in it. You drive your car from point A to point B, hit some objectives and that's it. The island you go to around 8 is pathetically small and you can tell it was meant to be so much more. Going there in the state it was in felt like an insult. Same thing happens during the train segments. There's a world there that you can't explore. Chapter 14 should've been a sprawling city but you're left with a tiny on rails section capped off with a forgettable king behemoth fight.

The combat sucks in this game. There are good ideas here but they get lost in the confusing system. If you have wait mode turned off, like I did for the first half, the combat straight sucks and is just a blur. With wait mode at least you can plan stuff. The warp striking and weapon switching was a cool idea - but those weapons draining life was completely lame. If they wanted you to limit usage they should've just had charges. The magic system was insulting as well - for a series with such a classic magic system they really fucked it up here. Crafting spells would be ok.. but we get 3 elementals and some bonuses by adding an item. Not to mention the worst part, it hurts your teammates. I used magic in the beginning because that shit would one shot bosses but later stopped.

The story makes no sense. There are clear parts while you're playing where stuff was cut and you just wonder what's even going on. Characters disappearing for DLC start points was.lame except for promptos which actually fit in with what was going on. They had a chance to make the summon battles interesting, and they tried with Leviathan, but they fell very flat. For both Leviathan and ifrit there were points where I was continually beating on the boss for 5+ minutes waiting for the death shit to start. Feels like there's a disconnect there. On a positive.note, noctis looking grizzled by the end was good story telling, I actually started to care what was going to happen to him. The rest of his party were just noise.

I beat the game at level 42 and I think the game goes to 120. Last boss was ultra lame. Theres a lot of game I didn't do and it never felt worthwhile for me to do. If it wasn't all generic questing with crap.rewards maybe. Certainly not interested in post game.

I'd rank this my lowest final fantasy game, mayb a 3-4/10. Never going to replay it.

If royal edition fixes my gripes that's even more disappointing. All I can think is '10 years, REALLY?!!'

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users