The Grand Tour (from the guys in Top Gear)

geffe71_sl

shitlord
Word is that ITV is trying to lure him to their network to do a car show. and ITV is "no fucks given" for the most part

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if ITV hired clarkson on i bet the BBC would have him sign an NDA that he couldnt badmouth them. cuz you know he would totally shred that network to pieces, he is one of those guys who "knows where the bodies are buried"

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Or what? Does he have money paid in annuity or continued royalties or something?

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The show IS Clarkson. Whatever happens, if he ends up somewhere else . . . that's what I will watch

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just some info that's probably relevant that not everyone seems to know here.

TG brings in about 6 million viewers live on BBC. It's not actually crazy highly rated as far as Britain goes, not even. Overall it's still their most watched show by a healthy margin, obviously, but the actual original broadcast is behind multiple other BBC shows. We always hear about the global viewership but the BBC apparently doesn't make insane bank off that. So while they absolutely want the show it's not quite the 50/50 proposition we TG fans seem to think(hope) it is.

A couple years ago Clarkson and Andy Wilman sold their production company, which owned the show, to the BBC. Apparently there was something of a rift between the hosts because of how more money Jeremy was making for doing the same show and they decided it was the best way to resolve that. Now in addition to their salaries, which are supposedly equal, all 3 hosts get a share of the worldwide commercial revenue.

I've seen a few folks say that the hosts have all agreed they won't do the show without all 3 of them. Haven't seen a reference for this though.

Someone gave a list of other HUGE BBC stars who have left to do iTV shows. They have all pretty much bombed. But I don't think any of them have had nearly the crazy long term following of Top Gear.

While looking stuff up I found this little article. Somewhat interesting.

BBC News - Top Gear: How a monster was born

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
lol at this thread. It is amazing how many people think that talent should be able to operate outside of standard UK employment law. How many of you think you could throw a punch at a colleague and get away with it. The BBC are duty bound to investigate the accusation in accordance with UK employment law and their own guidelines/practices. If they didn't then they could easily get taken to an employment tribunal. Of course the costs at the tribunal are unlikely to come anywhere near the financial impact of cancelling Top Gear but it preserves their reputation, which in a post Savile era, they need to be seen to be upholding.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Same shit with eeny-miney-moe.. it wasn't even what was airing! It was him speaking to himself rehearsing the lines before the camera was rolling.

Fucking PC bullshit these days.
Intended for broadcast or not, there is literally NO reason to ever use that version and no acceptable context.

Goatface

We always hear about the global viewership but the BBC apparently doesn't make insane bank off that. .
estimates i have seen put global take at anywhere from $20 to $225 million per year. Don't think any of their other shows come close.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Top Gear is more than Clarkson, the way the show is formatted now probably couldn't be done anyplace else with the winning formula it has without the entire team following - even then I'm not sure it would work. The BBC gives alot of free reign to JC and with advertising on other UK networks I feel he would be toned down considerably.

Seems stupid to row over a meal when you can afford to have Noma fly you in a meal..But that's Jezza I guess..

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Top Gear is more than Clarkson, the way the show is formatted now probably couldn't be done anyplace else with the winning formula it has without the entire team following - even then I'm not sure it would work. The BBC gives alot of free reign to JC and with advertising on other UK networks I feel he would be toned down considerably.

Seems stupid to row over a meal when you can afford to have Noma fly you in a meal..But that's Jezza I guess..
I totally agree that the show just isn't the presenters. The cinematography and music are fantastic and I think drives a lot of the atmosphere of what makes the show so awesome. They seem to have a talent to take movie music, apply it to what would otherwise be a boring scene and generate a fairly strong emotional response. Couple that with the work the crew must do to make the locations work, setup races and otherwise provide support for their adventures and I really don't think the presenters leaving and starting up again on another network would work.

Unless it was HBO... they'd be fucking awesome on HBO.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dont see how they would have a top gear if the stars left. a new network can also hire the old top gear crew to work on the new show as well. the only real problem is bad blood causing the car manufacturers to not provide cars for this theoretical new show. still if it was just clarkson, may and hammond farting around doing cheap car challenges every week they would have me til the end.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I totally agree that the show just isn't the presenters. The cinematography and music are fantastic and I think drives a lot of the atmosphere of what makes the show so awesome. They seem to have a talent to take movie music, apply it to what would otherwise be a boring scene and generate a fairly strong emotional response. Couple that with the work the crew must do to make the locations work, setup races and otherwise provide support for their adventures and I really don't think the presenters leaving and starting up again on another network would work.

Unless it was HBO... they'd be fucking awesome on HBO.
Yeah the location crew, sound, and editing is pretty special - they really are the unsung heroes of the program and pretty much make JC, JM, RH and the cars look fantastic on screen.

Interestingly enough I live close to James May and we pretty much share a local pub - only seen him a few times over the last couple of years though.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah the location crew, sound, and editing is pretty special - they really are the unsung heroes of the program and pretty much make JC, JM, RH and the cars look fantastic on screen.
When they were planning and shooting the pilot for the initial US version with Adam Carolla one of the big selling points was they had the UK production team helping out and picking the crew that would shoot it. They were real determined to keep the production values and visual style the same.

Then they scrapped that because Knight Rider bombed. And we ended up with the goofy scripted mediocre "car show" we have now.

This is some of the test reel footage stuff they shot for it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's been forever since I watched Top Gear USA, but I don't remember it looking anything remotely like that.

A lot of the times (as seen with the BBC) I feel like people get in the way of a good thing.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Word is that ITV is trying to lure him to their network to do a car show. and ITV is "no fucks given" for the most part
You don't want this, ITV is fucking awful. That is the place where American Idol, America's Got Talent and X Factor started with their UK versions as well as introducing the world to Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan. So they'll change the show to cater to uneducated people.

It'll also be shorter plus ad breaks. Nobody is going to put 1 hour of niche car programming on their main channel, BBC have two major channels and put all of their interesting stuff like this on the second one. ITV doesn't have a main second channel, so Top Gear will be 30 mins long aired later at night.

ITV have a history of buying BBC talent to front a knock off show, they are always bad and the star fades into retirement and is sacked soon after - but they are still on contract so are forced to take part in one of their retarded jungle survivial or ice skating reality shows in a version of celebrity hell. Meanwhile BBC usually replaces them with someone new who ends up being better.

Goatface

i liked the show better when it had less production. what they have is really well done and all, but that isn't why i watch the show.

Pikifou

Molten Core Raider
July 2010: Burkas and lingerie
During a Top Gear discussion on distractions while driving: ?Honestly, the burka doesn?t work. I was in a cab in Piccadilly the other day when a woman in a full burka crossing the road in front of me tripped over the pavement, went head over heels and up it came, red g-string and stockings.?
I don't understand where is the problem with this one
transparency.gif