The Fishing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
We totally struck out offshore chasing the early wahoo bite. Still a great trip learning how to setup new outriggers and trying to transition from reef fishing to trolling. Lots to learn !

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone near Tampa? Moving down there in a few months and was reading about the old bridge that turned into a long ass fishing pier now basically across the bay. Wondering if that's as amazing as it sounds, apparently it's long enough you can get out and catch grouper/snapper and the like right off the side of it after driving your car out there lol.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
TheBeagle TheBeagle .

I don't know about the other guy but assuming my friend was slow boating a jig along the bottom as he has for the last 20 years this time of year. I'll ask him tonight. We used to fish together and he would have a jig on the bottom so slooow I thought he had a stroke or something. Jig with a craw was his standby this time of year. Only time he changed was summer time on Nac he would use a buzzbair late in the afternoon right before dark. He used to say "Every bass over 5 pounds you catch take a pic, when you're 100 years old you'll have a ton of pics". They went during the week and he lives only about 1-1/2 hours away. I imagine a weekend this time of year with the temps they are now it's going to get super busy. Which reminds me the one time I went with him to Fork we got hailed on. Fun times.

On a non related note I talked to the guy who owns the state record for bass who now works at the fishery in Athens. Very strange dude, he definelty played his hand into something. Very strange.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
TheBeagle TheBeagle .

I don't know about the other guy but assuming my friend was slow boating a jig along the bottom as he has for the last 20 years this time of year. I'll ask him tonight. We used to fish together and he would have a jig on the bottom so slooow I thought he had a stroke or something. Jig with a craw was his standby this time of year. Only time he changed was summer time on Nac he would use a buzzbair late in the afternoon right before dark. He used to say "Every bass over 5 pounds you catch take a pic, when you're 100 years old you'll have a ton of pics". They went during the week and he lives only about 1-1/2 hours away. I imagine a weekend this time of year with the temps they are now it's going to get super busy. Which reminds me the one time I went with him to Fork we got hailed on. Fun times.

On a non related note I talked to the guy who owns the state record for bass who now works at the fishery in Athens. Very strange dude, he definelty played his hand into something. Very strange.
Awesome, thanks!
I've def met some weird dudes working in fisheries.

Borzak

TheBeagle TheBeagle

I had other issues pop up last night. I'll try him again this afternoon or tonight, assuming you are headed to Fork over the weekend.

I never got a real answer as to why the guy who caught the state record bass works there. He's kind of a PR guy at the hatchery. He's not trained in fisheries or water anything at all. Just a guy who lived local and caught the fish from what I was told.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
TheBeagle TheBeagle

I had other issues pop up last night. I'll try him again this afternoon or tonight, assuming you are headed to Fork over the weekend.

I never got a real answer as to why the guy who caught the state record bass works there. He's kind of a PR guy at the hatchery. He's not trained in fisheries or water anything at all. Just a guy who lived local and caught the fish from what I was told.
No worries bro. Half the fun is figuring out how/when/where to target em. I'm just surprised they're already starting to stack up.

I've always been more of a live bait guy so I'll prolly get some worms to catch some bluegill with and then work some jigs while I keep a bluegill parked on the bottom.

Borzak

I haven't fished with live bait for freshwater fish since I was probably 8. Apparently looking it up the TX state record now says caught on a missow in Fork. The guy used to say he was crappie fishing with a jig vertically under the bridge. January 24th super early (and my birthday, I shoulda been fishing). So I'm no help on live bait. My one double digit bass came on Murvaul on a pink bass assasin within minutes of another 7 pounder off the same stump, while my partner who was running the trolling motor was fixing his reel.

Good luck on Fork. I haven't fished it all that much. And like I said above I got hailed on once there, kind of put a damper of going back lol.

Was fun fishing in college tho. Within minutes had Lake Nacogdoches good for a 5 pounder almost any day. 30 minutes to Rayburn, 30 minutes or less to Murvaul. An hour to T-Bend, 2 hours to Fork. I spent more time fishing than anything else including class time. At least bouncing questions off my fishing partner who was in the same progeam.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Borzak

TheBeagle TheBeagle No real info. Other than both of them were dragging a jig, him with a craw. No info on depth or location (not that I know much on Fork). Of course this is a guy who used to tell people all kinds of stuff I knew he was full of shit on since I was in the boat. Sorry. This weather should have them pre staging up maybe. If it were me and I'm not a pro look for the normal humps and edges of hydrilla - no suprise there lol.

I brought up the guy works at the hatchery now that caught the 18 pounder on Fork. Said he came to his kids school on career day. Sounds odd.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Caught 4 fat girls in the Brazos a couple miles downstream of the Possum Kingdom dam today. They are def stacking up for the spawn. Caught on a 1/6 oz, rainbow colored rooster tail.
20190223_195336.jpg
20190223_174126.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Caught 4 fat girls in the Brazos a couple miles downstream of the Possum Kingdom dam today. They are def stacking up for the spawn. Caught on a 1/6 oz, rainbow colored rooster tail.
View attachment 195844View attachment 195845

Looks like a nice day on the water.

Did you fish near the bridge at 16? Been wanting to drop the kayak there, and paddle up towards the damn. There’s supposed to be good stripper and hybrid fishing on the fly through that area. I’ve seen videos on YouTube of guys right below the damn, but don’t know a decent spot for access there.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Looks like a nice day on the water.

Did you fish near the bridge at 16? Been wanting to drop the kayak there, and paddle up towards the damn. There’s supposed to be good stripper and hybrid fishing on the fly through that area. I’ve seen videos on YouTube of guys right below the damn, but don’t know a decent spot for access there.
I tried that, no luck upstream or downstream a couple kms in both directions. Then went down to the bridge on Hwy 4 where I caught those.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Hit up Spring Creek this morning to try and find the white bass running.
IMG_20190316_101011745_HDR.jpg

Couldn't find a decent pocket, but caught a few.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Thought I hooked a decent large mouth when it decided to jump, and was pretty surprised. Then the bastard proceeded to drag me and the kayak into a fallen tree. First catfish on the fly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Crazy you got a catfish on a fly, never seen that before.

I cant wait for warmer weather, I already have a freezer full of chicken and turkey livers for catfishing time.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It must have been starving. Hit my streamer like a freight train, no subtly in the take. I really did think I hooked a decent bass. Only catfish I’ve ever seen go airborne.

• 1Like

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
yellowfin tuna starting to arrive. 4kg off a speed jig. they are small and lean, but nice to see the first ones come north. Big PB russell snapper too on live bait.

• 2Like