The Flash (2023)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not as bad as the internet rage machine makes it out to be, but they clearly spend more money on it than they had to and it was too long of a movie. Also the end credits scene clearly shoes that Ezra and Mamoa buddy movie would have been better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was insanely boring and a struggle to get through. The CGI was bad, even if it was supposedly an artistic choice. The costume looks dumb as fuck. Ezra Miller is just so insufferable and the jokester version of Berry just doesnt work. I cant stand the hairy armpitted twat who they cast as Iris.

Keaton is always awesome and the girl who plays Kara was good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was this movie written and directed by high schoolers?

GOT DAMN it's bad.

The Flash also bounces back and forth between being a ridiculous aspie and a normal human. I have no idea if this is itentional or just bad acting or what.

That describes like half the media we're asked to consume these days. High schooler writing, male characters who are all goofy and awkward at all times, female characters who are either "quirky" or stone-cold girlbosses who do everything perfectly.

Mostly the male characters have to be super un-confident and self-deprecating while they flit about like they have aspergers. I see a lot of actual young men acting like this now too, probably from wolfing down so much of said media.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
that could have been DC's Endgame. it makes me sick over what they went with instead. the original Flashpoint could also have dovetailed quite nicely with a new DCU. i still dont know why they decided to stick Latina Supergirl in a Russian prison cell instead of an american one. were they implying that Supes was still in the American cell?
Zod tells Kara that they captured Kal-El's pod en route and tried to extract the Kryptonian DNA shit from him, which he didn't have in this version because she did for whatever reason. He didn't survive the process.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
The animated flashpoint is really good. I haven't seen this movie yet. I'm still trying how they failed with that animated movie as a blueprint.

• 2Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The animated flashpoint is really good. I haven't seen this movie yet. I'm still trying how they failed with that animated movie as a blueprint.
I'm betting the same answer as to how they screwed up Secret Invasion with the comic laying out how to do it... Or how they semi-screwed up flashpoint in the Flash TV series.... Or Crisis on the Flash TV series... Or BvS when they had the Miller Dark Knight graphic novels sitting on their bookshelf...

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm betting the same answer as to how they screwed up Secret Invasion with the comic laying out how to do it... Or how they semi-screwed up flashpoint in the Flash TV series.... Or Crisis on the Flash TV series... Or BvS when they had the Miller Dark Knight graphic novels sitting on their bookshelf...
The patriarchy did it!

• 2Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Ah but if they copied from white guys it doesn't dismantle the systems of oppession, they have to show they are better than what came before. Its the same hubris that makes the environmentalist ignore nuclear energy which would help their cause but does nothing to dismantle capitalism or the western society they despise.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Zod tells Kara that they captured Kal-El's pod en route and tried to extract the Kryptonian DNA shit from him, which he didn't have in this version because she did for whatever reason. He didn't survive the process.
it could have just been Zod lying to Kara. he was trying to get her DNA. Supes could still be in prison in the US. Cyborg didnt show up either. lots of stuff could have been left on the cutting room floor. there is probably a few movies worth of footage never used.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
it could have just been Zod lying to Kara. he was trying to get her DNA. Supes could still be in prison in the US. Cyborg didnt show up either. lots of stuff could have been left on the cutting room floor. there is probably a few movies worth of footage never used.
You asked if they were implying he was still in Russia. I told you what they said in the movie. As for whether you want to believe that or speculate what might have been in an alternate version of the movie that was never shown in theaters, well...
walter white GIF

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You asked if they were implying he was still in Russia. I told you what they said in the movie. As for whether you want to believe that or speculate what might have been in an alternate version of the movie that was never shown in theaters, well...
walter white GIF
well, in the comic/anime version, Supes is in a US prison similar to what they put Kara in in Russia. i guess this movie's alternate timeline wasnt the same as that one. cuz everything else is wrong too. ok then, they werent implying Supes is still alive. but only because this timeline is different. i dont want to think about this movie anymore. it makes me mad at what could have been.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
well, in the comic/anime version, Supes is in a US prison similar to what they put Kara in in Russia. i guess this movie's alternate timeline wasnt the same as that one. cuz everything else is wrong too. ok then, they werent implying Supes is still alive. but only because this timeline is different. i dont want to think about this movie anymore. it makes me mad at what could have been.
I have seen the animated version as well, and agree it is immensely superior. But just not having the Mad Goose Wizard in it already puts it a huge step above.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

• 4Worf
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 5 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
  • 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Is it just me or is CGI getting worse not better?
Worse. More films require it, the work is insanely stressful and demanding, and plenty of good operations go bankrupt because they get terrible financial terms from studios (the Life of PI Oscar winners closed four months after winning the Oscar). It's kind of like the video game industry, milking suckers who start out passionate about the work.

Last edited:

Sevens

Log Wizard
So this is on Max now, thought I would check it out.
I turned it off right after the opening scene (about the time Batman and Flash grab the lasso of truth). This was just horrible, absolutely terrible to the Nth degree. The whole baby rescue scene was cringe worthy from start to finish. The ONLY good thing i seen (from what I watched) was the nurses reaction after she landed on the ground.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Worse. More films require it, the work is insanely stressful and demanding, and plenty of good operations go bankrupt because they get terrible financial terms from studios (the Life of PI Oscar winners closed four months after winning the Oscar). It's kind of like the video game industry, milking suckers who start out passionate about the work.
the POTENTIAL for cg is significantly better, the baseline increased by a huge amount. unfortunately what that means is that the execs see that since it took such a short time to create something that looks as good as it does, and then assume that it's a linear curve to continue improvements. OR they realize that the amount of time it takes to improve cg increases exponentially and realize that at a certain point, the cost outweighs benefit and give incredibly short deadlines for cg shots.

when you get studios that understand that and allow the artists to do their job well, you get stuff like love, death and robots where the cg is sometimes nearly indistinguishable from live action. but otherwise you get the recent era of superhero shows and movies where it all seems... not so good. i mean, it's one thing to make something stylistically fake looking... like some of the shots from Dredd or Alita, where you can OBVIOUSLY tell things are fake, but it's done in a way that is clearly a stylistic choice and very much fits the aesthetics of the movie.

with THIS movie, if what the director said was true, and that it was always the plan to have the cg look so off specifically because the speedforce is sort of distorting everything around it... well, i mean i can appreciate the idea behind that, but it doesn't come off as speedforce distortion, it just looks like you (the director) gave the cgi department way too little time to save money under the guise of "style"

i guess i can also understand why he'd make that call, knowing how much money this sucker was costing while being in development hell. you know, i'd pay good money to some studio to do documentaries on individual movies. it is FASCINATING how everything got so screwed up with this movie and just kept on trucking.

• 1Like