The Greatest TV Series of All Time

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Like Jimmy Saks going off the deep end after hearing the joke about his wife. It was totally out of character, for the character.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
True Detective S1 was great until the very end. The stereotypical bad guy prevents it from being a top choice IMO

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
As someone who never watched The Sopranos until now (on season 4 currently). It's not even in the conversation as best show ever. Sorry. There are way too many "What? Why the fuck is this happening all of a sudden" moments in the show. Lots of plot holes purely for fan service.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great show, but it's not in the conversation.

I think The Sopranos was made at the wrong time and has too much of an "episode of the week" feel. If it were made today then I am sure it would be more of a serial drama with greater emphasis on the central narrative

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Sopranos started to sniff its own farts tword the middle.

It was still one of the best things on TV, and its a good series. But there are some obvious problems. And really I just ignore the last season and decided that tony died from his heart attack.

Although the cut to black didn't piss me off. I thought it fit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked all that introspective philosophical bullshit. They know how to get me. The cut to black was fucking dumb, I thought. And the more time goes on the more I think it was such a waste of an opportunity.

I feel like it did have a strong central narrative. It's focus is the family and the leadership of that particular crime syndicate. They did have a lot of episodes that could have worked as one offs, but I feel like it was tied to the larger story.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What about current shows that you think have a ton of potential? Netflix has been killing it with some of their newer shows. Narcos, Mindhunter, Ozark. Depending on how those shows shake out they could really rise up the top show pecking order.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Breaking Bad is fantastic, but since finding out Skyler is supposed to be likeable, I feel like they did a terrible job characterising her.
WTF, that makes no sense. She is one of my most hated TV characters of all time, but I genuinely thought that was intentional. She's right up there with Joffrey on GOT, did an a really excellent job of being hateworthy.

If the show runners genuinely intended her to be sympathetic they failed completely.

Thats what was interesting about BB for me ultimately. There were zero sympathetic characters on that show. Just a bunch of interesting people I hated for different reasons.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What about current shows that you think have a ton of potential? Netflix has been killing it with some of their newer shows. Narcos, Mindhunter, Ozark. Depending on how those shows shake out they could really rise up the top show pecking order.
I think Stranger Things and Mr Robot are on track. Westworld almost certainly. Better Call Saul, which is a surprise to me. I assumed it would not be great when first announced. Fargo for sure, Legion idk I think I need some distance from but that was basically my favorite show last year.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Better Call Saul is extremely well made TV, but that doesn't make it a good story or one worthy of telling. Prequels and origin stories just need to go the fuck away.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think Stranger Things and Mr Robot are on track. Westworld almost certainly. Better Call Saul, which is a surprise to me. I assumed it would not be great when first announced. Fargo for sure, Legion idk I think I need some distance from but that was basically my favorite show last year.

Mr Robot still on the list after S2? Admittedly I'm actually really behind and haven't watched a single episode of S3 yet, but heard good things so plan to catch up on dvr soon.

Randomly going back to comedies, if Entourage hadn't gone on nearly as long as it did, would earn a mention from me. Some incredible stand out episodes too in the first 3 seasons. I still love most of the entire show (S6 kind bad imo), but the later seasons don't even compare to how good the early ones were.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Ozark, Stranger Things, and Narcos for sure. Better Call Saul is...maybe getting there (and I am EXTREMELY biased toward New Mexico shows). Only watched the first episode of Mindhunter so can't really comment.

I still need to watch Fargo...too much fucking good television is the real take away from this thread.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ozark, Stranger Things, and Narcos for sure. Better Call Saul is...maybe getting there (and I am EXTREMELY biased toward New Mexico shows). Only watched the first episode of Mindhunter so can't really comment.

I still need to watch Fargo...too much fucking good television is the real take away from this thread.

This thread just makes me think I really need to get Netflix. Of course I haven't watched shows like BB or Deadwood, either.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The Leftovers is great, but like Kiroy said, it just triggers people. I want it to be much better than it is.

I give it huge props because it's pretty much the only modern series that somehow by sheer brute force actually made me no kidding emotional. And I haven't gotten something in my eye watching anything since my first viewing of braveheart.

I think it had a lot to do with the score honestly, not 100% sure but they managed to get me.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Like Jimmy Saks going off the deep end after hearing the joke about his wife. It was totally out of character, for the character.

Not at all, even if he didn't personally care (he called his wife a fatty to her face), you can't be an effective boss and have people talking shit about you behind your back, not in that business.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

First 2 seasons of bloodlines was top notch.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
WTF, that makes no sense. She is one of my most hated TV characters of all time, but I genuinely thought that was intentional. She's right up there with Joffrey on GOT, did an a really excellent job of being hateworthy.

If the show runners genuinely intended her to be sympathetic they failed completely.

Thats what was interesting about BB for me ultimately. There were zero sympathetic characters on that show. Just a bunch of interesting people I hated for different reasons.

If skyler and Dexter's sister (Debra Morgan) were standing in a room and I had a gun and two bullets I'd shoot dexters sister twice.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
This thread just makes me think I really need to get Netflix. Of course I haven't watched shows like BB or Deadwood, either.
You REALLY should *wink wink* and get HBO while you're at it *knudge knudge*.

Or just pirate a few episodes and see if you like them first. I know plenty of people that dislike most of the shows we all think are amazing, but will sit and have deep conversations about NCIS. Different strokes I suppose.

I give it huge props because it's pretty much the only modern series that somehow by sheer brute force actually made me no kidding emotional.
I will 100% give it that, but that was also the problem. The first season "got me". So my expectations for the next season were probably just way too high. It could have been so much more.

I get all teary eyed at tons of shows and movies though so I'm not sure if that really counts. And yes, the score was great. Max Richter did an episode of Black Mirror that was fantastic and his one theme from Arrival was also great.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
If skyler and Dexter's sister (Debra Morgan) were standing in a room and I had a gun and two bullets I'd shoot dexters sister twice.
I'd shoot myself after just listening to them talk for 30 seconds.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'd shoot myself after just listening to them talk for 30 seconds.

Also a viable option in this scenario. My friends and I often debated if you could actually shoot yourself in the head twice like if you sent the synapses to your fingers before that section of the brain was destroyed. Still not 100% sure if it works like that but I also assume I could get two shots off into my own head.

Actually I should ask the clintons....

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user