The Greatest TV Series of All Time

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Nathan For You is too hit-or-miss to be the greatest show of all time. While most of the bits are funny, there are a few duds in there.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Comedy - Cheers
Drama - X Files
Crime show - Wire
Monster of the week - Supernatural
Sci Fi - Babylon 5

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I kind of agree with Cheese where Wire seems overrated. Is it good? Yes. But everyone talks it up like it is this mindblowing series and I honestly just thought it was a really good TV show. I think I may have actually enjoyed Oz more than The Wire.

Now it seems that way. Back 15 years ago it was the shit.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
1. The Wire
2. Game of Thrones
3. Breaking Bad
4. Seinfeld
5. The Shield

I'll be interested to see how Game of Thrones ages. In like 10 years when someone binges it all never seeing the series before will people think it jumped the shark as much as it feels like the show has? Will they think the twists and turns are mind blowing? I honestly don't know.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Best show overall: the wire. honorable mentions to Simpsons pre season 11, rick and morty, X-files, game of thrones, seinfeld.

Sterling

El Presidente
I'll be interested to see how Game of Thrones ages. In like 10 years when someone binges it all never seeing the series before will people think it jumped the shark as much as it feels like the show has? Will they think the twists and turns are mind blowing? I honestly don't know.
I would suspect that the later seasons won't age particularly well as effects get better over time since they've hinged largely on spectacle. The early seasons will for sure hold up though, I think they're excellent and will be relatively timeless.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Yeah Im curious as well.

I also haven't seen Rome since it released, and I'm curious how it has aged, but I'd definitely throw it an honorable mention.

An under-the-radar show I'd also nominate is Utopia from BBC. Ultra-violent,and the first season was just amazing. Still just blows that David Fincher & HBO couldn't come to an agreement on the remake..

edit: Oh fuck, let this be real Utopia - Adaptation of British Drama Series Getting Another Go at HBO?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Definitively, the greatest television show that has ever been broadcast on any platform is without a doubt...

The Wire.

This is unimpeachable and I will bring the full nerd fury down on anyone that claims different. TNG is great. GoT is great. Breaking Bad is great. The Sopranos is great. Deadwood is great. I Love Lucy is fucking great.

But no show is so complete, so thorough and developed to even compare to what The Wire did. It's a fully encapsulated, entertaining and provoking tale between some of the most well grown and endearing characters, put into some of the most unique and well thought out stories that nothing else even comes close.

NYPD Blue, Seinfeld, Firefly, Band of Brothers...fuck even Friends all have their places among the Pantheon of Good TV.

But The Wire does what they do, and does it better.

Old Cases alone shines (in the first season even..) as a testament to the creative storytelling and narrative that can be created simply around the word "fuck"...and it doesn't even ham it up. It's sincere and honest.

The Wire is without a doubt the greatest television show of all time and I cannot wait until we see something like it come again.

You can break this down into categories and other shows are going to shine far, far above, but taken outside of any genre, The Wire stands alone.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Definitively, the greatest television show that has even been broadcast on any platform is without a doubt...

The Wire.

This is unimpeachable and I will bring the full nerd fury down on anyone that claims different. TNG is great. GoT is great. Breaking Bad is great. The Sopranos is great. Deadwood is great. I Love Lucy is fucking great.

But no show is so complete, so thorough and developed to even compare to what The Wire did. It's a fully encapsulated, entertaining and provoking tale between some of the most well grown and endearing characters, put into some of the most unique and well thought out stories that nothing else even comes close.

Old Cases alone shines (in the first season even..) as a testament to the creative storytelling and narrative that can be created simply around the word "fuck"...and it doesn't even ham it up. It's sincere and honest.

The Wire is without a doubt the greatest television show of all time and I cannot wait until we see something like it come again.

You can break this down into categories and other shows are going to shine far, far above, but taken outside of any genre, The Wire stands alone.

meh not enough diversity tbh

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8 episodes/1 season not really enough maybe to qualify it, but Season 1 of True Detective should get a mention for being good fucking TV. Not ranking it at the top by any stretch, but just surprised there was no mention of it. Should just forget Season 2 ever existed, although I will hope if the rumored Season 3 becomes a reality they don't fuck it up as bad as S2.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
8 episodes/1 season not really enough maybe to qualify it, but Season 1 of True Detective should get a mention for being good fucking TV. Not ranking it at the top by any stretch, but just surprised there was no mention of it. Should just forget Season 2 ever existed, although I will hope if the rumored Season 3 becomes a reality they don't fuck it up as bad as S2.

First season of TD is good, but the thread title is "of all time". I can make the case that specific episodes of the original Twin Peaks are better than TD as a whole.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You're all wrong.

Best TV show ever made in the history of man: Chuck.

Followed closely by the rest of the series mentioned here.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard