The Greatest TV Series of All Time

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Also a viable option in this scenario.
Well I just realized that it's only their talking that is annoying. So in a room, you just fire a shot in the air by your left ear, followed by your right ear and boom, enjoy your blessed tinnitus.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I will 100% give it that, but that was also the problem. The first season "got me". So my expectations for the next season were probably just way too high. It could have been so much more.

I get all teary eyed at tons of shows and movies though so I'm not sure if that really counts. And yes, the score was great. Max Richter did an episode of Black Mirror that was fantastic and his one theme from Arrival was also great.

Ya it's my favorite score of all time, because of the emotional response it caused in me. And like I said I don't typically get emotional during shows / movies. Just the sheer terror of being in that situation, combined with the terror of (thinking your) losing your mind, combined with the score. All three seasons got me and I'm in the camp of just loving the ending (lindelof be damned).

It was a very confusing show on a personal emotional level for me and I think that's why I rank it so high. I guess it challenged me emotional? Started to turn me fag or something? No idea.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well I just realized that it's only their talking that is annoying. So in a room, you just fire a shot in the air by your left ear, followed by your right ear and boom, enjoy your blessed tinnitus.

Given what I know I can't look at their faces so i'd also need to claw out my eyes.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
It was a very confusing show on a personal emotional level for me and I think that's why I rank it so high. I guess it challenged me emotional? Started to turn me fag or something? No idea.
c18.gif

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You REALLY should *wink wink* and get HBO while you're at it *knudge knudge*.

Or just pirate a few episodes and see if you like them first. I know plenty of people that dislike most of the shows we all think are amazing, but will sit and have deep conversations about NCIS. Different strokes I suppose.

I have HBO, for whatever reason just never started Deadwood.

Merrith

Do it. It's a fantastic show (regardless of me busting @chaos about it). Also based on real people and quite a bit is somewhat historically accurate.

After I catch up on Mr. Robot it'll be next on the list.

Also when is Westworld S2 starting, and what is the general consensus on The Deuce? Worth watching or nah?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I am afraid to see what they do with the second seasons of Stranger Things and Westworld. Both of them could have ended just fine as is

dizzie

Triggered Happy
After I catch up on Mr. Robot it'll be next on the list.

Also when is Westworld S2 starting, and what is the general consensus on The Deuce? Worth watching or nah?

The Deuce is great, good characters and really nails it with the setting. Not super fast paced though, typical David Simon. Well worth a look.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm really liking The Deuce. It's excellent TV.

I can't believe I forgot about Fargo. Another candidate for one of the greatest all time. And that's with Season 3 being a slight letdown. But that's only because the first two seasons are perfection. Not a single complaint.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Maybe we should have a thread called the greatest TV seasons of all time. We did the series shit to death already - this is probably the 10th time this question has been asked. When it comes to seasons of shows the pot is way more mixed.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I feel like it did have a strong central narrative. It's focus is the family and the leadership of that particular crime syndicate. They did have a lot of episodes that could have worked as one offs, but I feel like it was tied to the larger story.

lol, I wasn't saying it didn't have a main narrative or story to follow - my point was that it was made just before I guess 24 showed that you could make one plotline last an entire series and have each individual episode following and driving that storyline forward. Then I suppose The Wire and LOST also contributed to the acceptance of the idea that a quality/prestige series follows the story arc formula.

I quibble with his nomination of The Sopranos as the cause of this phenomenon – within the main HBO canon, Sopranos is actually the least novelistic show, as individual episodes were (as David Chase has said a number of times) structured more like short stories in a thematic collection rather than chapters in a single novel. I’ve read a great (forthcoming) essay by Sean O’Sullivan that explores this point, highlighting how two of the show’s most acclaimed episodes, “College” and “Pine Barrens,” are highly stand-alone entries, and as a whole, the show is far less serialized than most other acclaimed 21st century dramas. The Wire is a much better culprit in McGee’s scenario, as its episodes offer almost no self-contained plotlines – it’s nearly impossible for new viewers to watch a random episode of the show out-of-context and make sense of it, aside from season premieres

No, The Sopranos Didn’t Ruin Television

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Maybe we should have a thread called the greatest TV seasons of all time. We did the series shit to death already - this is probably the 10th time this question has been asked. When it comes to seasons of shows the pot is way more mixed.
So S3 of The Wire then?

Well that was easy.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What about current shows that you think have a ton of potential? Netflix has been killing it with some of their newer shows. Narcos, Mindhunter, Ozark. Depending on how those shows shake out they could really rise up the top show pecking order.
Ozark is already upper tier for me. First season was absolutely amazing. I imagine it's going to tumble a bit in season 2, because there's no way they can match what they've already done.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Stranger Things is seriously good but it's not in GOAT territory. Westworld has got a shot if season two delivers.

yerm

Ozark is already upper tier for me. First season was absolutely amazing. I imagine it's going to tumble a bit in season 2, because there's no way they can match what they've already done.

I feel the opposite. I think they set up incredible potential if they don't fuck it up and have incredibly high hopes for season 2. Versus say Westworld which I assume will be a step down even if great.

For GOAT I think Deep Space 9 may be it... and I am not even a trekkie. A rare mix of standalone episodes that flow in a story, and very powerful characters without being too sappy. Really good shit there.

Game or Thrones is my favorite but I think It's too recent/ongoing and there's too many feels there from liking books to be objective.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I think we've done it with episodes. Like breaking bad has some overall problems and isn't perfect but some of the episodes are the best hour of TV i've ever watched. Similarly, in BSG when they drop the battlestar into the planets atmosphere to launch fighters and then blinked out. That shit got me hard. That's more "best scene" though than best episode.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Stranger Things is seriously good but it's not in GOAT territory. Westworld has got a shot if season two delivers.

I don't think westworld deserves a spot in here. It's some really great high quality sci fi but it had some serious fucking logical problems.