The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Has anyone had any experience modding any FF titles? I've been looking into playing a difficulty mod with VI, and there's a few to choose from.

Brave New World is considered the best for FF6 by a lot of people, but i have no personal experience with it.

edit -- errr, i suppose that's not a difficulty mod, tho.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
World of Final Fantasy Maxima out at midnight tonight. Pretty extensive DLC, I'm pretty excited. Visually WoFF is pretty cutesy, and the Pokemon style monster collection turns off some, but it's one of my favorite FF games. I'll be up pretty late tonight.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Does the remaster auto switch targets if something dies? Wiffing attacks in FF1 NES could be brutal.

Yes, all versions past the original NES version fixed that.

Not asked for, but BTW and IMO -- the PS1 version of Final Fantasy (in the Final Fantasy Origins collection alongside FF2) is the best version. It retains the original magic system and difficulty, has a wonderfully recreated orchestral soundtrack (recorded alongside the FF9 soundtrack I believe), a great retranslation, and pretty good added FMV sequences.

The only thing it lacks compared to later versions is the bonus post-game dungeons. If you want the bonus content, best version becomes the PSP release.

Both are obviously best experienced in 2018 via PC emulator. Particularly the PSX version improves on emulator, load times on OG hardware are atrocious.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata and CEO of Luminous Productions is resigning from Luminous and Square Enix to start his own company effective October 31, 2018
He knows something, certainly enough to bail on short notice.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The article seems to extrapolate a lot of stuff. The writeoff is apparently because they cancelled all the side projects so everything they had started has been cancelled to refocus on just AAA games. Probably cutting off stuff like animes and what not. Like it mentions stuff being down with XIV as an example, but XIV is a terrible example since in the same 6months period that's being compared last year, they released Stormblood. Obviously sales would be down when you compare box sales+subs+cash shop versus just subs+cash shop. Next year same period will be back up because they're releasing the next expansion.

I think it's possible Tabata just had a bunch of these projects going, and he either decided to quit so they cancelled everything, or they decided to cancel everything and he quit as a result to work on that stuff himself.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I hope it's step one in Squeenix's much needed restructuring. Their games have been taking FOREVER to produce, maybe this is the first in a series of changes meant to fix that.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I hope it's step one in Squeenix's much needed restructuring. Their games have been taking FOREVER to produce, maybe this is the first in a series of changes meant to fix that.
It's crazy.

The issue since FF12 is always story and game design and they should be the least time consuming to produce since you can plan it all out on paper or prototype it in old game engines.

If it's the graphics/animations/UI taking up all the time you'd assume everything else would be rock solid, the graphics always seem great though.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Curious what people thought of the FF12 remake. Was considering it after I wrap up RDR 2 and AC: Odyssey.

Moving this reply just so we don't divide FF discussion too much.

FF12 remake is awesome dude. The combat might get a little boring if you're really good at setting up your "gambits," but the game is pretty damn good looking for a remaster, and there is SO MUCH side content. The new job system from the remake really adds to the game, I would recommend reading up about it and planning which two jobs you want each of your six characters to have.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

The drip feed content in XV was easily my least favourite part.

I'm actually ok with Tabata not being a part of XVI (I assume) because I think it needs a fresh team, miles away from the nova crystalis nonsense that's oppressed the series for so long.

XV was originally Versus XIII and in its worst moments you can definitely feel the XIII mechanics and style wrapping its tendrils around XV.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Moving this reply just so we don't divide FF discussion too much.

FF12 remake is awesome dude. The combat might get a little boring if you're really good at setting up your "gambits," but the game is pretty damn good looking for a remaster, and there is SO MUCH side content. The new job system from the remake really adds to the game, I would recommend reading up about it and planning which two jobs you want each of your six characters to have.
It's a shame the game is missing a proper Final Fantasy ending.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

FF4 is the best, and the DS remake is the best version of FF4

While I did enjoy the better "flow" the DS/3d remake of FF4 offered, the actual visual "scope" of the game seemed to lessen the grandeur and enormity of the entire game.

The 2d sprites, map and battle stage were just "more" and "bigger" - the tower of babil was trump yuge, the fiends where huge and insane, golbez was giant fucken nightmare... in the 3d remake, eh...

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
While I did enjoy the better "flow" the DS/3d remake of FF4 offered, the actual visual "scope" of the game seemed to lessen the grandeur and enormity of the entire game.

The 2d sprites, map and battle stage were just "more" and "bigger" - the tower of babil was trump yuge, the fiends where huge and insane, golbez was giant fucken nightmare... in the 3d remake, eh...
The DS remake is actually balls fucking hard though. I could probably beat the SNES version in my sleep.

Plus, seeing Palom and Porom actually twincast break on themselves was heartbreaking.