The Greatest TV Series of All Time

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I love The Wire, but I feel like there are many shows on that same level of quality. The Sopranos, Mad Men, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, etc.

Those are amazing shows as well, but the thread title isn't "What are Some Good Shows".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Those are amazing shows as well, but the thread title isn't "What are Some Good Shows".
I break all the fucking rules.

If I had to pick one, Deadwood. The ending has really grown on me as poetic. Contrast with the Sopranos ending, which I dislike even more as time goes on.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Friends was a far better sitcom than Big Bang Theory ever was. It had actual situational comedy for example. BBT just has some disjointed dialog that isn't even funny, yet every single line gets a big roar from the laugh track.

I dare you to watch this and not crack up.

I'll agree Friends is better, just not far better. Both of those shows rely on most viewers being consistent watchers b/c they do so many call backs to old jokes/situations from previous episodes. Fully understand both not being people's cup of tea, but both are good shows for what they are.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I guess it's been a long time since I've watched any sitcoms. Those laugh tracks are very distracting.

When I watch BBT, if I can let my mind ignore the laugh track is passible, but man when you actually pay attention and hear how often and ridiculous the laugh tracks are, it's brutal to sit through.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A lot of good comedies are like that. They reference jokes from previous episodes. Shit, almost every joke in Archer is like that.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'll agree Friends is better, just not far better. Both of those shows rely on most viewers being consistent watchers b/c they do so many call backs to old jokes/situations from previous episodes. Fully understand both not being people's cup of tea, but both are good shows for what they are.

I recently rewatched Friends with my wife and it is hilarious to see how they water down the show after the first season. They dealt with a ton of social issues with a layer of comedy on top of it. Afterwards BBT and Friends are basically the same show.

spronk

FPS noob
Big Bang Theory just overstayed its welcome, it woulda been fine as a 4-5 season sitcom but going on season ELEVEN now with a spinoff series (Young Sheldon) and 80% of the episodes are just not funny. Family Guy and many other shows have the same problem.

With few exceptions most TV shows have a 6-7 season lifespan, tops, and when you go beyond that people subconsciously start disliking your show. For example characters that are supposed to be poor/middle class keep looking healthier and fitter and wearing better clothes because the actors are richer. The episodes go to weird locations (Hawaii) because the producers wanted a vacation. You lose that guerrilla "lets work hard and get it done" vibe and it shows.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
For example characters that are supposed to be poor/middle class keep looking healthier and fitter and wearing better clothes because the actors are richer.

What? Actors don't show up in their normal clothes and are like "yo I'm ready let's film". Unless it was a shitty show to begin with and had no budget for wardrobe.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
*Every* show with a laugh track is unwatchable so long as you're paying attention to it.

I vote The Wire. Season 2 was not disjointed. It was amazing AND has the the nicest boobs ever shown on a TV series ;)

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
*Every* show with a laugh track is unwatchable so long as you're paying attention to it.

I vote The Wire. Season 2 was not disjointed. It was amazing AND has the the nicest boobs ever shown on a TV series ;)

I dunno. There are great titties in True Detective S1 and GoT.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I've been re-watching Three's Company. Probably way before most people's time here, but god damn that was a funny sitcom and definitely in my top 5. Suzanne Somers played the dumb blonde perfectly and holy shit that body. Despite being from the late 70s/early 80s, it holds up pretty well.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Barney Miller and Mash have both aged fairly well, too.

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For example characters that are supposed to be poor/middle class keep looking healthier and fitter and wearing better clothes because the actors are richer.

Is being in shape reserved exclusively for the rich?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've been re-watching Three's Company. Probably way before most people's time here, but god damn that was a funny sitcom and definitely in my top 5. Suzanne Somers played the dumb blonde perfectly and holy shit that body. Despite being from the late 70s/early 80s, it holds up pretty well.
Barney Miller and Mash have both aged fairly well, too.

All in the Family is still pretty great

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Hogan's Heroes and The Beverly Hillbillies are fantastic classics too

the funny thing is when i think about it, shows from that era had a cast with a wide range of actors in terms of age and looks, whereas nowadays everything skews super young and hot

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I break all the fucking rules.

If I had to pick one, Deadwood. The ending has really grown on me as poetic. Contrast with the Sopranos ending, which I dislike even more as time goes on.
Deadwood, as a whole is fantastic. But The Wire, also as a whole is just as fantastic along with having standout episodes, characters and performances. Deadwood never had that unless you count maybe the Hickock episode, but we all knew that was coming. Thats what edges The Wire out.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
the funny thing is when i think about it, shows from that era had a cast with a wide range of actors in terms of age and looks, whereas nowadays everything skews super young and hot

Maybe on shitty network TV?