The Greatest TV Series of All Time

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Not even. Dude couldn't cook a single thing.

I've posted photographic proof of my cooking ability in the cooking thread. I'm a phenomenal cook, I just choose to eat delicious grbage.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Well that was quick and easy...

The answer is Seinfeld. Funny at the time, infinitely rewatchable, and a huge cultural impact. If you didn't find it funny it means you're a bad person, so it's great as a test of character, too.

Funny at the time and yet infinitely rewatchable? I think you hit the nail exactly right. Seinfeld is GREAT. I love Seinfeld. I drop quotes from the show on an almost daily basis. It had a MASSIVE impact on me and my(our?) generation. It's witty, tragic and goddamn hilarious.

But...at the end of the day, it's a multicam, studio sitcom with better jokes than the thousands of other shows that look and feel exactly like it. Even If it was the first(it wasn't by far) the formula was so easily copied by lesser writers and producers that we got half a dozen other shows with the same premise, that went on to reach similar accolades.

Let me give you a single exchange that sums up Seinfeld.

"This is the show.”
“What?”
“This. Just talking.”
“Yeah. Right… Just talking? What’s the show about?”
“It’s about nothing.”
“No story?”
“No, forget the story.”
“You’ve got to have a story.”
“Who says you gotta have a story?

That IS Seinfeld. The problem is, after a certain point...youve created a story. A narrative was built. Characters became caricatures. Situations had to go further because the story (which, remember..there was none) had to somehow advance.

Over the years the jokes got stale, the reactions from the main four became predictable and while the very strong comedic writing never fell too far off, it became a story about 4 people with no story to tell.

Nevermind the simple fact that the production itself was lazy, it repeated itself numerous times and at the end of the day...it was just a safe show.

I love it and it's in my top ten, but Seinfeld is not the greatest television show ever made.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Well that was quick and easy...

Funny at the time and yet infinitely rewatchable? I think you hit the nail exactly right. Seinfeld is GREAT. I love Seinfeld. I drop quotes from the show on an almost daily basis. It had a MASSIVE impact on me and my(our?) generation. It's witty, tragic and goddamn hilarious.

But...at the end of the day, it's a multicam, studio sitcom with better jokes than the thousands of other shows that look and feel exactly like it. Even If it was the first(it wasn't by far) the formula was so easily copied by lesser writers and producers that we got half a dozen other shows with the same premise, that went on to reach similar accolades.

Let me give you a single exchange that sums up Seinfeld.

"This is the show.”
“What?”
“This. Just talking.”
“Yeah. Right… Just talking? What’s the show about?”
“It’s about nothing.”
“No story?”
“No, forget the story.”
“You’ve got to have a story.”
“Who says you gotta have a story?

That IS Seinfeld. The problem is, after a certain point...youve created a story. A narrative was built. Characters became caricatures. Situations had to go further because the story (which, remember..there was none) had to somehow advance.

Over the years the jokes got stale, the reactions from the main four became predictable and while the very strong comedic writing never fell too far off, it became a story about 4 people with no story to tell.

Nevermind the simple fact that the production itself was lazy, it repeated itself numerous times and at the end of the day...it was just a safe show.

I love it and it's in my top ten, but Seinfeld is not the greatest television show ever made.
Your opinion is bad and you are demonstrably incorrect, but...
cUvCqhO.gif

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
"Best" is a pretty loose metric, but I get that the whole point of the running gag is to point out how subjectivity is objectivity.

I'd honestly find it hard to pick a 'best' TV show.

Breaking Bad is fantastic, but since finding out Skyler is supposed to be likeable, I feel like they did a terrible job characterising her. The only thing I felt whilst watching Anna Gunn in that role was frustration which is what I thought I was supposed to feel, but alas.

True Detective S1, is great for a single watch but is a lot worse on subsequent viewings. It's still fantastic though.

The Wire had terrible pacing in certain seasons (S5 in particular) which really sours the entire experience for me.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I actually really love that show but it triggers so many people.

Okay fine i'll switch it to the wire and giver sopranos runner up.
I gotta watch the Leftovers. I caught part of some episode one day and it looked alright.
Sopranos needs to be on that list, but I agree.
Sopranos is definitely somewhere in the top 10.

I remember having huge discussions about that finale. I'm in the camp that interprets the show ending the way it started. Just as the very first scene cuts in, the last scene cuts out. The tension and shit is palpable but Tony did not get whacked.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I gotta watch the Leftovers. I caught part of some episode one day and it looked alright.
The Leftovers is great, but like Kiroy said, it just triggers people. I want it to be much better than it is.

I remember having huge discussions about that finale. I'm in the camp that interprets the show ending the way it started. Just as the very first scene cuts in, the last scene cuts out. The tension and shit is palpable but Tony did not get whacked.
Oh, he's dead.

Remember when Bobby Bacala told Tony on the boat, "When it happens, you probably don't even hear it."?

cut to black

Tonys dead and my headcannon has that fucking indestructible Russian Trunk Tank Spetsnaz fuck doing the deed because I get hard just thinking about it.

I love these kinds of threads because everyone here has good taste. All these shows are "Good" or "Great" and so you get to min/max and nitpick all the silly crap that goes into telling a visual story.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Seinfeld is great, really great. CYE is better.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The Leftovers is great, but like Kiroy said, it just triggers people. I want it to be much better than it is.

Oh, he's dead.

Remember when Bobby Bacala told Tony on the boat, "When it happens, you probably don't even hear it."?

cut to black

Tonys dead and my headcannon has that fucking indestructible Russian Trunk Tank Spetsnaz fuck doing the deed because I get hard just thinking about it.

I love these kinds of threads because everyone here has good taste. All these shows are "Good" or "Great" and so you get to min/max and nitpick all the silly crap that goes into telling a visual story.
Nah, the ending is meant to convey the paranoia Tony has to live with. He will get whacked eventually, you can count on it, but it wasn't at that restaurant.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
"Best" is a pretty loose metric, but I get that the whole point of the running gag is to point out how subjectivity is objectivity.

I'd honestly find it hard to pick a 'best' TV show.

Breaking Bad is fantastic, but since finding out Skyler is supposed to be likeable, I feel like they did a terrible job characterising her. The only thing I felt whilst watching Anna Gunn in that role was frustration which is what I thought I was supposed to feel, but alas.

True Detective S1, is great for a single watch but is a lot worse on subsequent viewings. It's still fantastic though.

The Wire had terrible pacing in certain seasons (S5 in particular) which really sours the entire experience for me.
It's telling that everyone thinks season 5 is The Wire's low point, myself included.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Nah, the ending is meant to convey the paranoia Tony has to live with. He will get whacked eventually, you can count on it, but it wasn't at that restaurant.
So you're saying even you didn't hear it coming?

Oooooooo....Hubris Tony. Hubris.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
As someone who never watched The Sopranos until now (on season 4 currently). It's not even in the conversation as best show ever. Sorry. There are way too many "What? Why the fuck is this happening all of a sudden" moments in the show. Lots of plot holes purely for fan service.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great show, but it's not in the conversation.